• April 26, 2024, 06:18:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: and yet another question about regen  (Read 1197 times)

trekguy

• View Profile
and yet another question about regen
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:40:15 AM »

My SR is almost 3 weeks old and nearing 1300 miles. I have yet to bluetooth in any custom settings with my phone.
Is the regen in eco mode the maximum that the motor will allow, or can I get more regen using bluetooth and custom mode set to 100%  ?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: and yet another question about regen
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »

I think the defaults are not 100% regen until the brake levers are pulled (I have 2013 and have customized it for a long time now). So you should be able to dial in more.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »

On the 2013 S default settings for regen in eco are not 100%. I only ride my bike in eco mode with all parameters set to 100% and never use sport mode. It's one of the best things about the bike that you can get the equivalent of strong engine braking to slow you down with off-throttle which gives you a little head start while you decide if you want to brake or not. It's a safety feature for me. Regen is not even a consideration for me. It's all about the engine braking. I found myself coming up too fast behind stopped cars before I programmed it that way because the bike rolls so easily. I know I would want max everything settings on the SR. I can't imagine programming in anything but max power either. Wouldn't it be a shame to be maxed out with power and need to get around something fast? Suddenly, the bike became more confidence inspiring. You should at least try the max everything settings. Some others seem to prefer the other route...with no off-throttle regen (engine braking) presumably so they get better range with the bike rolling farther. I can understand that too, however, easy rolling seems a little dangerous to me.  I see no advantage to setting braking regen to anything less than 100%. I mean you only apply the brakes when you want to stop, right?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:33:01 AM by dkw12002 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »

I also consider regen to be engine braking, as a safety factor so my braking reaction is faster, particularly since the brakes themselves squeal quite a bit when overworked (I live in hilly Seattle) and they are not that strong to begin with.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »

I have my closed-throttle regen set to 0% because the bike still has enough drag when coasting to hold a steady speed down a local expressway that I use every day which has about a 6% gradient for a couple of miles.  Using 0% feels like most of my IC bikes in high gear with the throttle shut.  When I need to slow down easily or want to hold a stead speed down a steeper hill, I just apply my front brake slightly and not only does that provide 100% regen, but it also applies the rear brake light to alert vehicles behind me that I am slowing down.  If I need to brake harder then I just push harder on the front brake to get it to do its job and then I start stomping on the rear brake to try to get it to do something, too.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »

I do exactly what Richard230 does except I also have a lever on a momentary switch on my left handlebar that activates the brake light to give me 100% regen in ECO mode. In off-road riding I am frequently tapping regen to hold  a certain speed on steep downhills. This is more convenient than frequently pulling partial brake lever to light the stop light and trigger regen. However, on city streets I do use the brake lever so that I am ready to brake hard if I need to.

100% regen in ECO mode is actually 25% of controller rating (400A) so it would be clearer if Zero had stuck with their original definitions of % regen. The stock setting for SPORT is 15% which in the new terminology (25% relating to 100%), that would be 60% regen.

I have both SPORT and ECO set at 0% regen with no brake light, for easy coasting, then SPORT is 60% with brake light and ECO is 100% with brake light. The reason for the lighter regen, with brake light, in SPORT is because sometimes the 25% ECO regen can break the rear wheel loose on soft terrain (not good).

Harlan did the SPORT programming for me since it can't be done with my iPod.

Another thing I had Harlan do is lower the speed at which regen quits. The factory has that speed at 15mph (on the FX). This is way too high in dirt riding. The way it works from the factory is; the regen starts tapering off at a set speed and then quits completely at a lower speed. It's all based on motor rpm. Harlan lowered both points for me and now regen starts the taper off at a lower speed and doesn't quit completely until I'm down to about 1 1/2 mph. I can actually stop at stop signs and lights using only regen now. I actually would like to also get rid of the tapering off but I don't know if that is possible.

Trikester

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »

Oh, thanks for those tips, Trikester. I will try to apply those when my warrantee expires next Spring.
Pages: [1]