• April 24, 2024, 11:40:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Set up bidirectional throttle for Regen  (Read 2569 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Set up bidirectional throttle for Regen
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »

I have a Vectrix bi-directional throttle that I'm going to test to see whether I can achieve the same performance as the separate throttle and regen I have on my Zero SR now.

Has anyone tried to add a Vectrix throttle to their Zero and if successful any specific aspects to take into account eg calibration etc.

I know the voltages provided by the Vectrix throttle and how to map that into the Sevcon controller throttle and footbrake functions so that part should be fine.

Thanks,
Dave
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

nigezero

• View Profile
Re: Set up bidirectional throttle for Regen
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

great idea

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:32:32 PM »

If it is only one potentiometer I would try this. (I presume you already know this though)

Hook up the throttle as normal then positap from 22 to 23 keeping 23 as foot brake.
Go to analog output tree and look at resting voltage.
Adjust low voltage for throttle a little above and high voltage for food brake a little bellow.

Full twist throttle and get full voltage and add a little for max throttle.
Twist full reverse to get lowest voltage and subtract a little.

Brow should be the signal wire but I don't know if it is a hall sensor or potentiometer. Pretty easy to find stuff online though ;)

I would be surprised if the performance was any better than te pressure switch.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:04 AM »

I have a Vectrix bi-directional throttle that I'm going to test to see whether I can achieve the same performance as the separate throttle and regen I have on my Zero SR now.

Has anyone tried to add a Vectrix throttle to their Zero and if successful any specific aspects to take into account eg calibration etc.

I know the voltages provided by the Vectrix throttle and how to map that into the Sevcon controller throttle and footbrake functions so that part should be fine.

Thanks,
Dave

I research this idea but there are some problems.  The Vectrix throttle/regen is nice there is a positive stop before the regen begins not sure if it is variable regen but I think that can be achieved.  I'm not sure if there is a supply of the part since Vectrix is not around anymore.  Also I'm not sure if the part fits where the current throttle fits and these are the things I can see from the surface.  Plus all the interface dgh853 was talking about but I would be ready interested if follow this.

If I recall correctly the part is a potentiometer with a center tap and this is different then what Zero uses.  There was a schematic of the part but I can't find it i think it was over on the visvoltage forum.

Good luck

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:56:34 AM »

Vectrix throttle patent, hoping it helps
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8161939.html

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

I have a used throttle on my Vectrix and as the motor decided to die this week I'll try and get the throttle working over the next few days with the Zero.

The Vectrix throttle unfortunately puts out a PWM signal rather than the analog signal that the regular Zero Magura throttle provides.

So I'll need to convert the PWM signal to analog using an RC (resistor and capacitor) filter. Not certain of what resistor and capacitor spec I require.

I've tried a 1k resistor and 100uf capacitor but that doesn't seem to work correctly. Suspect the resistance might be too high.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate RC filter spec. Vectrix throttle runs off 5V supply.

Thanks
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »

I have a used throttle on my Vectrix and as the motor decided to die this week I'll try and get the throttle working over the next few days with the Zero.

The Vectrix throttle unfortunately puts out a PWM signal rather than the analog signal that the regular Zero Magura throttle provides.

So I'll need to convert the PWM signal to analog using an RC (resistor and capacitor) filter. Not certain of what resistor and capacitor spec I require.

I've tried a 1k resistor and 100uf capacitor but that doesn't seem to work correctly. Suspect the resistance might be too high.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate RC filter spec. Vectrix throttle runs off 5V supply.

Thanks

I get the feeling that will only work for accelerating, not regen.
May be an Arduino is in order... 

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »

Very interested in this project.  I miss my Vectrix throttle and would love to see them on more bikes.  Good luck!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549
Pages: [1]