• April 27, 2024, 02:09:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Custom mode setting  (Read 3571 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Custom mode setting
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:13:36 AM »

Naturally, I have been fooling around with my 2014 S's "custom" mode setting using the Zero app (the only thing I use my free hand-me-down cell phone for) since I have owned my bike.  I think I have finally decided on the best settings for the custom mode.  I have mine set for "0" regen on closed throttle, a top speed of 94 mph (which I assume represents maximum  power) and a 100% regen effect when braking.  That gives me a choice of "sport" mode, which seems to provide something like 40% regen with the throttle closed, maybe 60% when braking and maximum power. Or "eco" mode, which appears to provide maybe 60% regen under closed throttle, 100% regen when braking and limits the top speed to 68 mph (why? my right hand can do that).

While I am not a big fan of "eco" mode, I do find "sport" mode and my "custom" mode settings useful when riding and I will toggle between the two modes depending upon my riding conditions.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

krash7172

• View Profile
Re: Custom mode setting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

I have my top speed set to the max speed I can travel on the highway during my commute without getting a speeding ticket. It's like having a cruise control. I'm always in sport mode unless I am doing this or I need to conserve battery to make it to my destination.
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:56 AM »

I have a 2013 so this is slightly different. Also, I've changed it slightly over time.

I customized Eco mode to remove the high speed limit for one reason: I need to run away from dangerous cars behind me. It is very scary to have a sports car breaking the speed limit and you can only veer to the side. I keep the bike set to Eco mode normally, and only use Sport mode intentionally when I want to get ahead of crowded downtown traffic or demo the bike in a clear street zone.

I set the regen during braking for both modes to 100% and then just tap the brakes so that cars behind me are notified that I'm slowing. I use 60% regen setting normally for Eco mode under closed throttle.

I reduce the torque in Eco mode during the rainy season to about 25% because of traction issues on wet, rough pavement.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »

100% braking regen is definitely better. I do the same as you Richard. Except for long distance, I change the max torque to 4%, that's plenty enough!
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

GdB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »

I can't change anything or have a separate top speed in Eco mode.  What a bummer! 

Can you still do this with the latest android app?  Maybe it's only an older app version.  If so, an apk backup would be wise.  I have version 3.9 Zero app on android.

I have a 2013 so this is slightly different. Also, I've changed it slightly over time.

I customized Eco mode to remove the high speed limit for one reason: I need to run away from dangerous cars behind me. It is very scary to have a sports car breaking the speed limit and you can only veer to the side. I keep the bike set to Eco mode normally, and only use Sport mode intentionally when I want to get ahead of crowded downtown traffic or demo the bike in a clear street zone.

I set the regen during braking for both modes to 100% and then just tap the brakes so that cars behind me are notified that I'm slowing. I use 60% regen setting normally for Eco mode under closed throttle.

I reduce the torque in Eco mode during the rainy season to about 25% because of traction issues on wet, rough pavement.
My EVs:  Mitsubishi Zero                      (2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV and 2014 Zero S 11.4 Motorcycle)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:59:23 AM »

Naturally, I have been fooling around with my 2014 S's "custom" mode setting using the Zero app (the only thing I use my free hand-me-down cell phone for) since I have owned my bike.  I think I have finally decided on the best settings for the custom mode.  I have mine set for "0" regen on closed throttle, a top speed of 94 mph (which I assume represents maximum  power) and a 100% regen effect when braking.  That gives me a choice of "sport" mode, which seems to provide something like 40% regen with the throttle closed, maybe 60% when braking and maximum power. Or "eco" mode, which appears to provide maybe 60% regen under closed throttle, 100% regen when braking and limits the top speed to 68 mph (why? my right hand can do that).

While I am not a big fan of "eco" mode, I do find "sport" mode and my "custom" mode settings useful when riding and I will toggle between the two modes depending upon my riding conditions.
I have my custom mode set the same.  I have found that in most cases I can get better range with zero Regen on closed throttle.  Regen will never put back what you take out so it can be annoying when you are trying to coast and Regen is stealing momentum causing you to use energy to get back up to speed. This is most true for highway ridding... especially if you are drafting.

This is the main reason I would like a dedicated Regen lever on the left side where a clutch lever would be on an ICE motorcycle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:07:55 AM »

Does anyone know why I can't put 102mph as the max top speed in custom mode? I can drag the slider to 102 but it goes back to 100... Not that it matters much, just wondering if yours behaves the same. On a '15 SR.

By the way, 0 regen on throttle and 100% on brake is what I have too in my custom mode, 100% power, and full max speed. If I need less than that - off to Eco. I almost never use Sport, since my Custom is the same power and speed, but I prefer coasting at 0 throttle (although it is not true coasting - the bike still looses quite a bit of speed even at 0 regen due to electromagnetic forces)...
'15 Zero SR

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »

Hello Folks,

With my "new" 2014 S, I just cannot adjust anything in the custom mode. Basically, the app connects to the Zero (most of the time though), and all the display functions are OK, I even could upload a log, but when it goes to the custom settings, the fool starts. Description (in imperial units for easy understanding ....)

Max speed: when I adjust the slider somewhere between 0 and 95 mph, say 75, after tapping "OK" it displays 75 for one second, and then it changes to 95 (the max speed). Retried millions of times.

Max torque: When I adjust say 60%, it shows 60% one second then turns to 100%

Default values: if I tap "reset default values", it will show speed 70 and torque 40 for one second or two, then switch to 95 and 100 respectively.

WTF?

It seems it is impossible to set custom values, and that the custom mode equals the sport mode probably.

Any idea?
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »

I have the same issue, since the app update its not working, I guess we need to wait for another update, PS nice to see another imiev owner here!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »

I have the latest Zero app update and it seems to have no impact on my 2014 app function. (The impression that I get is that the recent app updates have nothing to do with the older model Zeros and are designed only to address the new Zeros.) The custom adjustment still works as well as it ever did on my 2014S.  So perhaps it has something to do with Europe?  I have no idea how to fix your issue.  However, my recommendation, until you can figure out a solution, is to just revert to your right wrist throttle control and speedometer eyeballing to verify your speed.  Alternately, ride in "eco" mode and that should get you to where you want to be with regard to top speed and max torque.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »

I have the app version 1.4.59 dated 14th Dec 2016.

Other issues: in drive mode the "kW" display only works in regen, the "Amps" shows always zero, and when charging the power/current only show "N/A" as other already noted. The 3 temperature values are not very accurate as can be checked after hours of storage at stable temperature where all 3 should be equal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:05:22 PM by hubert »
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 02:34:19 AM »

I have the exact same problem. Custom parameters are not saved, and return immediately to default. Basically, custom mode is useless now.
Riding a 2014 FX

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 02:44:47 AM »

This behaviour happens only when the app is connected to the bike. If you play with the app offline, you can set the custom parameters and save them in the phone. As soon as it's connected again to the Zero, everything is reset. As if there was an issue with the Zero's firmware rather than with the app itself. This would also explain why some of us experience the issue and others not. We all have the same app but not the same machines (at least not the same serial numbers).
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

rider7

• 2017 DSR, 100% wind charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »

Nothing in regards to the app, but a question you guys might have an answer to.

If I mimics the power output and regen of eco mode with my throttle hand,
is eco mode and simulating eco mode manually yielding the same end result in terms of increases range?

I don't like using eco or any other mode then custom with everything cranked up, since I don't have time to close the throttle to switch modes in heavy traffic, especially with 100% regen on closed throttle .
Rider7

32 years of almost every day riding all year round.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »

If I mimics the power output and regen of eco mode with my throttle hand,
is eco mode and simulating eco mode manually yielding the same end result in terms of increases range?

Yes, it's literally the same power output in any mode. The torque setting just changes the ratio of torque to throttle twist; it's just expressed as a percentage of the full rate (and the upper end limit ratio by extension).

I don't like using eco or any other mode then custom with everything cranked up, since I don't have time to close the throttle to switch modes in heavy traffic, especially with 100% regen on closed throttle .

I now always ride with a custom mode of: 100% torque with 0% max regen and 100% max brake regen.

This is after riding a Zero for three years, so I wouldn't recommend it for a while; get some fishtailing under your belt to make absolutely sure you know how that traction failure happens and how to recover.

It is manageable, though, because I always ride with a Crampbuster under the heel of my hand, so that I can fine-tune how much torque I'm using by feel. I also have an Atlas throttle friction lock on which reduces inefficiencies due to varying the throttle (seems like 5% range increase right there when I use it). I don't use the throttle lock in winter because I put muffs over the handles which makes it harder to operate and release.

Also, a throttle lock is dangerous on an electric motorcycle because any traction loss will probably fail catastrophically (the amount of time it takes to release the lock and ease the throttle back is less than the time it takes to lose control). But for straight-line highway miles, it's really just about perfect as a cruise control.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:02:40 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1] 2