• April 24, 2024, 02:14:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: High beam always on (2013)  (Read 1040 times)

jpaulus

• View Profile
High beam always on (2013)
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »

My high beam is suddenly always on.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it something that I'd have to take to a Zero dealer to have fixed?

Burton

• View Profile
Re: High beam always on (2013)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »

It likely is a problem with your left control. Depends how good you are at diagnosing electrical problems though really.

If it were me I would do the following in order only going to the next step if results were not as expected

1) try a different bulb.
2) unplug the mollex going to the left controls and jump pin 1 (blue yellow stripe and 12v source) to pin 3 (red yellow stripe) [pin 2 is high beam] on the harness side, If low beam works then move to step 3
3) With mollex still disconnected put a probe between pin 4 (I believe this is the power source for your headlight if not try pin 1) and 2 on the controller side of the mollex.
 Switch controller to high beam and see if it "rings through" or has "continuity".
  Switch to low to see if there is a change (it shouldn't ring through any more).
  If there is no change try pin 4 and 3 (which is low beam) for same test.

This should help you ID where the problem is. Then how you fix it from there is up to you. If pin 1 or 4 doesn't work for the power open the controller up and look at the high beam switch to identify the pin going into it and use it. You might even do this first.

Please do be careful with anything I have suggested and if you are not comfortable around electrical circuits don't do anything I suggested and take it into a shop.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »

Yes, that sounds beyond my comfort level.   ;)

Doesn't sound like anything particular to Zero though.  Any motorcycle shop would do?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:03:04 AM »

A motorcycle shop might be intimidated by it since it is all electrical. But you could try and see what happens. I don't think it is a zero problem.

If the light wasn't on and the fuse was good and the light was good it might be a zero problem .... but given how the bike is wired nothing else would be on either ;)

The voltages involved are ~13v DC and you could actually do step 3 without the bike being on if you wanted to jump right into testing. It would only require a simple multi-meter with a continuity tester (tone tester) to perform.

My best guess is the left control is likely at fault. I can't see how the power would always be on any other way. Keep in mind you have TWO high beam controls on your left control. Ones is for flashing to pass and at the front and the other is the toggle switch on the back. One or the other or both could be bad. Make sure your front flash to pass button is "free" though as it might have got stuck in the downward position.

If you are not willing to take it to a shop I could make a youtube video for you to show you how and what to check. But that might not happen today / tomorrow.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:49 AM »

Wow, you are too generous.  After these years I didn't even know that there was a lock position for the high beam as my commute wouldn't benefit from that in any case.  Maybe that got bumped on.  I'll check that out.  Thanks!

MortenRS-DK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

I had that problem with my SR. It was simple. The take over/ beam press button can get stuck. Try to press the button and release it to se if that fixes the problem.
Pages: [1]