• March 28, 2024, 04:17:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LED Spots  (Read 2417 times)

mikeisted

• View Profile
LED Spots
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Added a couple of these 12W U5 Cree LED spots to my Zero.  They mount directly on the lower headlamps bolts.  They project a square 'image', so it's easy to line up the top edge with the dipped beam, so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Initial impressions are that they are seriously bright...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:40:56 AM by mikeisted »

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
Re: LED Spots
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:53:35 AM »

Wow, that's gotta be the cleanest install of aftermarket lights I've seen in a long time. Where did you buy these? How much were they? Are those brackets standard with the lights?

(and just a nag, but can you put thumbnails of the images in?)
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:07:07 AM »

Yes Indeed — A very clean install with those LEDs !!
It looks like they were actually designed and intended for that mounting location.
Thanks for the post.
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »

They look like OEM and made for the Zero. They match the design style of the bike perfectly.
Can you also tell us more about the PUIG screen, it also looks great on the Zero.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:52:29 AM »

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. 

The spots are from ebay - there are a number which all seem to be the same.  I ordered mine from the UK at £16 each but they are cheaper if supplied from Hong Kong (£10-£12).  Here is a link to one of them: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-125W-CREE-U5-LED-Driving-Fog-Head-Spot-White-Light-Lamp-Headlight-/151577639476

The spots are supplied in a cage in two parts which allows them to be mounted and angled.  However, the outer part fouls the fairing on full lock, so I simply removed it and just used the inside cage.  I inserted a small rubber grommet at the back of the cage to route the wire safely before feeding it behind the forks.

The 12V feed is from the accessories line - already fused at 10A.  I have terminated this inside a project box under the 'tank' cover and broken it out into the two led feeds and one for a USB supply.

Apologies for the big pictures - now corrected.

I'll check out which Puig screen it is and post again.

Cheers

Mike

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:45:53 AM »

BTW, the screen is the Universal Puig Black Stream Screen, costing around £70 here in the UK.  I can post mounting pictures if wanted.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »

Having washed my bike, I noticed some water ingress into the spots.  No damage, but rather messes up the optics.  I believe it is getting in via the thread of the top mounting bolt.  Some thread lock should sort it, but I'll keep this thread posted.
Pages: [1]