• April 23, 2024, 07:17:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HPEV motors  (Read 1884 times)

ruairdhri

• View Profile
HPEV motors
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

I have been looking into HPEV motors for a motorcycle conversion, specifically the AC-9 and AC-12 and I have a few questions.

First of all I have found that a lot of the retailers of these motors state different values then the HPEV website does for HP and torque, I emailed technical support and they said that the values on their website were the correct ones.

I have also noticed that the AC-12, using half again the voltage and just slightly less current and with a slightly lower efficiency gets less HP (even though according to the other numbers on the graph it should be getting more). I have also found that the AC-12 continuous graphs (once you get above around 3000 RPM) show less HP then they should be getting from the stated voltage, current draw and efficiency. I have emailed technical support about this as well but it has been a few days and they haven't responded.

So given this, I would like to know if people have been using HPEV and whether they are reliable (specifically if anyone has actually tested their motors to confirm they get the values they are supposed to, or at least reasonably close to them). I would also like to know if anyone knows how long the motors are run to get the peak values, from what I have seen there isn't a set time for peak values for electric motors.

widoworx

• View Profile
Re: HPEV motors
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »

I built a Racing Kart based on an AC12 in 2012.  It is a pretty good motor, and I used it with a curtis controller at 72 Volts.  We overheated them, but after we replaced the motor driven fan with an external 12V blower, we managed that problem.

We moved to a zero drive train because it was a better power package for the weight and it packaged much better.  If I were building a Golf Kart, I would go with HPEV, but not for a bike...
Pages: [1]