• March 28, 2024, 06:57:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2015 DS critique  (Read 1527 times)

M@2015DS

• View Profile
2015 DS critique
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

OK. Been riding my 2015 DX on my commute for a couple weeks now and overall it is great. Smooth acceleration. Plenty of power. Very balanced machine.

The only things I can give a thumbs down to are as follows:

The seat. It may be because I weigh 225lbs but for after about 15 minutes on the bike it starts getting uncomfortable. For the life of me I can't figure out why there could not have been maybe just another quarter inch or so of padding in the seat. I think that I may have to get a gel pad or something to add a little cushion. Feels like I am sitting on a piece of wood after a while. Heard that the seat was improved for 2015. Previous seat must have been terrible to say the least.

The storage container. Seems pretty cheaply made. The zipper pull should have something attached better than the piece of knotted string that pretty much fell apart on day one. It is now hard to open. Suppose I can ad my own pull without too much trouble.

Cables blocking ignition key hole. There are a couple of cables that come up and then go back down in front of the middle of the handle bar. They pretty much block the ignition key hole and make it difficult to access. Especially with gloves on and if there are a couple of other keys on the key ring. Not sure if there could have been another way to route those cables but they are not in a very good place. Have a hard time getting my hand in there to put in the key and turn it.

Just my 2 cents. So, other than that, great ride. Range appears to be as stated on the web site as well.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:27:45 PM by M@2015DS »

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: 2015 DX critique
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »

Are you referring to a Zero DS?  There is no electric DX that I know of.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »

Hey M@

I've got a 14 DS - lucky you!

My seat is the same, feelings the same. I think they underestimated how long we would be in the saddle!

I rerouted the brake cable for the same reason. Added some better stainless, rubber insulated holders too; the plastic ones on mine were rubbish.

I replaced the break pads, but not much difference, teh brakes need to be carefully and patiently bedded in

These are just a few of the minor (but important) changes I made to mine. Heres the list for fun:
    replaced the very soft dome allen bolts with good stainless ones (mostly body work)
    added strategic bits of foam rubber to stop what i thought was panel vibration/noise. No change. I have a clonk/rattle I can't find.
    shortened the rear number plate holder (looks better, but i get skunk marks now)
    added small s/s bungee hooks under the seat
    added a KTM screen
    added knurled knobs in s/s to allow quick access to the seat

LED headlight is next

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »

The clonk you speak of is the square bottom plastic part of the seat it wiggles up and down slapping away typically on the rougher stuff
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

Really? Whats it hitting? Ill check tonight tnx

M@2015DS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »

Oh how dumb. Yea. It's the DS. Typo. It was a long day.

Sounds like you have made some good mods to your bike nigezero. Not sure I will do anything out of fear I will mess it up.

Have not noticed the clonk.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2015 DS critique
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »

If you think the 2015 DS seat is hard, you should have seen Zero's seats on their 2012 models.  :o  An Air Hawk pad is a very worthwhile investment and really helps with sore butt syndrome.   ;)

I have an unused virgin storage container in my closet.  I agree that it doesn't seem like the most durable luggage carrier.  However I have found that the space it used to occupy provides the perfect location for a "Power Tank".   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »

I guess I'm lucky, because I like the SR seat. I do wish the cutout was about 2" further back, as I'm 6'2" but it's not a big deal. I'm 262lbs.

I'm sure Sergeant, Mustang, Corbin, or any of the other companies would help you out. Seats are a real personal preference.

I hated the seat on the Brammo Empulse. After a 10 mile test ride, I was "I WANT OFF THIS THING"
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:15 AM »

To improve seat comfort I would suggest riding in bicycling shorts. I am comfortable on my SR seat but I wear cycling shorts under my armored leather pants anyway for a little extra comfort and protection. I fell once and skidded along the pavement on my backside and the cycling shorts literally saved my ass. There are some very nice shorts with many shapes, sizes and thicknesses of pads or gel inserts.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

M@2015DS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:41 AM »

And Air Hawk pad sounds like a good solution. I will look into that. Thanks Richard230. Shorts may be good. Just don't want to add to the stuff I put on.

As an aside, I have been riding in ECO mode until yesterday. Before I hopped on the freeway I switched to Sport mode. The modes is a great feature by the way. I twisted the throttle and holy crap! I know it is not as fast as the S/SR but I was up that on ramp and onto the freeway at speed in what seemed like just a couple seconds! My laughter easily drowning out the sound of the electric motor...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 02:08:22 AM »

The S and DS are equally fast. It's the SR that moves like a bat out of hell.

Yesterday, I playfully raced an R6 around our local highway express multi-lane route on my DS and neither of us seemed practically faster than the other. The DS was absurdly quieter, or the R6 was just loud, though. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »

And Air Hawk pad sounds like a good solution. I will look into that. Thanks Richard230. Shorts may be good. Just don't want to add to the stuff I put on.

As an aside, I have been riding in ECO mode until yesterday. Before I hopped on the freeway I switched to Sport mode. The modes is a great feature by the way. I twisted the throttle and holy crap! I know it is not as fast as the S/SR but I was up that on ramp and onto the freeway at speed in what seemed like just a couple seconds! My laughter easily drowning out the sound of the electric motor...

You never tried SPORT until yesterday ??

Now you'll always stay in SPORT :P
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »

I wish Zero would move the key position up to be more level with the handlebars, reaching down to the key's current position with gloved hands is not that easy.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »

How hard was it to reroute the brake cable? 
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/
Pages: [1]