• April 26, 2024, 02:47:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Front Wheel removal / tire replacement?  (Read 2210 times)

nekodan

• 2023 Zero DSR/X
    • View Profile
Front Wheel removal / tire replacement?
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:10:29 AM »

My rear RoadWinner tire quit on me (less than 4k miles) so I purchased some replacement tires (Michelin Pilot Street) for front and back.

I was able to remove the rear wheel, have the tire swapped, and re-install it without too much trouble.

But I don't think that I can figure out what to even loosen on the front to remove the wheel. It's annoying that this routine maintenance task isn't in the owner's manual.

Can someone tell me, point me to another thread, or send me a guide on how to remove and re-install the front wheel?

Thanks!

Martin

• View Profile
Re: Front Wheel removal / tire replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:16:23 AM »

I just called tech support and they sent me the torques and the instruction excerpts for the rear wheel. I am sure they would do the same for the
front. (If you do get it, I wouldn't mind a copy)

I bought an additional rear wheel assy because it is easier than getting the tire replaced in a jiffy. I average 3 rear flat tires a year.

Side note: They said they don't have a way to give out the full manual to consumers but the discussion in underway. I think we all should request it so we can show the urgency and desire.

Also, I would think that your tire is covered under warranty. 4K miles seems low for it to fail already.

c-fut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »

I just called tech support and they sent me the torques and the instruction excerpts for the rear wheel. I am sure they would do the same for the
front. (If you do get it, I wouldn't mind a copy)

I bought an additional rear wheel assy because it is easier than getting the tire replaced in a jiffy. I average 3 rear flat tires a year.

Side note: They said they don't have a way to give out the full manual to consumers but the discussion in underway. I think we all should request it so we can show the urgency and desire.

Also, I would think that your tire is covered under warranty. 4K miles seems low for it to fail already.

Would you be willing to share what you got on the torques and the instruction excerpts for the rear wheel?
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »

The procedure for your '13 S is basically identical to my '14 FX, so here's how I do mine:

1) Support  the center of the bike (stand, etc.)
2) Lift the front wheel off the ground maybe 1" or so
   I recently installed a heavy-duty hook into a ceiling beam w/ tie-downs to the handlebar center, it works great
3) Remove the RH axle end cap (mine uses a 6mm hex key)
4) Loosen the four axle-clamp bolts (5mm hex)
5) Spin axle slightly if needed (6mm hex on LH end), then slide axle out while holding wheel up
6) Roll wheel out forward from brake caliper

I use 15 ft/lb on the end cap and 9 ft/lb on the clamp bolts during reassembly.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »

4) Loosen the four axle-clamp bolts (5mm hex)

The twist I'd add (because I only recently learned) is loosen them each a little, and then each a little more. If you loosen them one at a time all the way out - the final one has all the stress, and doesn't cope well with that.
Anything new you learn - please add:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Front_Bearing_replacement

If visuals help you out:

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »

On the FXs, there are only two pinch bolts, then the axle unscrews. A large hex tool like this is a big help. 17,19,22,24 mm with a 3/8" drive on the ends. They are only a few bucks. Removing caliper makes it a bit easier to install, just don't squeeze brake lever while it's off!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:23:30 AM »

I've separated out front wheel removal in the wiki to make it easier to modify for the FX:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Front_Wheel_Removal

However, I'm not ready to figure all that out yet, so hopefully someone can step up. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]