• April 25, 2024, 07:00:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Leaking fork seal repair  (Read 2062 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Leaking fork seal repair
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:56:44 AM »

Here is a link to a video showing how to use the cheap Motion Pro Seal Mate tool to clean leaking fork seals.  It looks very easy to use and It might be helpful for anyone experiencing this problem with their Fast Ace forks:  https://rideapart.com/articles/easy-fork-seal-repair
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

chdfarl

• View Profile
Re: Leaking fork seal repair
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »

DISCLAIMER: dirt and debris do find there way under fork seals and there are a number of tools out there to clean them one being a simple playing card. That being said don't be left with the impression that if your forks are leaking that its only a small piece of crap under the seal. Fork seals do wear out and dirt under them is sometimes the catalyst but there are a few things that wear seals. Not only that but the bushings inside the forks are the internal guides for the tubes. They are coated with Teflon and wear out too. if that happens as it typically happens on a 2-5 year basis the forks wont function well and the seals new, old or clean wear out too. One other thing is fork oil eventually wears down and ends up dirt, very dirty in fact. That is sometimes why the other two parts break. So in conclusion do clean your fork seals particularly if you ride off road but don't assume that it means you don't service the seals fluids bearings and bushings at the factory scheduled intervals. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:20:33 AM »

Speaking of that:  What is the Zero factory fork servicing scheduled intervals?   ???

And how do you service the 2014 Fast Ace forks?   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:33 AM »

It seems the factory would say "replace with Showa after two years" :P

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

I presume those work, when the debris is actually dirt. But when it is metal shavings that are the by-product of the fork internals self-destructing, well, not so much ;)

Fortunately, 3 forks later, I'm not having any more problems.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:39:42 AM »

OK so my used Zero DS 2012 is my first motorcycle I've ridden off road before so I don't have previous experience with off road issues. I've had the DS for about 10 months and on my last off road ride I started to hear a metal on metal sounding shriek when I hit bumps (sometimes).  The sound is akin to what a dog makes when you step on its tail.  In fact when I first heard it I was passing some people and parked pick-up trucks and I thought it was some dog I didn't see.  But alas it's my bike - I kept hearing it on bumps later on that ride and subsequent rides.

So I guess my question is - is this something serious?  What should I do about it?  Will it go away on it's own?

Jerome
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »

I'd say compress the front and then rear suspension independently to see if you hear the noise. Do it off of the bike in front of and facing it with the brake lever pressed so that the wheel doesn't move and push down. If your really attuned you should isolate where its coming from. I'm not to familiar with Fast Ace but I've seen a few off brand forks and the components look similar to conventional motorcycle components but the material quality and finish is typical rough. The Zeros have lighter duty forks then should be used for any riding off road anyway. Try retrofitting some from a real dirt bike if your planning to use the bike for anything other than commuting.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

The use of a cheap "mechanics's stethoscope" can really help to locate the source of the noise.  They can be purchased in most auto accessory stores for around $15.

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:40 PM »

The use of a cheap "mechanics's stethoscope" can really help to locate the source of the noise.  They can be purchased in most auto accessory stores for around $15.

I wouldn't waste the $15. Stethoscopes are for determining what portion of an ICE engine the noise is coming from ie The head, cylinder or crankcase. You don't have disassemble the whole engine if its one of those things but if you hear something in your forks then they should come off and apart for a complete rebuild. It could be your brake system but if you cant figure out if the sounds coming from the brakes or forks go to a mechanic or at least someone who is mechanically experienced.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »

Thanks for he advice everyone. Oddly the sound went away on its own.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

mcvl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »

hi,
i just replace fork seal on zero ds 2014 .I give you the  size 43x54x11 .It is not difficult to change but beware to 
insert first the friction ring into the bottom of the housing before fitting the fork seal.
before 17 ICE bikes
DS2014
DRS2016
SRS 2020
DSR/X 2023
Pages: [1]