• April 26, 2024, 11:21:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is it normal for the motor to 'growl' while riding?  (Read 2039 times)

MadwitTY

• View Profile
Is it normal for the motor to 'growl' while riding?
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »

Hey all,

I've put about 500 miles on my '14 SR since purchase - mostly on cold weather (30F-40F). I have noticed that the motor makes a growling noise at lower speeds. The growl also presents with a vibration (mild) that I can feel on the bike and (I may be imagining it) a momentary decline in torque, before the growl goes away. The temperature on the display in usually anywhere between 60F and 150F when it happens. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?
Thanks for the help.

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for the motor to 'growl' while riding?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »

An electric motor should not growl, or make any sort of metallic grinding noise...unless a bearing inside is going out which is the telltale sign that bad things are going to occur in the future if you keep operating it in that manner. 
Electric motors may have a 'whirring' sound as the rotor spins at substantial RPMs, which is the rotor rotating inside, and possibly a small sound at the output pulley which drives the drive belt/chain, but nothing that sounds like the 'growl' you've described.
==>>  You paid very good money for your Zero, and it is still new with only 500 miles on the bike.
            Take it back to the dealer and get it fixed (even to the point of having the motor replaced).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:47:51 PM by MotoRyder »
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

That noise may come from the drive belt.  They can sometimes make noise if they are not adjusted properly, or are dirty, or when wet, such as when riding in the rain.  I would look in that direction first, before panicking. In particular, check the belt alignment and make sure that the belt is running in the middle of the cog wheel and is not being forced to either edge by misalignment of the axle adjusters.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »

You're not referring to the "wounded wookie" groan that you get during acceleration are you? As Richard said it could be the drive belt. If so, I was told at the Zero factory that it's just the belt under load and it's normal. I've experienced it on both of the SR's that I've ridden.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

MadwitTY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:42:29 PM »

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I would describe the sound like if you hum in a lower octave - kind of an 'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm' (pause) 'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' (pause). It's not a constant, but it's certainly noticeable. I will check the belt as soon as I can to make sure it is aligned correctly. Hopefully that's the issue and not a motor problem.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:50:27 PM »

I get a groan after I have just put stress on the motor by accelerating wot up a hill. I don't notice it at that point, but then when I am riding at slower speeds I can hear a groan. It's been going on for several thousand miles, so it must not be anything bad.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:14:51 AM »

That noise may come from the drive belt.  They can sometimes make noise if they are not adjusted properly, or are dirty, or when wet, such as when riding in the rain. 

My 2012 Zero S makes the wounded wookiee sound when riding in the rain.  Performance remains the same.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 04:30:14 AM »

That noise may come from the drive belt.  They can sometimes make noise if they are not adjusted properly, or are dirty, or when wet, such as when riding in the rain. 

My 2012 Zero S makes the wounded wookiee sound when riding in the rain.  Performance remains the same.

My 2012 S made a loud groaning noise when taking off from a stop on a hill.  The noise disturbed me enough that I used to go easy on the throttle when on a hill, until the bike got up to about 20 mph when the noise would cease.  However, my 2014 Zero does not make that noise under the same circumstance.  It must be a motor design thing.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »

My 2014 S has done this since new. It seems to have quieted down a bit, though maybe I'm just used to it and don't notice it anymore. I wonder if it's coming from the top leg of the belt while it's under tension, vibrating like a big guitar string...?
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

MadwitTY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »

I heard the 'wounded wookie' for the first time this morning when I hopped on my bike after it rained all night. Made me chuckle when I heard it - but definitely not the sound I am hearing.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »

i have a decent level of noise. certainly more than my 2011S. I like it as it sounds great when you accelerate hard or regen kicks in. there is as well a louder high pitch sound and now a rear wheel brake or belt squeaking noise. that one I want to get rid off!
in any case great to have a new Zero - my 3rd.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]