• April 26, 2024, 09:26:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nylon push rivets  (Read 824 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Nylon push rivets
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:10:22 AM »

The 2012 S that I gave my daughter is popping (like popcorn) its plastic rivets that are used to hold the plastic fairing parts to the chassis, leaving plastic holes covering the bike.  So I visited my dealer today to order some more rivets for her.  The parts guy immediately pointed out a package of BOLT "Sportbike Nylon Rivets" that were hanging on the counter display and informed my that these rivets are the type that hold the 2012 S together.  They are described as "M6 Three-Stage Push Rivet/Nylon Clip".  A package of 10 set me back $6 USD.  I get the feeling that Zero is not the only manufacturer who uses these plastic rivets to hold their bikes together.  At least you don't have to order them (and wait for them to arrive) from Zero.

While I was at the shop, I noticed several new Zero bikes sitting next to the outer wall of the showroom, where they were connected to electrical outlets. There were several others intermixed with other motorcycles on the floor.  What I found interesting is that their price tags included a $350 "dealer surcharge".  All of the other Japanese IC motorcycles in the showroom had "surcharges" added to their MSRP, in some cases as much as $600 per bike.  I guess the motorcycle sales business is good this year in the SF Bay Area.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

mikeisted

• View Profile
Re: Nylon push rivets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:52 AM »

So I looked up the rivets on ebay maybe for spares.  Found them at only 4USD - great.  Then noticed the postage to the UK - 48USD!  Think I'll stick to plan A which is to replace them all with alloys ;-)
Pages: [1]