• March 29, 2024, 08:20:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: After the rear shock now the fork is leaking !!!  (Read 2392 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
After the rear shock now the fork is leaking !!!
« on: June 28, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »

On another post I was discussing about my 2013 DS rear shock leaking. Well after 3 mouths I still have no warranty replacement and from what I know the french technician and commercial agent is even not responding to phone calls from my shop !
And now the fork !!! The left side is leaking oil on.... the front brake mounting of course ! Of course it's not the right side, it would have been too easy !
Does someone know where on a e-shop could I find replacement wipers and seals ? Or even shall I took a DNM or a Piaolli or Marzocchi front fork ? Which one will fit ?
It's a pity that the new 2014 fork and shock won't fit to the 2013. Am I right ?
Oh and I forget to mention: I'm ridding ON road with my DS, no freeride !
Have a great weekend !
Laurent
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:42:22 PM by Le Z Turbo »

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: After the rear shock now the fork is leaking !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »

The fork is made by FastAce (or is it Fast Ace?), a Taiwanese firm. In the U.S. they specialize in mini-MX motorcycle suspensions. Maybe an internet search will help?  No doubt they have a catalog of their suspension offerings and if you can determine the model of your front suspension, perhaps you can order parts directly from them or one of their distributors.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »

Check for the leak source in detail.  I think you will find your seals are good but the fork is leaking at the casting itself......  Seals may not be the fix.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »

Thank you both for your reply.
I will have a look tomorrow. You mean it could be coming from the junction between the forged part that retain the wheel and the lower fork tube ? I saw on the YouTube video of the Fastace oil change that this lower part can be unscrew from the lower tube ( http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTfc5nSepU ).

For the seal, on eBay you can find SKF fork oil seal and dust wiper combo for many diameter ( http://www.ebay.fr/itm/2x-SKF-Gabel-Staubkappen-Simmerringe-PAIOLI-38-BETA-EVO-fork-dust-oil-seals-/330601609647?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item4cf96439af ). I don't know if when for example they say "40mm" it's the inner or outer diameter of the seal. The 2013 lower tube is 38mm

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »

I've replaced my left fork once already and three days ago have had the problem occur again (on the new, replacement fork).  I did not look for the problem in detail.  I only went so far as to confirm (1) it was not brake fluid and (2) it was coming from below the fork tube seal (i.e.. not a blown fork seal). 

Zero was very quick to get me a replacement fork.  Their service was great!  It took me all of twenty minutes to change out the fork and I was back on the road.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »

You were right ! The leak is coming from the jonction between the lower tube and the lower casting retaining the wheel.
I'm starting a new post because I discovered that my front wheel could simply go off the bike because the lower tube is actually turning inside this part freely !!! On this new post I will show you the video. Living in France and my dealer having stop Zero distribution I'm a little blocked !!!
Thanks for your help !!!

There707

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »

Looks like my left fork is leaking also :(
I could actually see a small amount of oil leak down from the seal. You may also notice the small amount of oil on the right fork. Only 2600km.

Guess I am going to my dealer...

2016 Zero DSR 10th Year Anniversary
2008 Honda GL1800
2006 Honda VFR800
1986 Yamaha FZX750 (Fazer)
1982 Honda CB750C

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »

Get in touch with Harlan at Hollywood Electrics.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »

My left fork tube is completely dry, but the right fork tube is starting to leak just a little (not as bad as in the There707's photo).  Nothing to get excited about right now, but I will need to keep an eye on it.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:42 AM »

Caution Richard ! It may come from the oil seal and wiper but in my case it was coming from the fork breaking apart !!! That's really more dangerous !!!
Check from where it's coming

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:46:38 AM »

Caution Richard ! It may come from the oil seal and wiper but in my case it was coming from the fork breaking apart !!! That's really more dangerous !!!
Check from where it's coming

My leak is coming from the oil seal.  When I saw your warning earlier, I ran out an checked my forks.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

I've been reading this forum to decide if I should buy a zero DS in Australia. I currently ride a vectrix running on lithium cells. I was keen on buying a zero DS and with the current rebates in Australia they are at a reasonable price point. But these quality issues have made me decide to stick with the Vectrix. The leaking/ disintegrating forks seems to be a recurrent issue and hints at quality issues with the componentry. My local zero dealer is 160kms away in Melbourne - and that involves a lot of city driving. It would be extremely inconvenient for me to have to return to the dealer for these sorts of issues - notably if seals or forks are giving out after just a few thousand kms I would be going there 4 or 5 times per year based on my vectrix mileage.  I'll stick with the vectrix a bit longer.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 07:08:06 PM »

Brutus, FWIW they changed the suspension for the 2014 bikes, so that may have taken care of the leaking fork issues. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 04:35:53 AM »

Indeed, Zero went with larger diameter Fast Ace front fork tubes which required different triple clamps AND a different head stock on the frame so we 2013 owners can not buy the 2014 parts and mount them up :(

I have yet to hear of anyone having quality/reliability issues with the 2014 suspension.

There707

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »

Mine is a 2014 DS. Issue appears to be different than Le Z Turbo in that my forks are not breaking apart, just the seals leaking. With the inverted fork, I can see oil leaking from the seal down the tube. The mechanic at my dealer said it was likely because the seals were filled with too much oil and without the air space, the pressure pushed pass the seal? I am still waiting for official word if this will be covered under warranty. If this is the only quality issue, I am reasonably happy with this motorcycle. My dealer on the other hand is proving to be a challenge.
2016 Zero DSR 10th Year Anniversary
2008 Honda GL1800
2006 Honda VFR800
1986 Yamaha FZX750 (Fazer)
1982 Honda CB750C
Pages: [1] 2