• April 26, 2024, 10:03:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ATF in the motor for cooling  (Read 1312 times)

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
ATF in the motor for cooling
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

I heard from "a source" that ATF in the motor has completely solved overheating issues for some adventurous folks.  This makes sense as it should help move the rotor heat out to the finned case, and generally help prevent hot-spots (plus adding some thermal mass).  That is the extent of what I know, so what I'm hoping to find out is, how much?  A complete fill would transfer heat the best and prevent churning it into a foam, but might stirring a fully filled motor also cause a lot of drag or even heat like a torque converter?  Is just a 1/8-1\4 fill enough to splash around?  Has anyone on here done this and is willing to share?  Obviously this would be a fully warranty-voiding experiment for the motor!  If noone knows I might take it upon myself to try it out, filling a bit at a time.  Sick of overheating!
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: ATF in the motor for cooling
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:29 AM »

Keep in mind that a certain percentage of the over heating reports are due to a faulty temperature sensor on the motor. If you turn on your Zero in the morning or after many hours of not being used you may notice that the temperature of the motor is about 18 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature. Last time I checked this the amount of frost on everything was amazing but my motor temp was showing about 50 degrees. This was after being parked all night.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »

I've been considering doing this there are 2 methods

Temps tire Foam
And ATF

And is good but you need a small breather and resivore to hold the excess fluid; from my understanding you want to fill the entire motor up and the. The resivore will fill and u fill as needed depending on temp etc

If you don't have it competly submersed it may foam or bubble up and not have the wanted effect
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:00 AM »

Didn't relize you have a 13 fx

I have only heard of this in the sds (s or sr motor).  I'm sure it would work just the same is the size 4

I would try to find a sds motor if I was you, it will make a world of difference (no overheating) and a little more trq espically with the mmx tune
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:38 AM »

Does the larger motor bolt straight in?  Just a remap to the controller?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:04:13 AM »

Yes you only need different jack screws and the "tune" need to flash the controller for the encoder angle of the new motor

You can see the back top jack screw with the bigger motor it's nut to buy rather than on yours it's nut spacer nut

"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:43:33 AM »

It would be nice to go all out and upgrade the motor and controller but I've been putting that off.  I've upgraded damn near everything else but the frame and batteries!

I think the ones my source was alluding to were FXes.  I also suspect that's what Hollywood has been doing to their racers' bikes, though I imagine they have the upgraded motors also.  Dunno, think I'll experiment.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »

To me having ridden the both.  The motor is the way to go, but no doubt if you are happy with the power and don't are yourself upgrading the controller like you hinted towards you can save thousands by just doing the cooling

I know they did sds motor and atf

I mean they are basically same motor, message me and I can give you a more accurate description on how to do it

I just don't need to add cooling yet even topped out for long periods I don't heat up, I'm limited by "over straining" the batteries not heat on the motor
I'm so very aware I have the potential to hurt my batteries so I'm careful. 
 Right now we pulled 1000 rpm off the top, and so far I just don't need that extra bit insane acceleration low top speed stopped at 75, with the 98t it's pretty fast but I like quick, I'm a small bike guy
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
Pages: [1]