• April 25, 2024, 09:51:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So much for BMW "quality"  (Read 781 times)

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
So much for BMW "quality"
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »

I was riding in the habor area, which is all cobblestone, on the BMW C-Evolution. After a while (riding a bit too fast), I heard a loud snap and the front mudguard went off. Four bolts had snapped through the plastic.

Luckily I was close to a good friend, who is the Honda dealer for the area (and former BMW rep). The mechanic there said that the mudguard was pierced, and then BMW put a bolt to the front drive. No washers, stoppers or anything preventing the plastic from tearing. Which is what happened, the vibrations forced the screw down until it left the mudguard.

The Honda mechanic placed metal washers on both side, and tightened new bolts. Now it feels stable and firm.

So much for German build quality.....

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: So much for BMW "quality"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 03:58:10 AM »

I always buy a first year BMW model - and I always live to regret it.   ::)

It typically takes two to three years for BMW to work all of the bugs out of their bikes - and about that time they discard it and start all over again with a new model (their F/G650GS single being an exception).   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]