• April 24, 2024, 04:43:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: +12V access on Zero SR?  (Read 1971 times)

jheth

• View Profile
+12V access on Zero SR?
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »

See 2-wire (black/blue) connector near center of the attached pic. This is under the "tank" cover, but also semi-accessible from the front near the horn.
Is this the right spot to add +12V accessories on a Zero SR (specifically 2015 model)? Is this fused? If it's for accessories, I presume it is fuse #4 under the seat?

thanks,
Jeremy

GNU

• View Profile
Re: +12V access on Zero SR?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:05:20 AM »

Yes, it's one of the two.
They are forked from the same 10A fuse under the seat.
2014 Zero SR

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »

I've spliced my lighting and soundracer system onto this cable. I believe it shares a 10A fuse with the 12V accessory outlet, and is located under the seat. All has been well the past 1,000 miles of using this power source. Of course, it is only powered when the bike key switch is turned on.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:29:12 PM »

Is there any way to run an additional fused line from the DC/DC converter? 10A isn't that much, I'm looking to add heated grips, aux lighting and a connection for heated jacket liner.

In an older thread someone mentioned the DC/DC converter could put out a max of 400W on 2012 models, not sure what that is for 2014+

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »

You can use laptop type power supplies for supplying 12V or 13.8V or even 5V for USB. connect the AC supply to your main battery voltage after the contactor.

you can buy of ebay for $10 to $15 and choose the voltage and current  you need. this is a lot cheaper than buying the Zero 12V accessory kit.

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »

connect the AC supply to your main battery voltage after the contactor.

Really? This seems way more dangerous than using the already available 12v current to me. And isn't the high voltage power still DC not AC?

Anyway these are the aux lights I plan to use, was using them on my 2012 XU using the 'spare' fuse. They only draw 0.66 amps per light.

That said, I am wondering if due to the low draw if I could simple tap into the existing headlight circuit. How much draw does the stock headlight / running light account for?

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »

I am wondering if due to the low draw if I could simple tap into the existing headlight circuit. How much draw does the stock headlight / running light account for?

I kinda answered my own question, the manual specifies the headlamp uses 55/60W which at 12V would be 5 amps max. So, in theory it should be safe to tap into the headlight circuit. That said I don't know that I want to blow the fuse by drawing too much and be driving around with no lights at all.
Pages: [1]