• April 26, 2024, 08:27:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regen Braking  (Read 1447 times)

Bogan

• View Profile
Regen Braking
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »

Has anyone had experience with the inner workings of regen braking. I am designing my own controller, with variable regen braking (done by PWMing the flyback FET at low duty cycle), firstly is this gonna work? the internet told me it would :P Secondly, what sort of currents will flow into the battery and is it possible to cause any damage, im running lead acid AGMs so i wud expect them to tolerate it better than others. I also have decoupling caps on the motor driver so it should take all the voltage nastys out before the betteries "see" them.

Reaper

• View Profile
Re: Regen Braking
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:23:33 AM »

Has anyone had experience with the inner workings of regen braking. I am designing my own controller, with variable regen braking (done by PWMing the flyback FET at low duty cycle), firstly is this gonna work? the internet told me it would :P Secondly, what sort of currents will flow into the battery and is it possible to cause any damage, im running lead acid AGMs so i wud expect them to tolerate it better than others. I also have decoupling caps on the motor driver so it should take all the voltage nastys out before the betteries "see" them.

I'll let you know when I get done with my project (my controller is supposed to have regen).

But I hear mixed reviews coming from people I've talked to.  A lot of folks that I talked to said that the regen on their controllers (I think that they were referencing the Sevcon Millipak PMAC) was "so-so."  I am not sure what that means.  I am assuming that they got the batteries to recharge somewhat, but that recharge rate wasn't really substantial.

I know that's not of much help but I am still a newbie trying to learn the game :)  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:28:26 AM by Reaper »
Pages: [1]