• April 23, 2024, 07:40:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two identical Zero DS 2012s, sorta  (Read 2335 times)

evdjerome

• View Profile
Two identical Zero DS 2012s, sorta
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »

My neighbor from a couple blocks away has an identical Zero as mine. Except he's done some modifications to his as can be seen in the photos below. He's heading to the Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge.

2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Two identical Zero DS 2012s, sorta
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »

That's Dr. Goff, right? He competed in the Vetter challenges last year too.

http://craigvetter.com/pages/2013-Challenges/2013-Vintage-Days-Challenge.html
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:34:31 AM »

Yep, that's Dr. Goff. I forgot to mention he says he is seeing a 17% increase in range since doing his Vetter mod.
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

Looks well streamlined for good mileage, just don't get caught in a strong crosswind! :o

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »

I would expect a little more of a range increase than that - though I hear the tail section is more important. I'm also curious about how much exactly the frontal area increases vs a naked bike w/ a rider.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

I agree with protomech, I'd expect more of an improvement with a full fairing like that. The range on my SR improved by an honest 20% (maybe even closer to 25%) when I added my Slipstreamer.

Maybe we're talking about different speeds? My informal testing was done on my commute, almost all of which is at freeway speeds. Certainly there's not as much to be gained at lower speeds by cleaning up the aerodynamics. Maybe he's cruising slower than I am, where improvements are harder to come by?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:50:01 AM »

I agree with protomech, I'd expect more of an improvement with a full fairing like that. The range on my SR improved by an honest 20% (maybe even closer to 25%) when I added my Slipstreamer.

Isn't a Slipstreamer just a big plastic windscreen?
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:39 AM »

Yep.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »

Maybe we're talking about different speeds? My informal testing was done on my commute, almost all of which is at freeway speeds. Certainly there's not as much to be gained at lower speeds by cleaning up the aerodynamics. Maybe he's cruising slower than I am, where improvements are harder to come by?

Could be Doug. I don't know what speeds he got the 17% from. I think he mainly rides around town which is probably averaging around 35 mph.
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »

The range on my SR improved by an honest 20% (maybe even closer to 25%) when I added my Slipstreamer.
Yep.
20% is hard to believe.  Here's why I think that:  If Zero could get 20% improved range (170 miles is now 200+) by shipping the bike with $150 (retail) $30 (wholesale) fairing, why wouldn't they?  In the EV game where range means so much, what's $30? 
2kWh in batteries to get the same 20% range increase would add thousands to the cost of the bike.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »

20% is hard to believe.

I had trouble believing it, too, but it's true. I have no reason to lie about it. Granted, it was a very unscientific experiment, but the aerodynamics of un-faired motorcycles are known to be very poor.

Zero DOES offer windshields. They're an extra-cost option. I didn't go with one of theirs because I wanted the biggest handlebar-attached one I could find that wouldn't add a lot of weight.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 08:52:37 PM »

Shouldn't be hard to prove.

On the same day around the same time try this.

Remove the Slipstreamer and go out for a ride.
Pick a flat level area where you can go your highway speed long enough to get an wh/hr average.
Pick a "check point" and check the wattage and go home.

Put the Slipstreamer back on and repeat.

I plan on doing this a lot when I get my Vetter stuff on the bike. But it has to be done close together on the same day to remove other variables.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »

Shouldn't be hard to prove.

I've thought a lot about doing the best controlled experiment I can rig up, but I can't really come up with a good reason to do so. I'm an EE, not a REAL scientist. It'd be nice to verify the real number, I guess, but I guess I'm not that big on the niceties.

What I CAN tell you, for sure, is that I used to limit my top cruising speed to 65 mph on the freeway, to keep from getting home with less than 20% charge after my commute (which Google maps says is 45 miles but my odometer says is 50). Since I installed the windscreen, I can now cruise as high as 75 mph on the freeway and I'm averaging 35% when I get home, assuming I don't make any side trips. Of course my commute isn't 100% freeway, and traffic prevents me from maintaining 75 mph the entire time I am on the freeway, but that's still a BIG difference, and I don't feel like everyone's trying to find a way to get around me any more.

aelwero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

The range on my SR improved by an honest 20% (maybe even closer to 25%) when I added my Slipstreamer.
Yep.
20% is hard to believe.  Here's why I think that:  If Zero could get 20% improved range (170 miles is now 200+) by shipping the bike with $150 (retail) $30 (wholesale) fairing, why wouldn't they?  In the EV game where range means so much, what's $30? 
2kWh in batteries to get the same 20% range increase would add thousands to the cost of the bike.

I think this is a realistic estimate personally...  I made a small windscreen, basically an upside down triangle with the sides rounded to make it rigid, and that single square foot of plexi diverting air upwards off my chest made an actual noticeable difference at freeway speeds.  not only is it "growling" at higher speed, but the temp indicator takes around 30% more distance at max speed to turn on. 

As far as why zero doesn't ship with fairings, I totally agree with you that it doesn't add up.  It could be a marketing thing...  more folks might be amenable to buying them if they look more like a normal motorcycle.  Appearances are a big thing for vehicles.  hard to say for sure though :)
"Popular culture believes that Americans no longer want to make anything themselves... that they are happy to have somebody else do it for us.

I've never believed this. The US is full of capable and brilliant designers and dreamers. I encourage you to be one of them. You can do this"

Craig Vetter

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

As far as why zero doesn't ship with fairings, I totally agree with you that it doesn't add up.

My guess is that 1) the list price of the bike is already very high, and they didn't want to drive it any higher by including any hardware they didn't have to, and 2) if they offer the fairings as options, you can ride without one or pick the smaller or larger version. Owner's choice.
Pages: [1] 2