• April 25, 2024, 01:20:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Zero 2016  (Read 12722 times)

kensiko

• View Profile
Zero 2016
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »

2015 was a great "upgrade" bike, but we are still waiting for major improvements (EV part).

I heard that the 2016 specs are already defined and that there's something great coming... It's supposed to be kept secret so I don't want to push my source to get more info, but we can speculate.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »

I hope something great is coming. 2016 is my target year for replacing my existing bike. Assuming a Zero re-entry to the UK that is...

Based on previous rumours, I'll lay my bets on
- A Sports Fairing Version, with attention paid to drag reduction.
- A onboard fast charging J1772 based option.

I'm less confident about a big increase in battery capacity, as I'm not aware of any sudden battery chemistry improvements that are close to market, though I'm quite happy to be wrong on this account. ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:42:30 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »

They could try a touring Zero with 20+ kWh battery? OFC it would be heavy, but it would be for touring.

Price would increase to 25000$++ probably.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:35 AM »

They could try a touring Zero with 20+ kWh battery? OFC it would be heavy, but it would be for touring.

The question is where they put the weight. Lets say they packed in two of the 4 module units side by side (yes it would be a wide bike) it would likely not be hard to pick up and it would feel a lot lighter than if they packed the weight on high.

I had to lift my bike off the ground this morning and was very surprised how light it felt. It was lighter than my ninja 250 would have been in the same location 0_0

It would be cheaper to just make a really good cowl to get extra distance but it wouldn't look anything like a traditional touring bike if they did. :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »

new technologie batterie, like lithium souffre it will be 3x more capacite for the same Wight

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:04:54 AM »

The question is where they put the weight. Lets say they packed in two of the 4 module units side by side (yes it would be a wide bike) it would likely not be hard to pick up and it would feel a lot lighter than if they packed the weight on high.

20 kWh might be achieved if they modify their current box shape for the battery, to accommodate leg room and weight distribution. I don't see a wider rectangular box making sense in its current form; that would make drag reduction even more difficult. Simultaneously, once they commit to a fairing, the product design would have to focus on maintaining (or improving) battery and motor ventilation.

A range-boosting fairing and a strong L2/L3 charging solution would top my wish list, anyway, and would be more effective at increasing the bike's usefulness.

Of course, this is all speculation and it sounds like Zero has locked in a design that they're happy with, which is good because that gives them a year to test it and keep costs reasonable. I would definitely bet against a battery chemistry change.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:28:50 AM »

new technologie batterie, like lithium souffre it will be 3x more capacite for the same Wight

I just searched google for "lithium sulfur commercially available" and I have found no manufactures. There is no way they could find their way into a 2016 less zero makes their own battery which overcomes the current limitations of the compound.

How many years does battery tech have to be commercially available before they are found in EV's? Anyone know of historical cases for this where the EV doesn't cost as much as a house?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:01:42 AM »

...(yes it would be a wide bike)...

Actually it surprised me when I got my bike just how narrow it is through the "chest" area. Way, way narrower than just about any four-cylinder ICE bike, anyhow. And remember the Benelli Sei and the Honda CBX? I think two "monoliths" would fit side-by-side just fine, and although I'd hate the price tag of a bike like that, I'd certainly love the range! It still wouldn't be a terribly heavy bike, and with the CG very low I think it would handle fine.

I'm kind of glad that bike wasn't available when I bought my SR, though. I'd have been sorely tempted, and the SR destroyed my budget quite enough!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »

I would love to see some kind of fairing. Yesterday was very windy and I was on the freeway - the wind wasn't a problem when I was heading West as it was a quartering tailwind but when I turned around later to come home I was getting blasted by up to 40 mile-per-hour gusts (at least that was what was reported at a nearby location, and it sure felt like it). I should have paid more attention to the trees in my backyard which were being whipped all over the place. I finally couldn't take anymore and got off onto surface streets. Anything to help the bike cut through the wind would be welcome.

Edit: Getting off the freeway did have its upside. I stopped at the exit light and a Ferrari pulled up next to me. It wasn't the 458, as it did not have the triple exhaust, it had quad exhausts - two on each side but it wasn't the 430 either - maybe a California? It was a beautiful gray car. In any case he took off kind of hard so I pinned it. I caught and passed him very quickly but let off at about 60 since we were in at 45 mph zone though there was no traffic. I'm not a complete idiot, and I don't want to go to jail. He caught me and went roaring by, probably doubling the speed limit and making a beautiful noise. Damn I'm having fun on this bike!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:32:01 AM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:32 AM »

A 20 kWh battery pack version would likely convince me to get off my 2014 S and on to that bike.  But I am not holding my breath.  I don't think there is a large enough market at the price they would have to charge for that model.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »

Trying to turn an electric motorcycle into a touring bike wouldn't be an improvement to me. The bikes are also heavy and expensive enough. Time to return to emphasize what electric bikes do best...use all that torque effortlessly. Give me a very fast accelerating bike under 400 lbs. I don't care what the range is.

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 06:16:45 AM »

I know that they keep improving these bikes, but I REALLY want one now and hope that I don't buy one only to wish that I had waited until the 2016 model. I really wish I knew what to expect so I can make a decision to buy now or wait another year. If it is only minor tweaks I could care less, but if it was something really cool I would be disappointed, since they cost an arm & a leg so not like I can just go buy another one. I really wanted the ABS so I think I might just have to take a chance that next years won't be that much better,
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »

What would be really sweet is if Zero could make some of the new features backwards compatible so current owners can pay a certain price to get their old bikes upgraded.

For example, I would pay the money for the 2014-15 dashboard. But fortunately those arnt backwards compatible.

KenMac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:15 PM »

What would be really sweet is if Zero could make some of the new features backwards compatible so current owners can pay a certain price to get their old bikes upgraded.

For example, I would pay the money for the 2014-15 dashboard. But fortunately those arnt backwards compatible.

Agreed, that could be a nice option.
'06 BMW R1200GS, '03 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, '03 Suzuki DL1000 (traded for SR), 2015 Zero SR

KenMac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »

I know that they keep improving these bikes, but I REALLY want one now and hope that I don't buy one only to wish that I had waited until the 2016 model. I really wish I knew what to expect so I can make a decision to buy now or wait another year. If it is only minor tweaks I could care less, but if it was something really cool I would be disappointed, since they cost an arm & a leg so not like I can just go buy another one. I really wanted the ABS so I think I might just have to take a chance that next years won't be that much better,

I just broke down and got a 2015.  I think the question to ask yourself is will the current one do what you need it to do?  If so, get it and enjoy.  If you keep waiting then there will always be a better one next year to keep waiting on...
'06 BMW R1200GS, '03 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, '03 Suzuki DL1000 (traded for SR), 2015 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7