• April 27, 2024, 04:51:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: replace drive belt after "ratcheting"?  (Read 909 times)

evdjerome

• View Profile
replace drive belt after "ratcheting"?
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »

Owner's manual says: "If ratcheting has occurred you should replace the belt before the next time you ride."

Never owned a drive belt bike before so it took me a while to figure out that I was experiencing "ratcheting". I thought it was some glitch with the controller because it started happening shortly after a recall job was done.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the drive belt "ratcheting".  I'm guessing it's happened about 6-7 times now total. 

Do I need to replace the belt as the manual suggests?  Or are they just being conservative and would tightening it be sufficient?

2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: replace drive belt after "ratcheting"?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »

I would check the belt teeth closely for missing teeth, cracks, or splits.  If you see any of these defects then you should plan on replacing the belt.  Fortunately, it is not very expensive, compared with any other motorcycle drive belt.  I think you will find that the cost is around $80 retail.  In any case, you can tighten the belt and keep riding if you wish.  The worst that can happen is that some of the belt's teeth will sheer off resulting in lots of "ratcheting" and possibly leaving you stranded.  If you have a way of getting your bike back home or to a shop (such as a roadside assistance plan), then you can chance riding your bike while a new belt is being ordered.

Installing a new belt should not be too much trouble.  The rear wheel comes off easily.  The motor must also be moved enough to get the new belt back on the front cogwheel, which means loosening the motor mounts and/or removing the swing arm nut (watch out for the set screw on the nut) to obtain clearance between the cogwheel and the swing arm pivot.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

evdjerome

• View Profile
Re: replace drive belt after "ratcheting"?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »

Thank you Richard.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)
Pages: [1]