• April 24, 2024, 04:28:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rear wheel wobbles, belt tension is too widely variable  (Read 886 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Rear wheel wobbles, belt tension is too widely variable
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »

This afternoon to reply to another thread I checked my belt tension with the specific tool. And OOOhhhh my dear, I read 20kg at one position of the wheel and 40kg after a 180° wheel turn. My rear sproket is out of center but I can't adjust it !!!
Any idea ?

And then I made the rear wheel turn and again OHHHH my dear !!! There is absolutly NO play on the bearings but it look like the bearings are not in the center of the hub !!! The wheel woobbles a lot, even the rear disc is doing so. It's not the tire, it's really the hub.
here a little movie, have a look to the right side of the hub at low speed, you clearly see it's out of center !!!

Laurent

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Rear wheel wobbles, belt tension is too widely variable
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:15:46 AM »

I have never seen anything like that before and I have no suggestions, other than to contact your dealer or Zero.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:16:41 AM »

As I was thinking my rear hub was not machined "centered". Even with a bearing in perfect condition and no play, the hub flange is wider at some positions.
On the pictures you can see that the hub flange on the left is closer to the center than on the right. On the left side there is clearance between my dial caliper and the hub, on the other side no.
No wonder why my rear wheel woobles like that !!!!

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »

All motorcycle (& bicycle) tension instructions, for belt and chain, say to turn the wheel to the chain or belt's tightest spot and adjust the tension at that point. I've never see a sprocket that didn't vary the tension or slack as the wheel was turned. Seems to be a fact of life with motorcycles and bicycles.

Of course it's possible that yours is out more than most, but they all do that to some extent.

Trikester
Pages: [1]