• April 26, 2024, 07:21:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cables to access Sevcon controller  (Read 7950 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Cables to access Sevcon controller
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »

For those interested in better understanding your Zero's motor controller setup you'll need some specific cables and software. These will allow you to browse the current controller configuration as well as make changes such as increasing regeneration rates, customising sport or eco modes etc.

This is what you'll need:
1. An IXXAT CAN-USB compact adaptor v1.5 (v1.01.0087.10100) or v1.6 - approx USD300 but you may find it cheaper on eBay or borrow/rent it from another forum member or dealer
2. A DB2 female to OBDII male cable with a specific pin mapping (not the most common one). Easysync make a DB9 female to OBD male cable that has the correct pin configuration - about USD25
3. Sevcon DVT Customer software - free, if you're willing to use one of the older versions such as 1.03c (Google is your friend, as is Dropbox in this case)

The Sevcon software will run on Windows XP, 7 and 8. There are manuals and getting started guides on the Internet (Google again) on how to use the DVT software including one at https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/images/DVT%20Tutorial.pdf.

See photos below of the cables required (two photos of each cable)

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Cables to access Sevcon controller
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

Some important things dgh853 might have forgot to mention. :) In his defense he likely knew all of this.

This is what you'll need:
1. An IXXAT CAN-USB compact adaptor v1.5 (v1.01.0087.10100) or v1.6 - approx USD300 but you may find it cheaper on eBay or borrow/rent it from another forum member or dealer

You cannot buy these anymore, you must get them off ebay or part of a $900 kit (presuming they still sell the kit). You cannot use a new version of the IXXAT CAN-USB either as it will not work with an unlicensed copy of the software mentioned in #3. And to get a license you have to own a business.

3. Sevcon DVT Customer software - free, if you're willing to use one of the older versions such as 1.03c (Google is your friend, as is Dropbox in this case)
Again it has to be version 1.03c or lower and good luck saving your DCF files with it. You need to write down your settings before making big changes. Even if you bought the new version and got a license you would have to use a NEW IXXAT USB-CAN as the old one isn't compatible.

The Sevcon software will run on Windows XP, 7 and 8. There are manuals and getting started guides on the Internet (Google again) on how to use the DVT software including one at https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/images/DVT%20Tutorial.pdf.

dgh853 is reluctant to link any dropbox files as they have been removed multiple times in the past. These things are more rare than gold at the end of a rainbow it seems. One of the dropbox links you will find will have at least 3 different versions. If you install any new versions completely remove everything from the previous versions. If you find the program wont start up and it isn't 1.02 then install a "merge" installation of TCL and it should work.

Also worth noting. You can brick your sevcon temporarily by making changes. It would be nice to have a backup but these online versions of "free" sevcon software all have issues with saving. I have tested 1.00 1.01 1.02 (which never ran) and 1.03c so far. If you brick your device you will need someone to give you a DCF file to return your device to working order. But good luck getting it from a form member who doesn't work for a dealer as stated it is next to impossible to export the file.

The bonus of course is the ability to control a lot of different things. That said I wouldn't suggest asking "how do I change this" on the forums, get the 200 page DVT / SEVCON GEN 4 manual from the manufactures webpage and read it a couple times. You really need to understand what you are doing when you start to make changes. This isn't a toy you are going to be remotely piloting, it is a vehicle you are risking your life on ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »

hi nice topic
can you give use the good pins like :

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:16 AM »

get the 200 page DVT / SEVCON GEN 4 manual
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm a major noob) aren't the 2014+ SRs a GEN 6?
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:43:12 AM »

get the 200 page DVT / SEVCON GEN 4 manual
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm a major noob) aren't the 2014+ SRs a GEN 6?

The SR use Gen 4 Size 6 whereas the S/DS are Gen 4 Size 4.
2013 Nissan Leaf

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:50:54 AM »

The pin configuration for the IXXAT DB9 is shown in the manual at http://www.ixxat.com/download/manuals/usb-to-can_comp-manual.pdf

The pins for the DB9 AND OBDII are as below. The essysync cable documentation should show the same pin layout as below but most cables use a different setup so be careful to get the right in layout.

DB9   OBDII
2         14  CAN low
7        6   can high
3        5  signal GND
2013 Nissan Leaf

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »

i try to connect to my zero S 2013 but as soon as i connect the USB-CAN interface I got this erroe message on the console :
 DEBUG:         27904  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_can.c               : line   769 - CAN0 BIT1 error
DEBUG:         28838  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_bms_interface.c     : line  2661 - Module 0 CAN Link Down
DEBUG:         37861  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_module.c            : line   988 - Module 00 FETs are now Open
DEBUG:         37878  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_module.c            : line   999 - Module 00 Contactor is now Open
DEBUG:         37899  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_module.c            : line   339 - Module 0 has disconnected. Unregistering and Disconnecting.
DEBUG:         37915  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_sevcon_interface.c  : line   264 - Turning Off Sevcon
DEBUG:         38196  ..\src\Application\zero_mbb_can.c               : line   748 - CAN1 ACK error

can some one help me?
what i have done wrong, the cable?
i got the USB-CAN compact V1.4 interface

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »

Looks like the mbb lost contact with the Sevcon. I have had this happen while moving at speed before ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »

I didn't understand you recommande to not tuch to the speed, but witch speed  is the good one?

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »

Hello I see that you are using a IXXAT V1.5 or V1.6 does it work also with a V1.4?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

Not sure whether you can use a v1.4. I've used a v1.5 and I think the v1.6 is the same as V1.5 but with galvanic isolation.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »

aie thank for you answer it is well reconised bit the software DVT, but it create a error on the controler
at witch speed do you connect on the controler 500khz, 125khz?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:30 AM »

500 khz
2013 Nissan Leaf

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »

super 500 KHZ it is working
thank

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:39:49 AM »

hi,
now i am connect to my Zero S 2013 :-)
before anything else i would like to save my configuration but I have a error
here is the message to someone know why?
Pages: [1] 2