• April 25, 2024, 08:10:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Volta is back?!  (Read 1518 times)

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Volta is back?!
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

After more than 1,5 years of complete silence it seems that Volta is back.

They posted this on facebook:

After long time without hearing from us we are happy to announce you that we’re back!
The road had been long and plenty of obstacles, but we overcame all these challenges.
We know that we are in debt with all of you and for this reason, we are working hard to be on the market very soon.
We recently started the production process and we will keep you informed in detail in the coming weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/voltamotorbikes

But if they come to market with the bike as it was 2 years ago then they are way behind on the competition. In any case it will be interesting to see what they will announce!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Volta is back?!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »

Not impressed, 100's of photo shopped colour schemes, no specs. may have been ok 5 years ago.
Vaporware, So many make announcements and have nothing to show.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »

The Volta design looks like it has been finalized, along with the specifications and price.  Personally I like the looks of the Volta.  Kind of like a modernized version of the Brammo Enertia.  It should make a good city commuter though, if the price is right for the European market.  But it wouldn't sell in the U.S. as the power and range are years behind what the market is looking for:

http://cleanrider.com/europe-volta-finally-coming/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »

It will be interesting to see if there is a market for smaller size electric motorcycles

There isn't - at least not without a huge marketing push and dealer base.

Brammo tried with the 3.2 kWh Enertia in 2009. I don't think they had much of a euro push, and it was quite a bit less powerful. Pricing would have been around 8000 euros if released in europe.

Brammo tried again in 2013 with the 6.2 kWh Enertia Plus. This time they had a bit more of a euro push, and they sold a few bikes. Still less powerful than the Volta and still no storage, but double the capacity and around the same price.

Zero tried with the 2.5 kWh XU in 2013. I recall it being priced around 8000 euros. No storage, and a little less powerful / capacity. They discontinued the XU model a year later.

I don't think a market exists for a small electric bike priced at $8000 or the euro equivalent.

There's a saying, which I'm going to butcher: "bad products don't exist, only bad prices."

There's a market for these small bikes. Low weight, low range and performance requirements. This market is served now by 50-125cc gas scooters, which are great for urban riding at a cost of $3000-4000 (or euro equivalent). Generally speaking, these bikes are fuel efficient enough and are driven so few miles that fuel cost is negligible. Maintenance cost is not insignificant, but these scooters I suspect are ridden into the ground and then scrapped for another second-hand model every ~5 years.

There's another market for large bikes, and this is clearly what Zero is pivoting towards. Good street performance, useful highway commuting range and enough backroad range to do some reasonable pleasure rides. This market is less price sensitive and more prevalent in the US.

As mentioned above, both Brammo and Zero have tilted at the high-price small-bike market and withdrew bloodied. Chinese manufacturers selling questionable quality lead acid electrics are the only manufacturers that are successfully selling small electrics, and they're doing so by offering products at inexpensive prices. Various other manufacturers have essentially rebranded these small electrics and given them a coat of lipstick. None have really made it to market.

Last year, Yamaha discussed bringing the PES1 and PED1 small bikes to market. I suspect these could be sold at close to the $3000-4000 scooter price point if the concept-only bits are dropped and they are manufactured in volume (10k units/year). Yamaha hasn't announced anything since April, or any real specifications or pricing. So we'll see what they do.

Gogoro has made noise recently about targeting the urban scooter market in select cities, along with rolling out rental battery charging stations. It's an interesting approach with a lot of potential, but I hope their investors have deep pockets and very patient.

But Volta? Best of luck, but I don't see them succeeding where others have failed.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »

I sat on one in 2011 at Eicma, and it looked almost production ready. Quite sexy, solid, of course no way to know how the engine was since they were static, not running on the test area.

I've always thought they would become the European answer to Zero/Brammo.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »

70km average range, on 3kWh...?

I reckon with real world riding you'll be lucky to get half of that.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »

Here are a couple of quick photos I took of the bike.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:33:48 AM »

I think Protomech is right on with his analysis of the Volta and low-power electric vehicles in general. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 02:00:05 AM »

Well, the former Brammo importer for the Netherlands is now listing the Volta as being available for ordering.

If the Volta is to succeed anywhere, the Netherlands is the best place. Level 2 chargers in every corner of the country and a big scooter fan-share.

They are a little bit more pricey than expected but let's see how it goes.

http://electricmotorcycles.nl/volta-motorbikes

kingcharles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »

I just noticed that you can already ride one!

There is quite a fleet of them at the annual Dutch motorcycle show!
Too bad that I cannot visit this year.

Pages: [1]