• April 25, 2024, 06:19:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sound System on 2014 DS  (Read 4027 times)

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
Sound System on 2014 DS
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »

I've recently completed the installation of an Electric Vehicle Sound System, specifically the SoundRacer EVSMA-1 at http://eveess.com/evsm-2/ . I mounted the sound generation unit under the tank, and on top of the powertank battery. The speakers fit very well on the sides of the headlight, allowing room for the forks to turn without hitting the tank. The speakers are 3" and 20W (20W/channel on the EVSMA1 module). I coupled the high-beam switch to a relay that provides a ground signal for the unit, so flashing the high-beams will cause the Shelby Cobra idle sound to rev. The hall effect sensors, mounted to the front wheel, provide a programmable rate increase in the sound. I'll black-anodize the speaker mounting spacers, as I have most unpainted parts on the bike.

It's loud and lots of bass. It lacks some of the treble I expected from the unit, and the resin-cone speakers may be reason.

I understand Doc has a sound system. Does anyone else have an experience with them to share?
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Sound System on 2014 DS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »

I sent them an email in 2013 and never received a reply. How did you get their attention? :(

I'm trying to get a Tie fighter sound, and I don't care whether it changes pitch with RPM. It seems like this should be simpler than what they're actually doing.

Anyway, the install job looks good and the idea of tying it to the high beam switch is good.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »

I bought the EVSM-2 last year From Kenneth of Soundracer company.  curiously i never installed it yet.. I played with it yesterday to hear the sound i asked for wich is the GSXR sound.
It look good but i will have to reprogram some feature to have a more realistic gear shift sound. the kit come with a micro SD card input that you can store many different sound files.

On my side i will use thas tank as speaker enclosure for my little 5 1/4 full range speaker. This should give frequency response down to 70-80 hz wich will be good for the idle sound too.

ON my EVSM-2 i have connected the RPM detection with the throttle signal  instead of the wheel rpm. I want to be able to twist the throttle and rev the motor sound just like the bike would have a  neutral too This allow to rev the engine  sound without the need to drive the bike!! I also   installed a 100uF capacitor and a comutation diode  between the throttle signal input and the throttle signal. This make the rpm to have a slow ramp down when i play with teh throttle in "neutral"  and make a moree realistic motor crank inertia, otherwise as soon as the throttle position comeback to zero, the motor sound follow that witch is too fast ramp down and make unrealistic.

Doc

Doc
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:40:33 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46:15 AM »

Geez, you guys! One thing I love about electric bikes is the low sound level. 8) I even resent the noise from my chain (I use a chain drive because of my off-road riding).

To each his own.  :D

Ah, but sometimes I do have my thumb ready at the horn button.

Trikester

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:38 AM »

I sent them an email in 2013 and never received a reply. How did you get their attention? :(

I'm trying to get a Tie fighter sound, and I don't care whether it changes pitch with RPM. It seems like this should be simpler than what they're actually doing.

Anyway, the install job looks good and the idea of tying it to the high beam switch is good.

I googled sound systems and found several options. The SoundRacer had a really good youtube of an RC model with the system. I sent an email and Kenneth responded upon return from travels. Fast delivery and options such as speakers, etc.

Kenneth uses, as Doc discussed, a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to store sound profiles on a removable data flash-chip. So, I am sure he can provide the sound profiles you need, although probably for a fee. I'm considering doing that with an air-start radial aircraft engine when I activate the high-beam switch, and idling engine, unless moving. Doc has really good ideas on sensor inputs, and I'd like the TIE fighter sound, too. I'll make a request of Kenneth for amy custom profile. That also means another switch somewhere on the bike to select the downloaded sound (flash card doesn't have to remain in the DSP unit), unless you are happy with just 1 of the 5 supplied sounds (mine is the Shelby Cobra and rough high-cammed idle).

I glued my unit to the top of the powertank batter. Almost 50% of the battery top is at a level ~2" lower than the rest, and lots of room to silicon glue small items, such as terminal strip, transformers, sound system unit, control input units, etc. I used ~ 15% of this space. I also used a lot of cable mesh/wrap and ties, waterproof connectors, series fuse that is connected to the 12V accessory socket (10 amp rating), everything soldered with shrink-tubing or lugs. The accessory socket also powers my phone while in the RAM mounting system, great for GPS in the hills.

A large speaker inside the standard, non-powertank, tank would be a superior solution to my smaller resin cone speakers. I, initially, had 2 small (~2") rectangular marine speakers glued to the frame between the end of the battery and the plastic tank and they produced stronger treble notes, but minimal bass, and bass is more defining of an engine sound.

Doc has some good ideas...

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:06 AM »

This sound unit is useful to have in an urban area.

Pedestrians don't look in many cases and can attempt to dart across the street without seeing you.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:52:35 AM »

I googled sound systems and found several options. The SoundRacer had a really good youtube of an RC model with the system. I sent an email and Kenneth responded upon return from travels. Fast delivery and options such as speakers, etc.

Kenneth uses, as Doc discussed, a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to store sound profiles on a removable data flash-chip. So, I am sure he can provide the sound profiles you need, although probably for a fee. I'm considering doing that with an air-start radial aircraft engine when I activate the high-beam switch, and idling engine, unless moving. Doc has really good ideas on sensor inputs, and I'd like the TIE fighter sound, too. I'll make a request of Kenneth for amy custom profile. That also means another switch somewhere on the bike to select the downloaded sound (flash card doesn't have to remain in the DSP unit), unless you are happy with just 1 of the 5 supplied sounds (mine is the Shelby Cobra and rough high-cammed idle).

I glued my unit to the top of the powertank batter. Almost 50% of the battery top is at a level ~2" lower than the rest, and lots of room to silicon glue small items, such as terminal strip, transformers, sound system unit, control input units, etc. I used ~ 15% of this space. I also used a lot of cable mesh/wrap and ties, waterproof connectors, series fuse that is connected to the 12V accessory socket (10 amp rating), everything soldered with shrink-tubing or lugs. The accessory socket also powers my phone while in the RAM mounting system, great for GPS in the hills.

A large speaker inside the standard, non-powertank, tank would be a superior solution to my smaller resin cone speakers. I, initially, had 2 small (~2") rectangular marine speakers glued to the frame between the end of the battery and the plastic tank and they produced stronger treble notes, but minimal bass, and bass is more defining of an engine sound.

Doc has some good ideas...

This is all good to hear. For what it's worth, I've done DSP software programming before, so it wouldn't bother me to write to the flash in a custom way to get what I want.

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:43:41 AM »

Geez, you guys! One thing I love about electric bikes is the low sound level. 8) I even resent the noise from my chain (I use a chain drive because of my off-road riding).

To each his own.  :D

Ah, but sometimes I do have my thumb ready at the horn button.

Trikester

Me too (Stealth mode) ;D

zerotracer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

I like the real sound of the electric engine  8)
Yamaha FZ6 S2 - 2008 "sold"
Zero S ZF9 - 2012 - production nr. 0014 "sold"
Zero S ZF11.4 - 2013 - production nr. 2887 - firmware updated 12/3-14 - new BMS board 28/7-14 - ZF12.5 battery upgrade 20/4-16

Denmark Europe

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »

Yes, I totally like the bike electrics (motor, controller) sounds and may even add some passive ferrous material to harmonically couple with the controller or motor, upon demand. I enjoy surprising people with the Shelby Cobra engine sound, and it is usually on for only a few seconds. Of course, I prefer the near-silence when snaking around the beautiful roads deep in the redwood forests. Most of these routes are primarily used by bicyclists and the very few people that live along the, often, single lane roads.

I understand that federal or state legislation may be pending for a requirement. It already exists in the European Union, Japan, and the UK. The Feds are discussing the addition of sounds for, I believe, under 17mph (I am probably wrong on the speed). Here's a nice reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »

When I converted my trike to Zero electric I needed to put a ankle guard off the end of the motor shaft because it is exposed. I used aluminum because any steel plate there would definitely have hummed with the impulses of the AC motor drive. There is a pretty strong magnetic field around our motors especially on the output shaft.

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:51 PM »

When I converted my trike to Zero electric I needed to put a ankle guard off the end of the motor shaft because it is exposed. I used aluminum because any steel plate there would definitely have hummed with the impulses of the AC motor drive. There is a pretty strong magnetic field around our motors especially on the output shaft.

Trikester

I always thought it was pretty funny seeing ads for little magnets being sold for $10 that you were to attach to your motorcycle frame and were supposed to trigger traffic lights.  I note that if I can't trigger a traffic light using induction loops with my IC motorcycles, my Zero won't do any better.  And I bet its motor has a larger magnetic field that a little magnet, which is located at least as far away from the ground as the motor.

Of course, I knew these magnets wouldn't work when I watched our city traffic signal crews test their loops.  To see if they work, they throw a steel shovel over the loop and if it activates the signal, they have done their job and move on to the next activity (likely to a break or lunch   ::) ).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

zerotracer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:10 AM »

My Zero often attracts woman, I think there is a pussy magnet in this bike  :P
Yamaha FZ6 S2 - 2008 "sold"
Zero S ZF9 - 2012 - production nr. 0014 "sold"
Zero S ZF11.4 - 2013 - production nr. 2887 - firmware updated 12/3-14 - new BMS board 28/7-14 - ZF12.5 battery upgrade 20/4-16

Denmark Europe

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 02:08:48 AM »

I contacted Kenneth at SoundRacer and regarding custom sound profiles. He advised he is very busy and unable to provide the service.

Perhaps someone on this forum knows of a person that can produce the scripts/code for the SoundRacer systems?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:39 AM »

I contacted Kenneth at SoundRacer and regarding custom sound profiles. He advised he is very busy and unable to provide the service.

Perhaps someone on this forum knows of a person that can produce the scripts/code for the SoundRacer systems?

Maybe we can reverse engineer it. I'd gladly order a stock system if I could hack it myself.
Pages: [1] 2