• April 27, 2024, 02:29:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dirt Bike Magazine ALTA ELECTRIC MOTOCROSS BIKE  (Read 2193 times)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Bike Magazine ALTA ELECTRIC MOTOCROSS BIKE
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »

They make some big claims, and find it hard to believe they have the most advance tech built in house when you have companies building and selling EV tech, why design and build your own when you can buy existing. They are not doing same with brakes and suspension. Sure build your own if the market doesn't sell what you need. I wish them well they definetly trying to build the best bike they can.

"Our battery has double the power density of anything else in the industry, and we have the most advanced drivetrain of all the electric motorcycles out there. We started with a clean slate. We made our own electric motor, our own controller and our own power source."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:57:08 AM by firepower »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »

Their CEO talks a good game.    ::)  But can what they manufacture match his claims?    ::)  And when will they actually make the bike available to the public?  BRD has been promoting their electric dirt and street bikes for several years now and I have yet to see one on the street or in a showroom, even though I live only a few miles from their office.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:37:03 AM »

I did notice they changed the lower front of the frame to the more common tube bent at some radius.  Before they had a sharp edge that would have got pounded by a log or some rocks.  They were thinking track and not offroad, so maybe they carried that through to other parts as well.  I hope they seal up everything so it works in the rain.  I question that a California company knows much about waterproofing.  Zero kind of did a bad job at water proofing. 

As far as building their own motor, battery, and controller, I think they considered that the core technology of the bike.  The frame and suspension they thought was pretty standard and stable so not really changing much from year to year.  It seems reasonable.  There might be motors available but probably not light weight or compact enough for a dirt bike.  I think the e-bike world is still small/new enough that just buying from some existing electronics company might not get you what you want.  Even with all their efforts they were 15 pounds heavier than their target. 

Seat height looks really tall though and I think that will hurt them.  Seems like most people complain about the tall dirt bike trend.  People taller than me complain about it.  Zero is lower and probably hit the mark closer on seat height.  Looks like they have a nice start though, 3rd quarter this year for first bike out, that's getting closer.  Interesting that both Alta and KTM really took a long time after their prototype.  Must be more difficult than it looks. 

EVfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »

Check out Alta's Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/altamotorsusa

They've posted some video clips of ongoing testing and a article that provides more insight. 
Pages: [1]