• April 25, 2024, 02:40:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Spare parts  (Read 1151 times)

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
Spare parts
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »

Hi,
I may want a Zero S, but I still need more informations to cross the gap.
I do not have a Zero dealer in my city, in need to go to Paris, but that means having a car that can take a bike in, or a trailer (and a day off, beacuse it is more than a couple of hour from my house). The problem is not for the buying, because I could do it once, but what if I have issues with the bike?
So, I found an electric bikes and scooters dealer in my city and went to ask him if he could help me if I have a trouble on day with my Zero.
He said he could help only if Zero delivers spare parts to non-official dealers (or to me directly). For example, he tolds me that Matra does not want to give him spare parts if he does not have a matra logo everywhere in his shop, and if he is not exclusive to them. So he can not help people with this brade.
So, my question is : can I (or him) get easily spare parts the day I have an issue with the motorcycle?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Spare parts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »

Unfortunately, I wouldn't bet on it.  Right now the Zero motorcycle and parts distribution system still seems to be a work in progress in the U.S. and I am pretty sure that it is worse in Europe.  The parts will come eventually, but it may take a while.  Last year I ordered a replacement drive belt for my 2012 S.  It took two weeks to arrive and the Zero dealer that I ordered it from is located only 90 miles from the factory.  But the price was cheap enough.  $70, compared with a BMW drive belt for their F800S/ST/GT models, which runs around $400, plus an hour or more of labor to install.  (The BMW belt is supposed to be replaced every 24,000 miles, but most owners double that figure.)  I might add that both belts are made by Gates. 

Of course the BMW belt is much wider and heavier and you still have to wait for most BMW parts to arrive when ordered from a dealer, too.  When I order something from my BMW dealer it now takes between one and two weeks to arrive from a central warehouse.  Years ago they typically would have had the part in stock at the shop.  Not any longer, though.  BMW now has too many new models with too many specialized parts that change every year.   :o  There is no way that their dealers can stock much more than oil and filters anymore.   ::)  So the parts situation it tough all over.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]