• April 23, 2024, 04:26:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Always on 12vdc power supply  (Read 3482 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Always on 12vdc power supply
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:59:12 AM »

Disclaimer Disclaimer Disclaimer Disclaimer
I am not responsible for your ignorance!

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Always on 12vdc power supply
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:21:02 AM »

In that case, I won't try it.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:37:34 AM »

Fortunatly i'm not ignorant!. 8) .I did that mod on my 2011 and 2012 and it work really well!

In case you dont need 30A at 12V but that about 5A is enuogh for you, instead of buying some of these expensive DC-DC, just buy a 12V 5A switching power supply on ebay for about 9$. most of them can take DC and sometime as low as 40V!... the rectifire inside become useless and the DC travel directly thru 2 of the 4 diodes.

i'm using that kind of "DC-DC" on all my ebikes for 8 years now and it work realy well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-DC-Supply-AC-Power-Adapter-LCD-/200774923425

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:21 AM »

Doc, I got the question on where to find a 12vdc always on source from someone on the forums via a message. I would never imply you didn't know about this already ^_^

That stated your solution is a great idea. I have some of these sitting around which are pretty similar I will have to do some testing on :)

BTW I would love to see a webpage / blog of yours highlighting all your mods and adventures outside this forum if you have such a source.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

BTW I would love to see a webpage / blog of yours highlighting all your mods and adventures outside this forum if you have such a source.

Yeah, I know i receive alot of demand for that, but it's hard to find time for these things!

My previious youtube account was about 1.3milion view with over 200 video of ebike stuff. I lost it by mistake when i wanted to delete my google+ account i was not using and that i was tired of the two account choice i had every time i wanted to log in

I did not know that youtube anc google was together.. lol... Damn it !!

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »

I thought that when the bike was off that the battery was disabled to all devices. I know that the main battery terminals are off. Apparently, from what I'm reading here, there is 103 VDC going to the DC/DC converter input at all times. And the converter enable signal input is all that keeps 12 V off. Is that correct?

Trikester

pulsartaildragger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »

hi Burton , that's some really great info on the DC to DC converter . I'm trying to learn everything I can about my new bike. I look forward to see in the wiring diagrams , keep up the good work. Jim

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »

It appears I wasn't the first to find it just the first to share it ? idk

Anyway the wire diagram is largely complete. Now I have to refine it to fit on a canvas then test print it for those who want to print it. That said there are going to be somethings which are not stock but I think I have removed those from the diagram so we should be good.

I doubt whatever I release will be the final version so I will try to push it out asap. Might find time tonight to do some editing :)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 01:34:20 AM »

Great info, Burton. I can't for the life of me figure out what anybody wants to "turn on" with a remote, but I guess it's nice to know it can be done. It WOULD be nice to have continuous 12V for an alarm or the like.

Zero sales told me their accessory kit makes 10A available at 12VDC (of course, really 13.3V as seen on ICE vehicles), but they wouldn't (or couldn't) tell me if that maxes out the step-down converter or if it's just a limitation on the accessory socket, the wire gauge they use, or something else. Do you know what the converter is rated for, and what max load the bike puts on it? If there really is only 10A available, do you know if Sevcon makes a higher-capacity converter that would fit? I'm not going to go crazy right now, but I could see adding lighting, onboard cell phone recharging, a good horn, etc. to easily use up 10A.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:32:55 AM »

Great info, Burton. I can't for the life of me figure out what anybody wants to "turn on" with a remote, but I guess it's nice to know it can be done
I believe I was the one who originally asked Burton if he had info on how to wire up an "always on" 12V source for an RFID ignition.  A key just feels like 20th century technology on what I would consider a 21st century bike.  I asked Zero tech support for some pointers as well but they didn't want me sabotaging the warranty.  It would be killer if my bike just "knew me" and all I had to do was get on the bike, put up the kickstand and go.  Insert theme music from Knight Rider here ;)

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 03:08:03 AM »

2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 04:20:26 AM »

Great info, Burton. I can't for the life of me figure out what anybody wants to "turn on" with a remote, but I guess it's nice to know it can be done
I believe I was the one who originally asked Burton if he had info on how to wire up an "always on" 12V source for an RFID ignition.  A key just feels like 20th century technology on what I would consider a 21st century bike.  I asked Zero tech support for some pointers as well but they didn't want me sabotaging the warranty.  It would be killer if my bike just "knew me" and all I had to do was get on the bike, put up the kickstand and go.  Insert theme music from Knight Rider here ;)

I'm thinking of powering a Raspberry Pi or an arduino using doc's solution. Both are easily powered by USB and both can interface to RFID.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 05:22:32 AM »

I'm thinking of powering a Raspberry Pi or an arduino using doc's solution. Both are easily powered by USB and both can interface to RFID.

Shows example, includes links to supplies and source code on github

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »

I have been using the simple RFID reader you can find at dangerousthings on my bike now for years ... it works ... and if wired right even if it doesn't work you can revert back to a single push button start if you like. I have a switch used to turn the power supply on so the 12vdc circuit isn't draining the battery at all times.

I know of some other people who have used this 12vdc always on source solution to power other things on their bikes as well ... just make sure you seal everything up when you branch off to your power supply. And you might want to put fuses in place for anything you attach to your new 12vdc always on source. It is good practice and will make things tidy when you start adding more than one accessory.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »

Were you still planning to use a key for the steering lock? If the RFID reader is in addition to the key your supply would need to be always on.

The best way with RFID (or NFC) is to embed the chip on your hand. That way you'll never forget your key.
https://0xfred.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/my-nfc-implant/
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950
Pages: [1] 2