• March 28, 2024, 06:26:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Higher Torque Gearing Option  (Read 985 times)

ut-zero

• View Profile
Higher Torque Gearing Option
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:03:45 AM »

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_6&products_id=182

Does anybody have any personal experience with the 25T motor sprocket?  My dealer wants 300 bones to install.  I'd put it in myself but I guess there is some timing/reprogramming that has to happen as well.

I'm curious what max sustained speed would be (without overheating) and how much the range would likely decrease.  Could you run a larger rear tire as well?

Thanks.

krash7172

• View Profile
Re: Higher Torque Gearing Option
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »

I have one but haven't installed yet. You can supposedly reprogram your speedo / odo to read proper with the new sprocket but it isn't necessary. If you are worried about over revs/ over heating, do not reprogram. I won't reprogram mine. The bike will limit at normal MOTOR RPMs. Unless I am mistaken, your speedo reads high and you lose a little top end but the bike should protect itself as designed.

Dealer told me that I could install it myself.

Edit: a larger tire would only negate the performance effect of the front sprocket a the belt's expense.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:14:58 AM by krash7172 »
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
Re: Higher Torque Gearing Option
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »

I paid the shop around that amount for the gear and the replacement on delivery of my new DS a few months ago. The replacement is straight-forward, of course, but can become complex very quickly. The shop had to remove the motor and heat the shaft to pull off the stock drive sprocket. Pressing on the new 25T drive sprocket is not as difficult, but requires proper torquing, etc. The removal process probably damages most sprockets, as it did mine, but they are low a cost item.

My speedo is off by ~10%, or so (haven't checked against the radar signs), and I understand the shop can reprogram the unit, although mine did not do so during the installation and upon request. I don't miss the reduction in top-end, or max sustainable speed and do enjoy the slow-speed torque, although I have only ridden 5 miles with the original gear and am not experienced enough to compare the torque-performance differential.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com
Pages: [1]