• March 28, 2024, 08:22:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 FX headlight  (Read 1288 times)

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
2013 FX headlight
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:45:25 AM »

Hey all,

I'm interested in installing a JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 headlight on my 2013 FX.  It's a 7 inch sealed beam.  Has anyone tried this?  How's it work?

Thanks!

- Fred
2020 Zero SR/F Premium, 12kW Dub-J charging (disappointed; sold)
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2013 Zero FX ZF5.7 (sold)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: 2013 FX headlight
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:39:41 AM »

I have one on my 2013 S, I am not sure if your triple tree is the same but I do know you will need a 7" headlight bucket, and a you will need to make a custom mount for it. It is plug and play with a standard H4 bulb adaptor on the bike so no wiring mods needed.

EDIT CORRECTION:
You will need to wire the three leads coming out of the bucket to a male H4 connector or their pins. This will plug into your existing H4 connector and the H4 from the 8700 will plug into the one inside the headlight housing.

I ordered my 7 inch headlight bucket from speedwaymotors and it seems to be ok. I did have to replace 3 rivets as they came loose but did not break so your millage may vary. If you didn't want to go a bucket route and wanted to go with stock H4 to H4 on the 8700 then you could fabricate a 1/4" aluminum holder and keep an exposed back on the 8700 ... there are many options. Either way you are going to be making something to hold the light.

Up close of v1 of the bracket with in the first 1:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QDJAO5K1T0&list=PL9QUUIIdnTqkWeDNdGdTneDyNmxo9tGBZ&index=27

Up close of V0 of the bracket before extending it in v1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgwLhx6yU4&list=PL9QUUIIdnTqkWeDNdGdTneDyNmxo9tGBZ&index=26

Up close of V1 of the bracket (first one I am talking about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptat8QpttI&list=PL9QUUIIdnTqkWeDNdGdTneDyNmxo9tGBZ&index=25

Up close of bottom of V2 of the bracket as it is now on the bike (yes that is salt from the snow storm I was riding in yesterday nigh)

Top of V2 still same as V1 inspection video

Bike as it is now less the front insulation / plastic and regen lever you see in previous two pictures

Bike as it was with V1 bracket before topcase and winter and regen mods
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:41:53 AM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »

Thanks, Burton; that helps immensely.  8). The 2013 FX already has a headlight bucket; I'm not certain if it's 7 inch (I'm out of town at the moment, so can't measure right now), but it probably is.  If I can manage to pull the trigger on the big expense, I'll give it a try shortly.  I presume the JW Speaker is really that good?!  :D

Cheers,

- Fred

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »

On my ninja 250 I installed a mini morimoto bi-xeon HID projector... it is crazy bright, and I thought I would never he happy again with any light outside an illegal HID Projector.

I had been looking at the LED's from JW Speaker for a while and the cost is what kept me from getting it. But when you calculate the cost for H4 bulb replacement over the life of your LED light the LED makes more sense. And ... it is freaking awesome. While it isn't as blinding as the HID it is very crisp and easily looks brighter than any street legal light you will ever install. And it is just that, the brightest light you can legally install in the US.

I bought it and a pair of 4" fog lights I am going to install in my vetter cowl. I am very happy with my purchase.

It looks like the headlight might be a 5.5 on the FX. But even if it is you will be in luck as the mount is a solo mount, the same as many aftermarket buckets.

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »

Okay, I'm sold. Just ordered one.  ;D  I got a good price, so no big deal if it doesn't work out.  I'll follow up with the outcome...  Thanks again!

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:25:17 AM »

Okay, as threatened, here's my follow up...

The stock light is indeed a 5 3/4" or thereabouts.  I bought a 7" bucket from Dime City Cycles and mounted it with brackets to the forks.  I had to remove the stock mount for it all to fit, but it came out great!  I haven't been out at night yet, but it seems awesome so far.  Here's a photo...

Cheers,

- Fred

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:29:38 AM »

While I'm at it, here are a couple photos of the other mod I did, permanently mounting the Quiq charger using the Zero rear rack.  I wired it in to the socket for the AC input on the bike, so now it charges fast, every time, everywhere.  Looks a little funny, but works great!

Happy to have a sunny day in the Rockies,

- Fred

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:19:02 AM »

Get out there man :)

You will be thrilled how bright that thing is ;)

Don't forget to aim it down the road right!
Pages: [1]