• April 26, 2024, 09:41:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Cable to access Main Bike Board setup  (Read 11982 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Re: Cable to access Main Bike Board setup
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »

The browser parser uses three question marks to flag unparsed (hex converted) log entries in the binary file from the Zero app that are of unknown types. Since the serial cable event log dump is fully decoded text, it is possible to compare entries with matching timestamps from the parsed binary log text and the serial cable log dump. This is how I found the previously unknown entry types. I search the parsed text for unknown entries and then find matching entries from the serial log. There is a time zone correction needed, three hours in my case between local parsed timestamps and factory time zone log entries. The surrounding entries before and after the unknown one confirm the match.

From cable
Code: [Select]
06591     06/16/2017 17:34:46   Charging                   PackTemp: h 31C, l 30C, AmbTemp: 40C, PackSOC: 14%, Vpack: 98.951V, BattAmps:  -2, Mods: 11, MbbChgEn: Yes, BmsChgEn: No
 06592     06/16/2017 17:36:04   BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 0
 06593     06/16/2017 17:37:33   BMS Isolation Fault        BMS: 1
 06594     06/16/2017 17:44:42   Low Chassis Isolation      22 KOhms to cell 1

From Browser parse
Code: [Select]
08290     06/16/2017 20:34:46   Charging                   PackTemp: h 31C, l 30C, AmbTemp: 40C, PackSOC: 14%, Vpack: 98.951V, BattAmps:  -2, Mods: 11, MbbChgEn: Yes, BmsChgEn: No
 08291     06/16/2017 20:36:04   0x31 0x00 0xb2 0x08 0x31 ???   
 08292     06/16/2017 20:37:33   0x31 0x01 0xb2 0x0c 0x3a ???   
 08293     06/16/2017 20:44:42   Low Chassis Isolation      22 KOhms to cell 1
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »

I got my ODB II plug today (my ttl cable arrived last week) I plugged my ttl cabe into my mac book and found it was the same chip as Burtons cable, but I decided to solder it up and see if it worked. I had to find a serial terminal program first, I found one called Serial (for mac) not free, opted for the 7 day trial. I could only select a baud rate from a list (38400) not 38200 as on the first page. I pressed enter and it worked first go with no problems. The software requires no drivers as it has them built in and its sell point was that it would work with anything. Well they were right!
Many thanks for this post, it will be a great help now that Zero have pulled out of Australia.       

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »

38200 was a typo. Glad it's working!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »

> ... I had to find a serial terminal program first, I found one called Serial (for mac) not free, op ...

Did you see the Diginow Serial Terminal in the Google Chrome Browser store?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2017, 03:22:24 AM »

> ... I had to find a serial terminal program first, I found one called Serial (for mac) not free, op ...

Hmm obviously not.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 03:33:26 AM »

Hmm obviously not.

Just tried it, doesn't work, keeps closing the tab I run it in.
The chip in the USB cable is from Prolific (product ID 0x2303), Burton had trouble with this chip as well, and with my Arduino playing it seems the Chinese serial to USB emulation chips require their own special drivers (and there is more than one, and not much documentation on the drivers). As I said, that was this products claim to fame, that it would work with any chip set (no need to hunt for special drivers). 

jroqueca

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:05 AM »

For those who want to access more information about your Zero, in particular the Main Bike Board configuration one way to do this is to make a USB to OBD II cable. This will allow you to  access more diagnostic information including logs, status  and error codes. With the right access, it's possible to change things such as your speedometer calibration (this is where adjustments for the front/rear sprockets and tyre circumference are made on recent models).

Here are the parts and steps to create the cable:

Parts:
- USB to TTL cable (see photo below) with 5V (red), ground (black), tx (green) and rx (white) wires
- OBD II male plug (see photo below)

Steps:
1. Cut the connectors off the end of the green, white and black wires to expose bare wires.
2. Solder the wires to the pins on the OBDII connector as follows:
- black wire to pin 5
- white wire (RX) to pin 8
- green wire (TX) to pin 9
- red wire is not connected (+5V)
3. Plug cable in to Windows laptop and device should be recognised and driver installed successfully
4. Take note of COM port used
5. Connect cable to OBD port on bike (above the motor on Zero SR/DS/S not sure where on FX)
6. Turn on bike
7. Open Putty terminal program (freeware) and use Serial connection to connect to COM port (eg COM4) and set baud rate to 38200
8. Open connection and MBB prompt should be displayed (hit enter key if not)
9. Type help and hit enter to get a list of commands that you can run (see photos)

Hello All!

I've made the cable, but I have a doubt. Is it necessary to supply 12V current at pin 16 of the ODBII plug? My cable does not work and I think that may be it.

Thank you.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:19 AM »

Does a serial device appear?

On Linux I would look in /dev/ for ttyUSB0 or maybe ttyACM0 , not sure what it would be on Mac

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »

No need for supply voltage, just connect ground, rx and tx. Try switching rx and tx. I had a broken ground wire in my cable.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »

You can use screen on almost all unixes. On Mac's, serial adapters have a plethora of names (ttyS0, ttyUSB0 etc) so the easiest is to make a list of devices in the /dev folder, then plug in the device, and then see what device has been added. You can do this for example like this:

ls /dev > /tmp/devices
<plug in device>
  ls /dev > /tmp/plugged
  diff /tmp/devices /tmp/plugged

The output should show you which device was added to the list. Then, a simple

screen /dev/<found device> 9600

should give you a serial console. You can exit screen by typing <ctrl>-a followed by \

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 05:59:10 AM »

Guys, about commands (prompt in putty) can I modify or change some parameter or it just read only?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »

The different levels of login grant different scopes of settings that can be seen and changed.

It’s advisable not to login at a higher level than you need, to avoid accidentally invoking unsafe changes.

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:20 AM »

Thanks for your answer. The login level is it the same for all bike or change with the years? If I ask for my SR 2018, where I can find all access password information? I found some thing here but not realy complet I think.

I desir to change the custom lower limit speed to lowers if is possible.

The different levels of login grant different scopes of settings that can be seen and changed.

It’s advisable not to login at a higher level than you need, to avoid accidentally invoking unsafe changes.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 02:49:13 AM »

AFAIK the login levels have not changed since 2013 though I have heard murmurs about newer passwords which I have no way to verify and cannot get any clear information on.

I do know that these passwords should not be published for a host of reasons, and the whisper network is full of noise I constantly have to sift through and crosscheck.

There’s no harm in trying passwords like that. Reprogramming modes and limits may only require a level 2 password.

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »

I'm sure somebody have this informations here!  8)

For now I found some good informations, mainly the eventlogdump. I saw interesting things, When my bike is born, riding etc, All is logged!  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]