• April 25, 2024, 08:12:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Domino Premium throttle to replace stock Magura throttle  (Read 5065 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Domino Premium throttle to replace stock Magura throttle
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »

After damaging some of the plastic cogs on the stock Magura throttle on my Zero SR (it seems I was too heavy handed in changing grips) I bought and fitted a Domino Premium Full Twist Grip throttle as a replacement/upgrade.

I'd read one or two reviews on this throttle being better quality than the stock Zero Magura throttles and after damaging the Magura wanted to go to something a bit more robust.

I've been very impressed with the Domino. It has a reduced degree of twist to full open throttle compared to the Magura and a more solid feel and construction. It runs a five wire set up rather than the stock 3 wires of the Magura, the two extra wires provide a status of whether the throttle is closed or not (although controllers like the Sevcon can work this out anyway). I wired it to the Sevcon as a direct replacement with the following wire combination:

B- / Ground => Orange with Black stripe on Zero/Magura is the same as the White on Domino
Throttle signal => Brown on Zero/Magura is the same as Black on Domino
5V => Blue  on Zero is the same as  Blue on Domino

No need to make any adjustments to the Sevcon controller as the Domino comfortable handles the same voltage range used by the Zero approx 0-11V.

Here's some images of the Domino throttle. If you damage your existing Zero throttle or are just after a better quality unit give the Domino a try, you won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:19:31 PM by dgh853 »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

teddillard

Re: Domino Premium throttle to replace stock Magura throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree.  I did a little "review" of it on my blog: https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/5k-ohm-throttles-domino-vs-magura/

...been really happy with it. 

Here's the Domino action:

...and the Magura action:

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »

Does anyone know what kind of connectors Zero uses on their throttles, or a possible source for them?  I found some Dorman connectors online that look somewhat similar, but I don't know for sure - thanks.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

Does anyone know what kind of connectors Zero uses on their throttles, or a possible source for them?  I found some Dorman connectors online that look somewhat similar, but I don't know for sure - thanks.

Ray

Maybe can point you in the right direction.  Zero uses a lot of the same connectors and such from Buell since I was able to buy a cigarette charging port from Buell that worked for the Zero.  I would look at Buell stuff before trying to compare connectors randomly but then again this is for the throttle so it maybe different.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

OK, I'll do that - thanks for the tip.  I've looked at a few already but they were power connectors, the one on the Zero throttle is probably more like a TPS or low-level data type connector.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »

Very cool. My 2014 throttle had been good so far but my 2010 failed so I'm not a fan either. I pulled the fded one apart and the plastic gears are sloppy and poorly mounted. More importantly it's just a potentiometer right? So to me although build quality is well worth the price to me, a higher quality pot is key too. Any idea if the pot is better ?

teddillard

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

I didn't tear it down to compare the pots, but the Domino is sealed better (one reason I didn't tear it down).  The first one I got had a higher rating than the Magura, and it was replaced with the new model that was even better.  "Let’s not forget that the Domino enjoys an IP-54 rating, which means “protection against the elements for your outdoor security equipment, as long as they are not submersed in water”.  That must be what they mean by “sealed”.  The Magura has no such rating."

...and: "A little update on the Domino - I just learned they upgraded the pot to IP67 specs."

Pretty much the highest rating short of continuous immersion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

The Energica is running a Domino, I was interested to see.

(photo on this post, too lazy to pull it and re-size)
https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/the-energica-ego-ride-bike-review/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:56:46 PM by teddillard »

Sfmackem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »

Glad I found this thread.

Looks like my 2014 S (I’m in Taiwan, probably the very first bike here), has developed a throttle problem, do the Domino upgrade will be the route I go.
Pages: [1]