• March 29, 2024, 02:59:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First Ride  (Read 1549 times)

Worksoptony

• View Profile
First Ride
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »

Took delivery of a 2014 Zero S 11.4. (Black). Only 650 miles on the clock. What a brilliant ride. I enjoyed it when I had a demo ride. But the ride is brilliant. Such smooth delivery of power, the bike is so well balanced. Just knocked out 70 miles this afternoon. My only gripe is that the back brake is squeaking at low speed, which is a little annoying, I want the bike to be as quiet as can be. I notice on the forum others have had a similar problem. Perhaps I'll have to use the back brake a lot to see if a bit of wear will stop it. Didn't use the back brake at all today, regen and front brake was all I needed. Ride safe everybody :D

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
Re: First Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »

Yes, gentle wear took care of it on both ends of my SR. I have a bad habit of not using my rear brake at all, so I had to start using it, and the squeak stopped. (I used to have bikes where the rear brake locked if you looked at it hard)

Don't use WD-40 on them, like a friend did on his '87 Hurricane...
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »

For sure WD - 40 will be stupid! No, just brake hard a few times (do it safely of course ), it should help.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

Took delivery of a 2014 Zero S 11.4. (Black). Only 650 miles on the clock. What a brilliant ride. I enjoyed it when I had a demo ride. But the ride is brilliant. Such smooth delivery of power, the bike is so well balanced. Just knocked out 70 miles this afternoon. My only gripe is that the back brake is squeaking at low speed, which is a little annoying, I want the bike to be as quiet as can be. I notice on the forum others have had a similar problem. Perhaps I'll have to use the back brake a lot to see if a bit of wear will stop it. Didn't use the back brake at all today, regen and front brake was all I needed. Ride safe everybody :D

I assume that was the Streetbike one?

If so, may I extend my hand... and welcome you to the UK Resistance. :)

The rear brake is a sod, and requires a fair bit of running in. I changed the pads on mine to a slightly softer set, and that cured a number of ills.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:20:32 AM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »

Hi Justin,

Yes it was the Streetbike demo bike. Glad to join the small band of Electric Motorcyclists in the UK. looking forward to promoting the bikes to anybody prepared to listen. I'll be saying to any motorcyclists don't knock Electric until you've tried it.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:49:52 AM »

Nice to have another UK Zero rider, we few, we proud few.
I found most bikers receptive once they have had a look, or after letting my mates have a go.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:02 AM »

Congrats on the purchase Tony. I dearly wanted to buy that bike myself but my wife gave me reality check. I must get in touch with Jason at Streetbike to hear his latest news. There was talk of zero coming back to the UK, perhaps with a dealership in London.

No more test rides for me though, it just gets me obsessing about how I might scrape the money together and take the plunge.

Do please stick with this forum and let us know how you get on. I'm so glad I didn't go for one of the fated 2012 models. Justin seems to be getting on well with his '13 model and there's confidence you'll do well with your '14.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »

Congratulations on the new toy!

I'm also enjoying my new Zero SR. I also had a 2012 S which worked fine for me for the three years I had it. I traded it in on my new Zero and the dealership sold my old one in two weeks. It only had about 10K miles on it - I'm sure it will run fine for years to come.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »

Congrats on the purchase Tony. I dearly wanted to buy that bike myself but my wife gave me reality check. I must get in touch with Jason at Streetbike to hear his latest news. There was talk of zero coming back to the UK, perhaps with a dealership in London.

No more test rides for me though, it just gets me obsessing about how I might scrape the money together and take the plunge.

Do please stick with this forum and let us know how you get on. I'm so glad I didn't go for one of the fated 2012 models. Justin seems to be getting on well with his '13 model and there's confidence you'll do well with your '14.

I'd imagine if and when Zero come back to the UK, Streetbike will also grab a dealership as well. I'll be popping over there in the next week or so, so I'll try and see if there is any gossip.
I'm pretty certain I'll be in the market for a 2016 model, but that is conditional on UK availability and support.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:05:38 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »

The 2012 S that I gave my daughter is still running fine after 10K miles (better than her 1981 BMW R65LS, which tends to leak gasoline when you place it on the side stand).   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »

Not all bad news with the 2012's then!

Justin: I hope you're planning for the 2016 SR.  They just sound like so much fun!

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:15 AM »

Not all bad news with the 2012's then!

Justin: I hope you're planning for the 2016 SR.  They just sound like so much fun!

Either an S with power tank, or an SR without. Not decided yet, leaning towards SR.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:57:18 PM »

Saw this video on the 2015 SR.  That's a big brake fluid reservoir.

http://youtu.be/vLPaU064ZfQ

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 06:37:20 PM »

Just saw Richard's comment on the R65 leaking fuel when on the sidestand. Apologies for the off topic bit to follow.....

That's a sticking float Richard. Tapping with a hammer solves it in the short term (or with your boot for the even shorter term). Clean the carb properly is an option too.

And they're called "Bings" cos that's the noise they make when you finally throw them in the trash can.
Peter
Pages: [1]