• April 25, 2024, 11:40:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Friendly sound to alert cars that a silent rider is passing in slow traffic  (Read 3617 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Friendly sound to alert cars that a silent rider is passing in slow traffic
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »

I am not sure that I would want the U.S. Government to decide what sort of noise I should make while riding my electric motorcycle.  It would likely be something like "vote for ........."   ::)

On the other hand, they might mandate a clown squeeze-bulb honk.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »

It passed in 2010 - vehicles when travelling under 18 mph. US "Pedestrian Safety Act" (and you thought there was "gridlock") to be enacted in 5 years.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/Quiet_Vehicles_NPRM.pdf   is the nhtsa's plan - detailing you had 60 days to comment.  (the notice was posted in the basement, behind a door signed "Beware of leopard")

Wikipedia:
Japan issued guidelines for such warning devices in January 2010 and the U.S. approved legislation on December 2010.[1][2]
The European Parliament approved legislation that requires the mandatory use of "Acoustic Vehicle Alerting Systems" for all new electric and hybrid electric vehicles within 5 years.[3]

NHSTA STATEMENT ON THE MINIMUM SOUND REQUIRMENT:

U.S. Department of Transportation Proposes New Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles Monday, January 7, 2013

Proposal Would Allow All Pedestrians to Detect Vehicles that Do Not Make Sound

WASHINGTON – As required by the bipartisan Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 (PSEA), the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is proposing that hybrid and electric vehicles meet minimum sound standards in order to help make all pedestrians more aware of the approaching vehicles.

“Safety is our highest priority, and this proposal will help keep everyone using our nation’s streets and roadways safe, whether they are motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians, and especially the blind and visually impaired,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

Electric and hybrid vehicles do not rely on traditional gas or diesel-powered engines at low speeds, making them much quieter and their approach difficult to detect. The proposed standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, would fulfill Congress’ mandate in the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act that hybrid and electric vehicles meet minimum sound requirements so that pedestrians are able to detect the presence, direction and location of these vehicles when they are operating at low speeds.

“Our proposal would allow manufacturers the flexibility to design different sounds for different makes and models while still providing an opportunity for pedestrians, bicyclists and the visually impaired to detect and recognize a vehicle and make a decision about whether it is safe to cross the street,” said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland.

The sounds would need to be detectable under a wide range of street noises and other ambient background sounds when the vehicle is traveling under 18 miles per hour. At 18 miles per hour and above, vehicles make sufficient noise to allow pedestrians and bicyclists to detect them without added sound. Each automaker would have a significant range of choices about the sounds it chooses for its vehicles, but the characteristics of those sounds would need to meet certain minimum requirements. In addition, each vehicle of the same make and model would need to emit the same sound or set of sounds.

NHTSA estimates that if this proposal were implemented there would be 2,800 fewer pedestrian and pedalcyclist injuries over the life of each model year of hybrid cars, trucks and vans and low speed vehicles, as compared to vehicles without sound.

NHTSA will send the proposal to the Federal Register today. Upon publication, the public will have 60 days to submit comments on this NHTSA action.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

I think I will buy my next electric motorcycle right before these government noise regulations get implemented.  What I like about my Zero is that it doesn't make any noise and (besides) I haven't run over any pedestrians yet.  Where do they get these pedestrian fatalities by quiet EV's "estimates" anyway?   ???  I figure it is your responsibility as a rider or driver not to run over any pedestrians or bicyclists while moving under 18 mph in a shopping mall parking lot.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 02:01:10 AM »

I think I will buy my next electric motorcycle right before these government noise regulations get implemented.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. I'm guessing it won't be too hard to disable/remove whatever noisemakers are installed. I can't believe a cop is ever going to ticket you for being too quiet.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 04:20:00 AM »

I think I will buy my next electric motorcycle right before these government noise regulations get implemented.

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. I'm guessing it won't be too hard to disable/remove whatever noisemakers are installed. I can't believe a cop is ever going to ticket you for being too quiet.

That is a good point.  I can remember when the government DOT, during the mid-1970's  required motorcycle turn indicators to make a beeping sound like they did in cars (before clicking sounds were in style).  Those little noise makers were the first thing disabled by most owners upon hearing the beeping when at a stop waiting to make a left turn.   ;)

Maybe they should make us install a muffler on our bikes that makes a loud "potato, potato" sound as we ride along.  No doubt pedestrians will recognize that noise and quickly get out of our way.   ::)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 05:17:50 AM »

Personally, I am looking forward to making my Zero DS sound like a TIE Fighter (my soundracer kit is on its way). Lemons into lemonade, or water into wine; pick your metaphor but the fact is you can make the bike sound like the coolest thing in the world now.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

TheNorwegian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 05:22:21 AM »

Personally, I am looking forward to making my Zero DS sound like a TIE Fighter (my soundracer kit is on its way).

Dude, link to the product you ordered?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 05:30:21 AM »

Personally, I am looking forward to making my Zero DS sound like a TIE Fighter (my soundracer kit is on its way).
Dude, link to the product you ordered?

Here: http://eveess.com/evsm-2/

I think he's just barely able to fill out orders right now for Zero customers. I first contacted him months ago, but hopefully the response now just means that he's ready to ship the new versions.

Also, my audio sample solution is fair use, but he cannot violate copyright as a seller of a product. Just FYI; I have to customize the firmware myself.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:31:54 AM by BrianTRice »

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »

How about sounds from animals / birds. It be unusual and make people curious to where its coming from because not expected.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/birds/featured/Top-40-Bird-Songs

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »

Have you watched the videos on the soundracer website? I'm sorry but they sound terrible. Its like a game sound from the Nintendo.

TheNorwegian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »

Also, my audio sample solution is fair use, but he cannot violate copyright as a seller of a product. Just FYI; I have to customize the firmware myself.

BrianTRice, Could you please share with us how you plan to do this? How does it work? Is it prerecorded audio bits that the hardware switchen between for emulate a dynamic sound? How do you go about to make a "copy" of the sound of an engine or similar?

And how do you go about modifying the firmware to store those sounds that you've created?

A TIE fighter could be cool, would love to see a video when you're done!

Farfle

• View Profile

I use a skwonky bugle horn from walmart for lane splitting on my '15ds in california.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ventura-Bugle-Air-Horn/11065111?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs-2-m1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=HO8yvnoM8ASsYySkGPH_JA&category=&client_guid=5856187a-5eee-4611-8b5f-4591ee6203a8&customer_id_enc=&config_id=2&parent_item_id=41621034&parent_anchor_item_id=41621034&guid=9c19cafc-8521-4b25-8c5e-7e6f37388785&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Its loud, and its such a funny nonthreatening sound that I get a bunch of laughs out of it, and people see that you are there.

Biggest problem is that its hard to honk it, and lane split with one hand.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:08:06 PM by Farfle »

SoundMusic

• View Profile

I also use the "Hornit" and find it works well in slow staffic and for pedestrians.
{people actually smile when they hear the sound it produces: http://www.thehornit.com/product/hornit-db140

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

BrianTRice, Could you please share with us how you plan to do this? How does it work? Is it prerecorded audio bits that the hardware switchen between for emulate a dynamic sound? How do you go about to make a "copy" of the sound of an engine or similar?

And how do you go about modifying the firmware to store those sounds that you've created?

A TIE fighter could be cool, would love to see a video when you're done!

The short answer is that there's a SIM-card-sized memory chip and a manual specifying what to name the WAV files to put on it for different conditions (idle, accelerating below 3500 RPMs, accelerating above that, and deceleration).

I'm extracting the sound files from a paid-for copy of the TIE Fighter video game from the 90s. There are some good free tools for sound format manipulation.

SoundMusic

• View Profile

I love my HornIt: http://www.thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140/the-hornit-db140.html
People smile when I pass by and use it
Pages: 1 [2] 3