• March 28, 2024, 07:15:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ego on display  (Read 2234 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Ego on display
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

See the article on motorcycle.com

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/12/22/motorcycle-news/energica-ego-display-d-store-orange-county-jan-2/

One of the more interesting comments in the article is that they have already hired a technician to train new Energica dealers. What a novel concept!

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Ego on display
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

Gee, what do you know. Getting organized before signing up dealers and selling bikes.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:40:30 AM »

I think Energica is really the one to watch for 2015. They are clearly not a startup company scratching for cash or trying to figure out how to bring a product to market. While the Ego doesn't have the performance numbers of the Lightening or Mission I wouldn't underestimate the impact of having a dealer network that has bikes to actually see and test ride. Based on my experience with both Mission and Lightening and their ability to answer questions I don't think customer service will ever be their strong point. At the same time Energica may cause Zero to up their game with the SR. Time will tell.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »

Looks impressive... but a chain drive? Really?  One of the many things I don't miss about ICE is the grease!

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »

Looks impressive... but a chain drive? Really?  One of the many things I don't miss about ICE is the grease!
I have 2 words for that: "Chain Oiler"
Problem solved.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:39:46 AM »

Problem solved.

The LEAST of my issues with chains is oiling them. The biggest problem I have with chains is keeping the rear wheel clean (along with everything else in the area), second is the noise, third is the need to tension them much more often than a belt, then maybe oiling.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »

Problem solved.
Not really. Over the years I've tried 4 different brands of semi or full automatic oilers and they've been hit or miss in more than one way. I tried Scottoiler, Loobman, and a couple others.

I did find a magic fluid in DuPont's Teflon dry wax lube. I used that on the 1st of every month, and it kept the original chain on my SV-650 going for over 5 years. When I traded it in last month, you still could not lift a link off the rear sprocket. That's the first time a chain/sprocket set has lasted over 11 months for me.

Anyway, the belt was yet another reason I chose the Zero over the Brammo. I wanted low-maintenance and chain lube splatter is nasty.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »

I'm sure that others may have had less messy experiences of chains than perhaps I have, but I guess having had the belt drive on my ZF9, I don't see any advantages of chain.  I have really enjoyed the clean, hassle free experience the belt gives. Perhaps the ultimate breaking strain of a chain is higher (I don't know...)  but does that matter in this context?  In any case, a chain represents a negative in my book and dare I say, somewhat old fashioned.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 04:38:04 AM »

I have been dealing with chains for over 50 years (I just spent three hours replacing the chain on my Yamaha) and I have also suffered through a broken Paralever shaft drive on a 1991 K100RS that cost $1200 to repair.  My two Zeros were the first bikes that used a belt to transfer power to the rear wheel and I just don't see any downside to the system.  It is light, clean, quiet and cheap to replace.  So having a belt makes me a happy camper.   :)

Oh yes.  I almost forgot the belt drive on my 1983 Kawasaki GPz305.  That belt was made by the Japanese company "Bando", perhaps from recycled rubber bands.  You really had to hope that the belt didn't pick up any rocks or it was splitsville and freewheeling time.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 04:59:35 AM »

But do any sport bikes use a belt? The Ego has 136 HP and 195 nm of torque. There aren't many ICE bikes with those numbers.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 05:05:12 AM »

But do any sport bikes use a belt? The Ego has 136 HP and 195 nm of torque. There aren't many ICE bikes with those numbers.
Buell did. Note that Abe Askenazi of Zero came from Buell.

You really had to hope that the belt didn't pick up any rocks or it was splitsville and freewheeling time.
Yup. Other than lack of tension, that's the main failure mode on a belt. That's why some of the belt-drive Harleys have various little guards to attempt to protect against that.

Any idea how hard it is to replace? Since you can't break a belt, you've got to remove the swingarm. All the bikes I've had needed a brand-specific special tool for the swingarm pivot nut... I assume the Zero needs one too? There's a cap over it in all the studio pictures and I don't have my bike yet.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 05:51:06 AM »

Buell did. Note that Abe Askenazi of Zero came from Buell.

You really had to hope that the belt didn't pick up any rocks or it was splitsville and freewheeling time.
Yup. Other than lack of tension, that's the main failure mode on a belt. That's why some of the belt-drive Harleys have various little guards to attempt to protect against that.

Any idea how hard it is to replace? Since you can't break a belt, you've got to remove the swingarm. All the bikes I've had needed a brand-specific special tool for the swingarm pivot nut... I assume the Zero needs one too? There's a cap over it in all the studio pictures and I don't have my bike yet.

Zero doesn't use a swing arm axle but it also looks like there is not enough room between the frame and the motor to fit a new belt past the motor's drive cogwheel.  My guess is that you will need to drop the motor to install a new belt.  But, since I have not needed to replace a belt so far, I am guess guessing about the belt-replacement procedure.   ???  Too bad Zero doesn't provide belt replacement instructions in their owner's manual.
Pages: [1]