• April 26, 2024, 05:10:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2015 lineup!  (Read 4714 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: 2015 lineup!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »

What I want to know is if those cool new, light weight wheels can be used on a 2013 Zero.

I suspect we previous owners wishing to upgrade our bikes via parts will not have access to them in any significant number given how hard it is to get parts for existing bikes as it is >_<
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »

I hope they haven't abandoned the standard.

I can't imagine they'd abandon Level 3 charging entirely. They need SOME sort of option for DC fast charging, maybe not so much today but in a couple of years it's going to be mandatory for widespread acceptance. CHAdeMO seems the logical choice, based on installed units and overall widespread acceptance so far.

Someone said in another thread that even today, CHAdeMO is "not yet available" for the 2014 S and SR. It seems hard to imagine they're having some sort of issue with the design -- they do have adapters available for some models. Are they just not willing to offer another CHAdeMO adapter until the incompatibility issues are resolved? I have to admit I haven't considered getting one since I don't know how many stations are truly compatible -- I'm not going to shell out $1800 for something unless I know it's going to do the job I need it to do.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

I suspect we previous owners wishing to upgrade our bikes via parts will not have access to them in any significant number given how hard it is to get parts for existing bikes as it is >_<

You know how the world of new technologies works, Burton. You buy something this year, it's better and cheaper next year.

Actually, I'm feeling very gratified right now by my decision to buy last year. There are incremental improvements in the SR this year, but nothing revolutionary, unlike the year before when the SR was introduced as a clear advancement over the S. Sure, ABS would be nice, name-brand components would be cool, but I'm perfectly happy that I bought last year and already have 7000 miles on my bike, probably 10,000 or more before the 2015 is actually available. Honestly, I got lucky, but I feel like my timing was perfect.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »

OUCH the prices in Quebec! I'm glad I had my 2013 demo for 13000$ last year.

Great improvements, but nothing revolutionary. My 2013 still hold well even if it got cheaper tires and suspension.

ABS is great but that's another complicated thing that can get defective. I don't mind normal brakes, I've been running with that for 20 years.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »

Regarding the 10% improvement in battery pack capacity, it is my understanding that Zero is using the same batteries as they did in their 2013 and 2014 models, but have found a more efficient way of packaging them, thereby getting 10% more cells in each battery module.  However they were not able to accomplish this repackaging with the "power tank" modules for some reason.

Personally, I think Zero has done the right thing in letting their power train stay the same while concentrating of improving the ride, handling and quality of the chassis components.  At their price point, you can't go cheap on these components and expect customers to accept that level of quality. Now I think they will be at least equal in handling to the Brammo Empulse.

And speaking of Brammo, what are they up to next year?    ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »

And speaking of Brammo, what are they up to next year?    ???

Brammo is trying to get funding so it can create a cruiser and scooter :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »

Regarding ChaDeMo, it seems like they are waiting for greater compatibility.  They don't want the bad PR of "I spent an extra $1800 on an already expensive bike and what did I get?"   The only bikes that are using/advertising Level 3 charging (ChaDeMo or CCS) run at higher voltages (Lightning, Energica, Mission, etc.). 

I think a lot of parts will be backwards compatible.  I certainly hope the shocks are!  :-)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:31:29 AM by benswing »
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »

Energica is using Combo.

The ones we looked at at Bear Mountain had Combo Type 1 (J1772), but they also had demo bikes with Combo Type 2 (Mennekes).

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:14 AM »

Regarding the 10% improvement in battery pack capacity, it is my understanding that Zero is using the same batteries as they did in their 2013 and 2014 models, but have found a more efficient way of packaging them, thereby getting 10% more cells in each battery module

Repacking is something that a level 2 maintenance eng for Zero can do?

I wonder if an existing bike can be repacked and have its capacity increased for a modest fee?

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »

To those who want ABS, this may be interesting to read:

http://www.bosch-presse.de/presseforum/details.htm?txtID=6490&locale=en

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »

To those who want ABS, this may be interesting to read:

http://www.bosch-presse.de/presseforum/details.htm?txtID=6490&locale=en

Interesting.  That is the system that the 2015 Zeros use. Note that it only works on the front wheel, but it is very light and compact.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »

Doug S,

In an email that Zero sent my dealer it says that Zero feels good about CHAdeMO systems from Nissan, Fuji, and ABB. They tried two Eaton systems and they worked. A forum member here also used two different Eaton systems and both worked on a 2013 Zero. Blink systems won't work since they don't go below 200 volts. Aerovironments are a problem since they go down to 100 volts. So if you are around 25% SOC or more  they may work but if you are down to under 10% SOC they are not likely to work since you may also be down to almost 95 volts. That issue is being worked. Most of the CHAdeMO systems in North Carolina are Nissan and Eaton systems. There are 18 Fuji being installed in NC starting next month. Four of the Nissan systems are within range of my SR and there are three Eaton systems within range. If you go into the Plugshare web site and look for DC Fast Chargers you can see what brands are within your range and then decide if it is worth it to you. DC fast chargers become a bigger deal once you start doing trips that require multiple charges. If I travel across NC right now there are two DC fast chargers that I could use. This could cut charge time by a few hours. And any trip to Raleigh would mean using a fast charger instead of L2. That could easily save an hour and a half of charge time on every trip. It is certainly tempting.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »

Was there any mention of EFACEC chargers in that compatibility list?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »

Thanks, ultrarnr, that's great information. We need to start a database, or see if Zero will share theirs.

Now my only problem is contacting all the CHAdeMO stations in southern CA and finding out what brand of charger they use. I don't think Plugshare has that information.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »

Doug S,

Actually Plugshare does. In some cases you just have to look at the photos, in other cases it says in the description. I looked this morning and you have a lot of Blink and EVGO systems and a few Nissan systems in SOCAL. The Blink will defintely not work since the lowest voltage they support is 200 volts. The EVGO I am not sure. There is a 7-Eleven in San Diego in which the description says it is a Nissan branded CHAdeMO and below that it says it is part of the EVGO network. If Nissan makes the EVGO DCFCs then there is a good chance they will work but you need to dig deeper to be sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3