• March 29, 2024, 06:51:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question about Zero and being a new rider  (Read 2435 times)

MVHSTC

• View Profile
Re: Question about Zero and being a new rider
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »

A larger pack buys you longer range and more longevity, here are specs on the '13 with an 8.5 vs the 11.4 pack:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/2013/specs.php

I'm not concerned about top speed, as long as it can do 85mph to get out of danger I'm happy.  But there's really no point in going fast.  Its really all about quick acceleration and good handling.

As for being heavier and drop in performance of the bike.  That's with anything, a car, plane, boat with a gas or electric drive.  So its all equal.  The lighter the "thing" is, the further and quicker it can go using the same per unit if energy.  Braking is the same, you need to stop every pound of weight since it has forward motion and it takes longer to stop every extra pound.

Okay cool, thanks for the info.

So in your opinion is it worth pay the extra money to get the 11.4 pack or just pay 500 more and get the power tank? Because I could get the base model and add the power tank for only a little more than getting the 11.4, but it makes the bike a second slower adding that.

Thanks again.

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »

AustinSZF8.5 "bike is nice and light, center of gravity is placed well for very easy handling." I have read where the power tank makes the SR a bit more top heavy, Have you rode one and if yes do you think it does ? thanks

I haven't ridden one with the power tank so I can't say for sure, but thinking about where it carries the weight I wouldn't think it would be all that drastic. Would it affect it? Sure. Would it make it a crappy handling bike? Doubt it.

Battery capacity is just a matter of range. In fact, larger batteries will hurt performance due to the extra weight. I'd get the smallest battery you think you'll need for the tasks you'll be throwing at it. For instance, I have a 6.5 mile one-way commute. Including running around on my lunch break, I've only been using around 40% of my 8.5kwh pack per day. Weekend day trips scrambling around the city typically don't use more than 60-70% of my available capacity. To have bought more battery capacity would have just been a waste of money.

I also didn't think about using the app to limit torque output for new riders. That's a great idea! Can also limit top speed if you're worried you won't be able to keep your wrist out of it!  ;D

I'm not concerned about top speed, as long as it can do 85mph to get out of danger I'm happy.  But there's really no point in going fast.  Its really all about quick acceleration and good handling.

My thoughts exactly, but don't forget the joys of passing up gas stations and waking up to a fully charged battery each morning!

FWIW, I'm about 190 lbs and I have no issues with performance. 30-60 roll-ons are breathtaking, and this is coming from someone used to a Triumph 955i triple with 128hp and 70ish lb-ft (though also 540 lbs). As far as performance comparisons to ICE bikes, I'd rate it comparable to a 650 (twin) Ninja in most areas, but with much more mid-range acceleration, maybe even close to a 675cc Triumph Street Triple, though the Trumpet will blow it away both off the line and at speeds above 70mph or so. However, if you think about what speeds the bulk of your riding will be done, you'd probably rarely be in those ranges where the Trip would get away from you.

In all, awesome awesome city bike. For commuting and city scrambling, I can think of no better tool for any rider of any experience level. For tours and day trips, maybe not so much, but for the less than 50 mile per day job, you can't go wrong. Just a matter of whether you can stomach the expense and how much you trust yourself as a rider to not wad it up.
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

scZero

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:53 AM »

It all depends what you're looking for.  I personally would go for more range and longevity of the bike.  Also your resale value will be higher if you have the larger pack.  I'm personally not a big fan of the powertank. But if you really wanted to do a long road trip, just think about the range of a 11.4 + a 2.8 powertank!

True what AustinSZF8.5 indicated about the larger battery pack and heavier weight, less performance.  In theory a larger battery pack is able to supply more current and should be quicker with a higher top speed.  I don't know what Zero is doing to limit that.  But AustinSZF8.5's review of his 8.5 is an honest one.   I own a Zero 2010 DS and now just picked up a 2013 Zero FX.  I'm more of a dirt/street type of guy as well as having things really light.  The FX has the option to run a single or double 2.8kw pack.  So I can be around 280 pounds with a 5.7kw (two 2.8) or 238 pounds running a single 2.8kw pack.  The bike is a wheelie machine even with both of its 2.8kw packs in.

I also read in a online review of the 2014 Zero SR that the SR handled great but then when they put the powertank on it wasn't as easy to throw around due to the weight being now more distributed higher up.  Trying to find the link, will post if I come across it.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:28:39 AM by scZero »

MVHSTC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 03:26:12 AM »

AustinSZF8.5 "bike is nice and light, center of gravity is placed well for very easy handling." I have read where the power tank makes the SR a bit more top heavy, Have you rode one and if yes do you think it does ? thanks

I haven't ridden one with the power tank so I can't say for sure, but thinking about where it carries the weight I wouldn't think it would be all that drastic. Would it affect it? Sure. Would it make it a crappy handling bike? Doubt it.

Battery capacity is just a matter of range. In fact, larger batteries will hurt performance due to the extra weight. I'd get the smallest battery you think you'll need for the tasks you'll be throwing at it. For instance, I have a 6.5 mile one-way commute. Including running around on my lunch break, I've only been using around 40% of my 8.5kwh pack per day. Weekend day trips scrambling around the city typically don't use more than 60-70% of my available capacity. To have bought more battery capacity would have just been a waste of money.

I also didn't think about using the app to limit torque output for new riders. That's a great idea! Can also limit top speed if you're worried you won't be able to keep your wrist out of it!  ;D

My thoughts exactly, but don't forget the joys of passing up gas stations and waking up to a fully charged battery each morning!

FWIW, I'm about 190 lbs and I have no issues with performance. 30-60 roll-ons are breathtaking, and this is coming from someone used to a Triumph 955i triple with 128hp and 70ish lb-ft (though also 540 lbs). As far as performance comparisons to ICE bikes, I'd rate it comparable to a 650 (twin) Ninja in most areas, but with much more mid-range acceleration, maybe even close to a 675cc Triumph Street Triple, though the Trumpet will blow it away both off the line and at speeds above 70mph or so. However, if you think about what speeds the bulk of your riding will be done, you'd probably rarely be in those ranges where the Trip would get away from you.

In all, awesome awesome city bike. For commuting and city scrambling, I can think of no better tool for any rider of any experience level. For tours and day trips, maybe not so much, but for the less than 50 mile per day job, you can't go wrong. Just a matter of whether you can stomach the expense and how much you trust yourself as a rider to not wad it up.

This is some great info, I'm kind of in the same boat where I live right around 5 miles from my work and most everything is city driving unless I need to go see my parents which are about 20-30 miles on the highway. I wouldn’t be doing much touring or long trips with it, most everything is within city limits here so that should be fine.

Thank you guys are all of your help, I'll have to get in touch with my "local" dealer to see if they can order in the base S, since this seems like it would be a good all around bike for my needs. I just wish they would let me test drive one with and without the extra battery power to see if its a huge difference.

It all depends what you're looking for.  I personally would go for more range and longevity of the bike.  Also your resale value will be higher if you have the larger pack.  I'm personally not a big fan of the powertank. But if you really wanted to do a long road trip, just think about the range of a 11.4 + a 2.8 powertank!

I think the 231k miles before the battery is only good for 80% of its capacity is more than enough , that would take me 15 years to use up if I drive 15k a year and I'm sure there will be something bigger and better within just a few years that I would be willing to trade up to in the years to come.

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 03:28:21 AM »

I'm about 1500 miles in on my SR. I personally wouldn't use the power tank enough to justify the cost or weight and the storage compartment is a nice feature. My commute is 30 miles and if I need to go more than 100 miles, I have other options.

I certainly would not recommend an SR for a first bike. Way too easy to get in trouble. Without gears, you lose a bit of speed perception. My first Zero test ride was on a DS. I took it on the highway and it cut out while I was accelerating. Turns out I was going 97 mph.
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

MVHSTC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 03:49:30 AM »

I'm about 1500 miles in on my SR. I personally wouldn't use the power tank enough to justify the cost or weight and the storage compartment is a nice feature. My commute is 30 miles and if I need to go more than 100 miles, I have other options.

I certainly would not recommend an SR for a first bike. Way too easy to get in trouble. Without gears, you lose a bit of speed perception. My first Zero test ride was on a DS. I took it on the highway and it cut out while I was accelerating. Turns out I was going 97 mph.

Thanks for the response, yeah with most of the info I've received from others on the forums, I think I will be going with a base S or 11.4 if I cant find one near me. Thanks again and I looked at your bike, it looks amazing!

ammonsh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:33:17 AM »

I live near Cincinnati and got my Zero S 11.4 from Joe's cycle in Dayton.   Probably where you would go.  It is my first bike and I can't believe how easy it was to ride.  Joey will take care of everything you order to be installed. Good luck.

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »

You are right about little Joe from Joe's Cycle in Dayton.  I test rode (at length) an SR Thursday and everyone in the shop was accommodating and helpful.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »

+1 for a Zero being a great beginner bike!  No gears means you can focus entirely on riding.  Of course, this makes it great for beginners and more enjoyable for experienced riders as well.

Both of my bikes have been electric and it was easy begin using it as my daily ride right off the bat.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

Another +1 for a zero as an easy bike to ride.  I used to ride traditional bikes as my sole transportation, then got a car and stopped riding for a few years, but recently wanted to get back into it.  Test rode a Ducati and was instantly reminded about all the annoying parts of motorcycling - the smell, vibration, having to wrangle the clutch and throttle in harmony or experience a less-than-perfect ride... not to mention the maintenance.  It was frankly unpleasant, and I was about to dismiss riding altogether until I remembered zero.

A zero by comparison is pretty fool-proof.  The throttle is direct and exciting, but not twitchy.  It does what you expect every time, without complaint about the weather or how long the bike has sat since your last ride.  Only downside is that they're expensive compared to a lot of alternatives, but the riding/owning experience is superior, so I say go for it if the cost isn't a stretch for you.

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »

I'd highly recommend a Zero as a first bike. I bought the 2013 DS 11.4 last year as my first motorcycle, and I have loved every second I've been on it. I was pretty cautious at first with the throttle, and while traveling at highway speeds, but after you get used to it, it's not scary but still exciting. It can be easy to get going too fast in a hurry though, so watch the speedo! The bluetooth tweaking options are great for the novice rider too. Looks to me like you're making a good decision. Have fun!

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »

I do have a bit of advice - do not stare at your gages. There is a lot going on with the screen and I ran a red light by accident. I was going to geek out and buy the smart phone holder until that happened.
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »

That applies to all bikes.

When I was taking the MSF basic riders course (back in 2008, after reading a Zero X review and realizing that elmotos were where it was at), the instructor yelled at me a lot to keep my eyes up and off of the gauges.

He was right.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:29:11 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 01:56:08 AM »

When riding a motorcycle no gauge, flashing light, or digital do bah should get more than 1/4 second of your focus.   

Death lies in front of you, look out for it!

ProtoMech is right, keep your eyes up.  Look at the digital stuff at a light, between glances of your mirrors. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »

Aye to that! This guy got fixated on adjusting his mirror at about 70 mph:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152604554299532&id=607809531

I decided to reset the trip on mine whilst in slow moving traffic and had to react quickly when I looked up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3