• April 25, 2024, 01:55:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All Stock to LED bulb conversion  (Read 1273 times)

dc5dd

• View Profile
All Stock to LED bulb conversion
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

So I did an conversion from stock bulbs to all LED including the headlight except for the license plate which I forgot.  But all the bulbs I brought from ebay and listed below.  I can feel a little better energy consumption on the battery but nothing objective just subjective.  I believe that all the usage counts and LED's are brighter so that is why I converted.

Also I used the brightest bulbs I could find that will fit.  Fit being the key there is a huge amount of configurations on Ebay and not all are the same as far as brightest and quality.  My running light has developed a flicker that is probably a manufacturing defect but still brighter.

Another requirement was to use all stock sizes so that I can convert back to stock bulbs if I wanted to, don't know why I would but just so I can.

Some notes and questions.  I de-soldered the CANBus resistors on the running lights so they don't drain battery power (this was the only way they come).  The LED light is "whiter" and brighter but not as "fill-in", if you can describe it that way.  If you look at the bulb directly you will have a burn in spot for a couple of seconds.  Also in installing the headlight I might have broken or dislodged something but I don't have anything as a comparison. 

The LED headlight requires a heatsink in the rear of the bulb to dissipate heat and what I did was wedged the dust cover of the headlight assembly between the LED bulb and heatsink (they are two parts but attached together).  In doing this I had to use a lot of force to reassemble the two parts after installing onto the headlight assembly and I believed I damaged the headlight assembly because it pivots freely now.  What I mean is that the aiming of the headlight is loose (able to aim up and down freely) I tried turning the adjustment screw on the assembly but that didn't help.  So I'm wondering if this is normal.  I think that the rubber dust cover keeps it stable but there has got to be more to it then that so I'm not sure. 

Below is all the links to the bulbs I used, the headlight for the LED needed a small modification to fit in the assembly.  As mentioned I de-soldered the resistor for the CANBUS, the turn signal needed an LED flasher installed (I believe it is sealed but can't be sure), and the turn signal will fit with a little force to close the lens cover.  If you want the license plate bulb you will have to order a CREE LED with the shortest length to fit in the small space, probably a short T10 bulb.

H4 headlight
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-H4-HB2-9003-6000-K-Lumen-White-CREE-LED-BULBS-HI-LO-Beam-Fit-Head-Light-Kit-/121395980851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c43c3aa33

Running lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-T10-W5W-8-5050SMD-CANBUS-1-5W-Q5-CREE-LED-White-Wedge-Light-Lamp-Bulb-12V-/351048379414?hash=item51bc1d2c16

Turning lights
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Light-Bulb-Lamp-1156-BAU15S-12V-13-5050-SMD-LED-Amber-/350971282437?hash=item51b784c405

LED flasher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-12V-Turn-Signal-Blinker-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-Fix-LED-Hyper-Flash-Black-/361039243420?hash=item540f9da89c

DesignerDan

• View Profile
Re: All Stock to LED bulb conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »

The reflector bowl must have become detached from the adjustment screw. I've taken mine apart;  those two pieces just clip together.

You might be able to fix yours if you get enough leverage on the reflector bowl (trying to tilt it up) and it should snap back onto the adjustment screw.

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »

The reflector bowl must have become detached from the adjustment screw. I've taken mine apart;  those two pieces just clip together.

You might be able to fix yours if you get enough leverage on the reflector bowl (trying to tilt it up) and it should snap back onto the adjustment screw.

Hey thanks Dan that is what I'm looking for be working on it when I get time.

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »

Here are some pictures (part 1)

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »

Here are some pictures (part 2)
Pages: [1]