• April 25, 2024, 02:11:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: BRD is now ALTA Motors, has revealed production RedShift  (Read 2305 times)

drivin98

• View Profile
BRD is now ALTA Motors, has revealed production RedShift
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »

BRD has changed its name and has revealed the motocross and supermoto versions of its RedShift . Deliveries are said to begin in the 2nd quarter of 2015 in California before shipping to other parts of the country in Q3. They also recently scored $4.5 million in investment to help get this done.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: BRD is now ALTA Motors, has revealed production RedShift
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »

http://www.altamotors.co

Not a lot of new information on the website, beyond a loose range specification.

There's a press blast with reviews or more information. I recommend the Autoblog article.

By the specs, it seems pretty similar to the 2013-2015 Zero FX ZF5.7. The Redshift is slightly lighter, has similar power, capacity, and gearing. Damon Lavrinc at Jalopnik claims the Redshift is significantly more robust and the components are higher quality, as you would expect given the extra $3500.

The 40 hp motor is a claimed 11 pounds, versus 30+ pounds for the 44 hp 75-5 motor in the FX. Likewise, the 5.2 kWh battery pack is 70 pounds, versus the ~90 pounds for the two ZF2.8 modules in the FX. Very impressive. Both the motor and controller are liquid cooled, though there is no radiator. The charger is integrated (I'm curious where it's located on the bike), and will charge the bike in 4 hours vs 7.4 hours for the FX. Like the Zero, it is a 110V charger.

Like the FX, the battery pack is swappable, though it is a 5-10 minute job instead of . This would not permit endurance races, but it might be useful for multiple track sessions.

One potential concern is the 1 year warranty. This is atypically short for a premium motorcycle, and Brammo and Zero both have committed to 5 year warranties for their battery packs. Alta does claim that the battery pack will be upgradable to future tech at some point, which would be great to see in practice.

The general impression I get is that Alta aimed to build the best off-road and supermoto bike available, full stop .. more of a Mission or Tesla than Brammo or Zero. I don't know how large the market for a super-premium supermoto bike is; the same $15k will buy you a Zero S ZF12.5 that is probably more useful for most street-riding motorcyclists. But the dirt racing community is very competitive, and if they show up to races and win then they will sell well within that community.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:56 PM »

Good analysis.   Looks like a great bike.

The problem with racing E Bikes in the dirt is that there is no class yet so you can't really race it at most tracks.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

tyskmoped

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:55 PM »

You race with the gas bikes! Here in Europe it is no problem and if the bike is good enough..
The bike must be competitive with gasoline bikes, else it makes no sense.

drivin98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »

From what I understand, the Zero frame isn't quite up to big air and other demands made of hardcore motocross bikes. Personally, it'd be perfect for the way I ride.

AutoblogGreen now has another post up with video of it in action and up-close photos. http://green.autoblog.com/2014/10/20/watch-alta-redshift-perform-on-the-track-pose-for-our-camera/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »

Here is the latest.  Note that their bikes will not be sold directly to retail customers, but will be sold through franchised retail dealers: 

http://www.motorcycle.com/uncategorized/2015-alta-motors-redshift-e-bike.html?utm_source=mo10232014&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]