• March 29, 2024, 03:54:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Variable Regen ? possible with the 2012 to 2014 controller?  (Read 4027 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Variable Regen ? possible with the 2012 to 2014 controller?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:39:01 AM »

My fuel-injected IC motorcycles have significant "drag" when on overrun with a closed throttle (about the same when in second gear as my Zero does on max regen) and of course the brake light does not come on unless the brake pedals are pressed.  I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years and it never seemed to be an issue for me.  I am happy triggering the brake light by activating the front or rear brake.  While I can see the logic in activating the rear brake under max regen, I am just not sure that not doing so is a safety issue.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

BTW you can set the Sevcon to use an analog output (it can drive a relay) if you apply the the regn brake function.

I did it at my stepless brake. 2012 MY use 24V for the main relay therefore I used a 24V relay. The relay contact are parallel to the brake light switch. Done!

I mention this because I am not sure with 2013+ the battery/main relay do most communication with CAN. As much as I realized the Main relay is not direct driven from the Sevcon vs 2012. I would need more looking into details what Voltage you can use or set at a 2013/14 model.

The circuit diagram is not complete up to date - but you can see on the left the brake box using a 5KOhm Poti for the stepless brake and a relay handling the brake light.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »

Arlo did a Nice job on his diy Zero for the variable regen wich is FANTASTIC !!:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmsDIFDQFgADl5sIP8GM0Lw

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »

From a UI perspective, what I would love to see is a single throttle, which has a positive spring and a negative spring.  Positive provides resistance to roll back to zero and is the throttle.  Negative provides resistance to roll back to zero and is the regen.  This is a logical way to present the variable regen function to the rider.  There is no situation that I can think of that someone would want to throttle up and regen at the same time, as such, it should only be in one control in an ideal situation.  I find that when I throttle back to zero and I get 100% regen that sometimes I'd actually like less regen, but I don't want to be restricted to two possible regen states, one associated with the brake lever and the other associated with zero position on the throttle.  I'd really like to be able to minimize my use of the brake at all times, and use the regen whenever possible, to minimize use of the pads as well as to reclaim as much power as possible.  That's generally the way I ride, but the existing response is rather coarse.
Pages: 1 [2]