• April 24, 2024, 04:58:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2011 Zero X Gearing Question  (Read 963 times)

motorfiets

• View Profile
2011 Zero X Gearing Question
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »

I recently swapped out the rear sprocket on my zero from a 71T down to a 51T. I am now able to ride at around 55 - 56 MPH max in mode II. Being that I rarely see that kind of speed in town, I have considered going back to the 71T and only be able to get 47-48 MPH max.

Question is... with respect to my range... would I get longer range on the 51T sprocket because I was "spinning" the motor less RPM's?

aelwero

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Zero X Gearing Question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »

pretty sure the main losses in range will be from pushing air harder at top speed (for something so light, air sure uses up some energy to move...),  and increasing the amount of torque you have to produce when you start from a stop.  I think the difference in energy from the RPM's is actually very negligible. 

I'm totally new though and could be way off, so smart guys... how close am I? :)

"Popular culture believes that Americans no longer want to make anything themselves... that they are happy to have somebody else do it for us.

I've never believed this. The US is full of capable and brilliant designers and dreamers. I encourage you to be one of them. You can do this"

Craig Vetter

motorfiets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »

and increasing the amount of torque you have to produce when you start from a stop.

Are you saying having more torque (i.e. - 71T sprocket) will drain the battery quicker than say a 51T?

aelwero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »

and increasing the amount of torque you have to produce when you start from a stop.

Are you saying having more torque (i.e. - 71T sprocket) will drain the battery quicker than say a 51T?

only when accelerating from what's been explained to me, but I've never had the chance to sit down and pick the brain of an EV guru... I looked into converting my jeep, and being so short, it would be a ton easier to make it direct drive, but the limitation has been explained to me as "more weight = more torque required to overcome inertia = power consumed with less efficiency"...

still trying to get my brain wrapped around wattage being a replacement for HP...  I understand the "volume vs flow" for volts and watts/amps, but when you try to bring it over and equate it with an EV and torque/HP, it starts looking like apples/oranges to me :)

The "pushing air" thing is my own observation.  It only took me about a week to realize that air becomes a really big deal at freeway speeds, and going through vetter's webpage recently solidified that pretty well for me. 
"Popular culture believes that Americans no longer want to make anything themselves... that they are happy to have somebody else do it for us.

I've never believed this. The US is full of capable and brilliant designers and dreamers. I encourage you to be one of them. You can do this"

Craig Vetter

eyeinsky

• View Profile
    • Elevation Aerial Operation
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

Hi guy

Why would you change the rear sproket? I have 4 front sprockets 13t,14t,15t and 16t. I find very litltle change in range.  Like said seed increase is offset by drag and higher torques.  The rear sprocket is the easyest to change  and only have to add one link set between 13 and 16t sprockets.

Cheers Jerry
Pages: [1]