• March 29, 2024, 04:05:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero pricing. Now $1000s cheaper in EUROPE  (Read 1392 times)

JohnFind

• View Profile
Zero pricing. Now $1000s cheaper in EUROPE
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »

I was just about to buy an SR in Atlanta, but visiting family in Oslo and the bikes are literally thousands less here. Can someone explain? I know the Euro is weak but this is a huge difference. Zero must be subsidizing the European market as I was checking pricing in Germany and its more or less the same. Maybe their margins are far greater than I'd imagined as its got to cost thousands to get these over here. I'm told the bikes are the same.

Not really worth it to buy one but definitely interested in purchasing with a few others and saving a few thousand! 

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero pricing. Now $1000s cheaper in EUROPE
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:11:00 AM »

I heard today that the Euro was down to $1.15.  Last month I think it was $1.30. That is about an 11.5% drop, which could certainly explain the lower price.  Plus, no doubt Zero is trying to price the bike as competitively as possible in order to continue their inroads into the Euro market - and build up their customer base before Polaris starts selling the 2016 Empulse in Europe next year.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JohnFind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:08:46 AM »

I was digging around this Polaris acquisition and my guess is no cash changed hands.  Brammo had debt and Polaris warrants.  Brammo was trying to secure $5M+ in additional financing until recently going so far as to offer direct sale of stock. I think Polaris acquired more than is being acknowledged and will do far less than most believe or many here would hope for.  I believe Brammo is dead for now. 
As for the euro, the ruble tumbled and sales of high value goods were immediately frozen.  If Zero doesn't have thousands of dollars in margin on these bikes to spare then they are losing thousands per bike by holding the line on pricing.  I for one and holding off and will buy from the EU with another, a couple colleagues, to save a few grand.

electricmountaineer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:34:19 PM »

Theres no tax on electric vehicles in norway so that is a 25% reduction in price, also no toll-ferry-parking fees, lower yearly road fee, access to taxi and bus lanes and probably more i don't know about.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »

Norway FTW, Australia Zero benefits or rebates for having an EV, I'm sure our governments dont want them as our fuel Tax is one of the highest.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »

Zeros are not cheaper in other EU countries. There might be a specific rebate, but look for example prices for France, the price in Euros equals the US price in dollars (but VAT is 20% here).

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »

firepower

Norway has very high fuel tax - and having lived n both Oz & Norway, it certainly felt a lot higher in Norway.

if Wikipedia is to be believed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax#Norway - at NOK5.5/litre, that's ~$0.88OZ, or a bit more than twice the Oz fuel tax (scroll down the Wikipedia page). The point about no tax on electric vehicle purchases in Norway is huge, too.

Good on the Norwegians.
Peter

JohnFind

• View Profile
Re: Zero pricing. GO TIME CANADA!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »

Mea culpa, I completely missed this one! Just talking with a friend in Vancouver, an EV fanatic who's been busy breaking in the Tesla P85D he picked up last week.  He looked up pricing and tells me the FX is about $1200 less in Vancouver than Seattle while the price difference on the SR is $2000.  So for those thinking they'd buy if only a few thousand cheaper, its go time.  Sure this won't last long. Seems Zero is asleep at a wheel. See for yourself, do the math, http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ca/
Now I know I can't wait. I think these dealers are seeing maybe 5-10 sales max a year and we should be able to get a 10% discount on several bikes.  THIS IS GREAT! so anyone interested in a group buy, be in touch johnfind47@gmail.com.
Pages: [1]