• April 24, 2024, 07:31:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging: then entire LCD display flashes non-stop  (Read 2296 times)

ZeroMark

• 2014 Zero DS 11.4 Cruising in the Vegas Heat!
    • View Profile
Charging: then entire LCD display flashes non-stop
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

So far, for the last 51 charging cycles, everything has worked perfectly with the 2014 Zero 11.4 DS.  Last night, after the usual day of riding, I plugged in my charging cord to the wall socket and everything was fine - charging from 72%.  When I went out there today to prepare to ride the bike to work, the ENTIRE LCD cluster was flashing the entire LCD items, all on, all off, all on, all off.  I couldn't get it to stop until I put the key in it (it was charging in the straight up and down position, which I called "off, but the wheel is steerable".  When I turned the key over to LOCKED front wheel, it still was flashing everything on the display on, off, on off on off.  Then turned the key to ON/run position, and it still was flashing.  Then I turned back to Locked, and waiting 10 seconds, and then back to on/run, and then the display went thru the normal self test blinking, and then everything was fine.

Anyone ever seen this.  The battery stopped at 95% apparently, but the plug had power all night.  Normally it charges to 97, 98 or 100 depending on hours.

But the flashing sure was scary and wierd.  I attached my phone app and it shows no errors.  I tried to see if any errors blinked on the red symbol on the bottom of the lcd display like the manual mentions, but everything is acting fine now.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Mark Hripko
Zero is my Hero...

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Charging: then entire LCD display flashes non-stop
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »

Mark,

I have had this happen a few times. I just unplugged the charger and everything reset  and problem went away. It hasn't happened enough to be a concern and not worth taking it to the dealer for.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »

I had something like that happen once, but that was when I first started the bike.  I believe it was because I had changed the "custom mode" programming the previous evening, just before turning off the ignition.  (I didn't plug in the charger because the bike was fully charged at the time.)  When I turned the ignition on in the morning, all of the symbols on the display were flashing like mad.  So I turned off the ignition and then back on and everything returned to normal and that has not happened again.  I believe it happened because the computer had not fully processed my custom programming before I turned off the ignition the previous evening.  Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see that flashing display again.  It is kind of unnerving.  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:50:14 AM »

I experienced the same display issue, only once, after I washed the bike. I was careful not to spray water directly into the chargers under the motor, and used light spray elsewhere.

After washing, I turned on the bike and was greeted with exactly the same display ""mode" as your description. I turned off the key and waited for 30 minutes in the sun, believing the issue may be water intrusion in the display unit. It booted up fine and I have not experienced the problem, again.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »

The dealer should be able to pull the logs from the bike and look for any error codes around the time of the problem.

There707

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

This has also happened to me, only once. I unplugged the charger then cycled the ignition on-off and once the display turned off, plugged the charger back in and all was good again. Thought it must be a firmware bug but glad to hear others have seen this with no real negative effects once cleared.
2016 Zero DSR 10th Year Anniversary
2008 Honda GL1800
2006 Honda VFR800
1986 Yamaha FZX750 (Fazer)
1982 Honda CB750C

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Charging: then entire LCD display flashes non-stop
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »

Had the same issue twice today on my 2015 SR. Have had the bike for only a few days, unerving is What it is. Will make a log tomorrow and send it to the factory. Its been raining quite a bit, and thedisplay Seem to change colour across the surface towards bluish in some places around the edges. Moisture?
Should cope with normal raining weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:41:13 AM by skoleskibe »

emoowear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »

Same thing happened here. Though the bike has never been exposed to water via a wash or rain. It was plugged in and looked to be charging fine before I left it. 4 days later I come back to it and the whole screen is flashing.

Unplugged and then rode it as I normally would and haven't noticed any issues. It has happened twice already and I suspect when I come back to the bike in a few days, it will be flashing again.  :-\

Hope this gets sorted out. I'd hate to find out that I'm doing more damage to it by continually charging it.  :o

2016 S 9.8 by the way.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »

I had the flashing screen issue occur once a few months ago on my 2014 S.  From reading the owner's manual, it appears that it was indicating a charger self-test failure.  I unplugged the charger and re-plugged it back in and it stopped flashing and started charging normally.  I have never had that issue before or since.  I have to admit though, it sure looked scary in my dark garage.  It looked like a July 4 celebration.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

emoowear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »

It looked like a July 4 celebration.   ;)

;D here's hoping that our bikes won't be bringing the sparkles as well as the flashing To celebrate the 4th.

Happy 4th everyone!

qorw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:44 AM »

I had this happen to me this week, three times and on the third the bike just stayed SWITCHED ON! No matter what I do, I can even pull the key switch out and everything stays on, lights blazing brightly....

To stop it burning out I had to pull all the fuses, am waiting for my dealer to make the next move (I live 1200km away from him and he will incur huge cost to collect my bike and check it out before fixing) Something is either shorted out in the keyswitch circuitry or the electronics driving the relays and DC contractors is/are fried...

2014 Zero DS, bought in Feb 2016, 6500km only
2014 Zero DS, 2010 BMW R1200R, 2013 BMW F800GS

qorw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »

Ok problem solved, it is a defective DC to DC converter. This unit converts the 72V DC from the Battery to usable 12VDC for the lamps, flickers, dash etc. and is switched electronically by the MBB (Bike's Management Board). My DC to DC converter's ENABLE circuit has failed causing it to stay on permanently, ie all the lights just burn.
2014 Zero DS, 2010 BMW R1200R, 2013 BMW F800GS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »

If you have a 2014, shouldnt you have the 28cell  84-116v battery?
Pages: [1]