• March 29, 2024, 06:45:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: my new SR will get delivered this Wednesday,  (Read 1359 times)

trekguy

• View Profile
my new SR will get delivered this Wednesday,
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »

right to my home, as the dealer is 200 miles away.  Bought it in Dayton OH and looking forward to riding it in my own area, to see how far I can go on battery charge.
I'll put my mark on the map, so look  for yet another Zero rider in Ohio.

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
Re: my new SR will get delivered this Wednesday,
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »

Congrats, Trek! You're gonna' love it! Just you try to not make shuttlecraft or warp engine noises in your helmet while you're riding, I dare ya!  ;D
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

Consider buying a 2000 watt generator and leaving it with a good friend or neighbor. That way if you find the limits of the battery you can have them bring out the generator and you can charge on the side of the road and then ride home. Easier than trying to load the bike on a  pick-up or trailer. The SR really is an awsome bike.

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 02:56:45 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.

I hope you were kidding about the generator (ultranr)

It seems like most riders program coasting regen at 100%. Why would one want it any less? Isn't that the way to get the most additional range (for free)?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:22 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.

I hope you were kidding about the generator (ultranr)

It seems like most riders program coasting regen at 100%. Why would one want it any less? Isn't that the way to get the most additional range (for free)?

I find that in my riding, coasting regen gives me longer range, as I don't have to open and then close the throttle while trying to hold a steady speed downhill.  I have my braking regen set for 100% and if I need to adjust my speed slightly while coasting downhill, I just touch the front brake slightly and obtain the maximum regen drag and power production and then let off the brake after I have adjusted my speed to the traffic conditions and then I can resume coasting without needing any power from the batteries.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:02 AM »

Congratulations! Did you opt for the Power Tank?
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.

No, I did not opt for the Power Tank...yet.  I really like how easily the SR leans in corners, and if I got the $$$ tank, I feel it would change the center of gravity just enough to take the sporting edge out of cornering. Also, I think I can be pretty good at getting the most mileage out of a single charge, and get where I want to go with gusto.

Besides, my other bike is an Aprilia Mana 850, and if I want to take a long day trip, I can use it.

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »

I've found that I get about 100 mixed miles with my riding style / local conditions in sport mode on my 11.4 SR. I have a gasser as well if I need more range so I won't buy the power tank.

Several posts and thoughts on regen if you search. Riding styles vary but I'm always in sport mode unless trying to maximize mileage, then IMO:

1) With frequent stops, use both coast regen and brake regen (ECO mode in town)

2) Open road, 0% coast and 100% brake (Custom mode on highway or outside of town)

2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »

trekguy,

I wasn't kidding about the generator. The last time I pushed my luck with the range I lost. I thought I could make it home from Charlotte, NC without charging and after 106 miles the battery had nothing left.  I was only 3 miles from home. I called my neighbor and she came out and picked me up, went home, got my 3KW generator and charged for about 20-30 minutes and that was enough to get me home. Much easier than trying to get my SR on my Ford Ranger or to get it on my trailer. I have also learned that head winds and tail winds make a difference. For example US-1 goes SW to NE from Sanford to Raleigh and has a 70 MPH speed limit. Winds are frequently from the SW. If there is a 10 MPH wind from the SW it will take a lot more power to get home than it did to get there. So check the weather report if you think you may be riding close to your max range! It may take a lot more power to get home if you are facing a strong headwind. There are a lot of things that effect range and some are tough to predict how much if any effect they will have. I know it sounds like a lot of fun to go out and see how far you can get on a charge and I have done a few rides like that but do think about what you will do if you gamble and lose.

There is a lot of talk here about regen and how it extends range. Honestly I can't see any difference riding locally at all. I have taken two trips so far across North Carolina on my SR and once I get into the western mountains that is where regen makes a difference on range. I would ride downhill for miles and the charge level would not drop at all and in one case the charge level went up several percent. For most riding it comes down to how much braking effect to you like. I have mine set up for about 74% on throttle closing and 100% at braking. If I lightly touch the front brake lever the regen kicks in before the brake pads do.  Plan on experimenting with this.

I had a Mana GT also. I think Zero should have a storage compartment like the Mana GT has. Having the hinge in the front makes far more sense than in the rear like the NC700.

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »

If you ride conservatively and use the regen to brake as you suggested with lightly pressing the brake lever, I see a difference. Wind is a big factor too. My SR seems to go forever if I keep it under 40 mph and conciously use brake regen. For testing range, have fun in sport until you reach 50% then head back in eco/custom while managing regen. I usually have ~10% remaining and have never ran out.

Agreed on the storage.
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:34 AM »

If you ride conservatively and use the regen to brake as you suggested with lightly pressing the brake lever, I see a difference. Wind is a big factor too. My SR seems to go forever if I keep it under 40 mph and conciously use brake regen.

I typically have remaining range showing on my dash. I ride pretty much only city (live and work in the city). I did a couple days of extremely gentle riding - slow acceleration and not exceeding 35mph. When I woke up one morning and pulled my bike out of the garage, the remaining range said 315km (191 miles). This weekend I had to head out of town on the highway and returned home with 50% battery and an estimated range remaining of 65km (39 miles).

Just as you say, speed and wind make a significant difference :)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:37 AM »

You don't need a generator as long as you are in the US.  Every building has 110V outlets if necessary.

Take a few trips at different speeds, keep an eye on the Wh/mi on the app, and you'll be able to push your boundaries safely. 

Just finished a 5,500 mile road trip and my Zero never left me shirt of my destination.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »

Take a few trips at different speeds, keep an eye on the Wh/mi on the app, and you'll be able to push your boundaries safely. 

Or better yet, don't push them. Your batteries will last longer and you'll never have to worry about getting home. Seriously, how hard is it to plan your affairs?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »

Thanks for all the insightful replies. 

My new bike is just hours away (it better not rain Wednesday), and the first thing I want to do after polishing it, is set the regen to 0% coasting, and 100% braking...I think.
So let me get this straight... ECON and SPORT modes are factory set and non-adjustable.  CUSTOM mode is the one I use for personal regen characteristics?

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »

Yes. Settings only effect custom mode on 2014 models.

Honestly, don't worry about it yet. Have fun and ride! Unless you plan to go more than 60 miles on a ride, nothing matters :)
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750
Pages: [1]