• April 26, 2024, 04:36:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clicking sound when plugged-in  (Read 5323 times)

kensiko

• View Profile
Clicking sound when plugged-in
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

Hello I have been away for a few weeks now, I just moved.

Winter is here and I have a strange clicking sound when my bike is plugged-in. Charging works fine. I made two videos, I will post only the second one for now as the first we can't here the clicking.

It was not doing that last winter.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Clicking sound when plugged-in
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »

Making one loud click when first plugging in is normal, but your clicking is odd.  Have you checked for mice.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »

I know this sound!

The 2013 S/DS has 4 Meanwell HLG-32ßH-54 there are two parallel and those are in series.

I have 3 FX Sets (a FX has only two in series) => 6 Meanwells(MW) and have built one system with 4 MW like the S/DS and 2 MW original like a FX use it.

Theoretically the Meanwells can be used in parallel if the voltage adjustment is set correct (as equal as possible) but I had the experience that 2 of my Meanwell do exact that sound when in parallel. This two are now my 2 in series and the other 4 work in parallel without clicking.

If I am right the clicking will stop if the system really charge. Run your bike and replug the charger. Maybe the calibration has changed or the temperature maybe changed this.

I tried to open one but it is completely filled/moulded I don't think the clicking is a relay (this wouldn't be good) I think it is a current peak into a choke making this mechanical click.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:52:02 PM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

They do this when the bike is "full" or the contactor is not closed. They are simply trying to constantly turn on. It is normal.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »

Somewhere in this forum there is a thread about a clicking or ticking sound. I remember the discussion because I first said I didn't have it, then one evening when I was working on another bike, I heard this tick, tick and it was coming from my 2013 S which was plugged in and fully charged, so I had to update my info. Several people reported having the ticking sound. I haven't noticed it since. As I recall it was a short tick though. Your sound seems different somehow, but the frequency seems the same. Found the previous thread. Search "lots of clicking". The entire thread is Re: no charging, just lots of clicking.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:39:58 PM by dkw12002 »

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »

Thanks all. BSDThw seems to know my issue. The main relay is clicking correctly when I plug it, this clicking is less noisy.

Unfortunately I can't really got for a ride right now, snow is everywhere. I will speak with my dealer about this.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »

I saw in the news that some parts of US have really problems with snow. Over here it is a bit like Spring.

It will be enough if you unplug the bike switch it on (light) and maybe drive sometimes a bit in the garage (we can do - we don't asphyxiate ;D)

I think it will be enough to trigger the charger again. I fear this clicking will exist at more bikes 2014 has different charger I only can guess Zero was not 100% satisfied (maybe clicking?)

I was unsure when I have build my system but I believe it will not harm and you hopefully won't have any issues.

Let us know what the dealer knows.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »

I have this same issue on my 2013 S. I have spoken with Zero about it and they said it is a known issue, and not to be concerned. Interestingly, I have noticed that mine only does it in colder temperatures (below ~10C). The clicking went away for the summer but returned in the fall.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »

Hello Spenny,

thanks, that's reassuring. Yes, it is cold here. I'm in Quebec, Canada. It's been below 10C since a month. I assume the firmware update has something to do with it. Last winter I was on the old firmware.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »

Ok I didn't get any response from my dealer, could be busy at moving shop in another place.

Here is Zero's answer:

Hello,

I received the logs you sent (thank you). I have reviewed these logs with one of my Engineers. I also played the video for this emgineer.
After a discussion with this engineer he informed me that the 2013 Meanwell chargers can get into a clicking mode when the battery is at or very near 100% charge.
This (apparently) is a known condition and is not considered a problem. As long as normal charging occurs up to 100 % SOC (state of charge).

So, from what the engineer told me you should not be concerned about this charger clicking noise from your 2013 Zero motorcycle.
If there is ever a problem with not being able to charge, or not being able to charge to 100% then further investigation would be needed.

If you have further questions or concerns please reply back or call me.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 05:50:09 AM »

Hello, just tried to go with the bike and SoC was only at 20%. Green light was off, like last year due to charger not working below 0 Celsius.

Plugged it again, charging fine. Clicking persists. I suspect that while the charger was off, the battery drained due to this clicking thing.

Any comment? I don't like seeing the SoC at 20% without knowing.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »

I would'nt have thought so, the switches in the chargers clicking are driven from mains power not battery I would have thought.

Certainly my 2013 clicks like that at the end of the charge, but has never ever clicked like that while not connected to the mains power.
Your battery drain is more likely from parasitic load from the MBB/Sevcon and BMS boards being on while the bike is plugged into the mains and not charging.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

K. Mine clicked all winter.

Could the battery have drained due to many days below -25 C ? I didn't think it could drain that much by doing nothing, even if cold.

BTW, it always was over -35 C.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »

Hey kensiko,

I am in Ontario and have likely experienced a similar winter to you. My bike also clicked all winter, but I went out to check on it one day and it was completely dead. No green light, no clicking, no nothing. It should be noted that I store my bike in an unheated garage, so it is regularly below freezing. I called Zero, and they told me to warm the bike up, then try charging it again. I ran a space heater aimed at the battery for about 4 hours, then tried plugging in, and the bike charged up no problem. The battery was completely dead.

I had a similar incident about a week later where the green light turned off. I did the same procedure, and the bike started charging again. This time the battery was at 76%. I talked to Zero again, and it sounds like the battery will drain completely in about 4-5 weeks in subfreezing temperatures. To protect the battery, the bike will not charge if it is below 0 degrees, even when connected to the charger. With this winter I would say there has definitely been 4-5 weeks in a row that haven't even approached 0 degrees, so I consider this very possible.

In the manual it states that "Above this temperature (-35), working as a system with the BMS, the charger will ensure the battery survives winter storage with no permanent damage, even if the temperatures dip well below freezing for weeks at a time." I think that Zero has designed it, with the assumption that there will be at least one day every 4-5 weeks where the temperature will be warm enough to top off the pack. Unfortunately this winter has just been so relentless that we haven't had that luxury, February in particular. As I said, it looks like my bike loses ~25% a week in subfreezing temps.

Thankfully we are into spring now, and it looks like my bike survived the winter (with some monitoring)! Zero also told me that there was a firmware update released in October 2014 that improves the cold weather charging behaviour of the 2013 S, but they didn't specify what exactly is changed. My bike is currently at the dealer so I will be having this new firmware applied.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »

Zero - please take note! Not all of us live in California, and battery heaters are pretty ubiquitous on most EV's these days, for the reasons above... :)

If there is something I'd like to see on the 2016 models, its battery warmers.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1] 2