• March 29, 2024, 03:59:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Variable Regen ? possible with the 2012 to 2014 controller?  (Read 4024 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com

I just wrote to  Sevcon asking about that.

I have a Kelly KBL serie on my 15kW ebike and i installed a second throttle grip on the left side to have variable regen. I really love it !!

You can adjust precisely the regen braking level to keep great speed during coasting.

ON/OFF regen like the Zero have  does not allow to recover energy and keep a stable speed... we need to  apply brage few times during going down a hill otherwise we just stop or accelerate too much... unless we drive on a hill that match perfectly the regen power already preset and the desired speed...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Variable Regen ? possible with the 2012 to 2014 controller?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »

Regen is adjustable on the 2014 Zero SR. You can adjust for how much regen you get when you close the throttle and how much when you brake. This is only in Custom mode though. The Regen setting is never going to be perfect unless you are trying to match it to a specific hill while maintaining a specific speed. I have mine set on about 73% at throttle closing and 100% on braking. This past week I rode out to western North Carolina to ride The Dragon and visit friends in Knoxville. Coming home yesterday on US-19 into Maggie Valley I rode for over six miles and charge level never dropped due to regen.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »

I use a stepless regn braking for about 2 years!

Didn't you know?
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »

Doc, I agree totally. I ride a lot of mountains and as I've said before if the coasting speed is OK without any regen applied then that is the most efficient, so I have my no-brake-light regen set at 0 for both SPORT & ECO. But when I need to slow (using the brake-light sw) I only have two choices which I have set at 15% on SPORT and 25% on ECO. On steep descents I have to keep momentarily hitting the brake-light switch. Disconcerting are the times that the 25% setting slides my rear wheel when first coming on. All the time I'm doing this riding, I'm wishing I could have a continuously variable regen. Especially so I could effect a "soft start" on loose terrain.

If this is possible through the Sevcon (& you and BSDThw say it is) I would sure like detailed instruction on how to do it. BSDThw did you post your project to do this on this forum?

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:36 PM »

I am not sure what I have posted. But I will collect some data and pics and make a small how to.
BUT
You need to add wires and change setting in the Sevcon -> you need the Software/Tools or the help of your Dealer.
Trikester Harlan will do this in a blink.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:46 AM »

Someone named Aida sent me all  the detailed info to HOW TO with great pictures f the right setting in the Sevcon programig software.

The answer is YES it is possible to add variable regen as Thomas and Aida shared!

My favorite regen setup is by using a second magura throttle grip but on the left side handlebar. and it rotate the opposite direction wich is logic and easy to understand with the driving reflex!.. you want to eregen, just twist the left handle the opposite direction. !

I installed that on my Giant DH comp ebike with the Kelly controller that also ofer that option.

Once I get the OK from AIda for sharing that,  I will post his instruction here.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:46 AM »

I AM SO GOING TO DO THIS!

Doc how much did the DVT and connector cost ?

I have about 40 connections left on my wire diagram to go btw :) getting closer.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »

Thanks both of you guys!

You need to add wires and change setting in the Sevcon -> you need the Software/Tools or the help of your Dealer.
Trikester Harlan will do this in a blink.

No need to say that! I already knew reprogramming would not be a problem with Harlan close. He has helped me with other Sevcon program changes. I will be with Harlan at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb races next week. It's possible that Harlan already knows all the changes needed for variable regen. I'll chat with him about that.

Trikester

BTW - While at Pikes Peak I'm going to ride my e-trike to the top, but not racing! 8) Sure would be nice to have variable regen on the way back down. ;)

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »

If Zero was smart, they purchased the Vectrix multi function throttle today in the chapter 7 auction. This way Zero can fit this to their 2015 bikes!
That would really be a nice feature for their bikes.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »

If Zero was smart, they purchased the Vectrix multi function throttle today in the chapter 7 auction. This way Zero can fit this to their 2015 bikes!
That would really be a nice feature for their bikes.

That's EXACTLY what I was wishing for-- normal "throttle", ;D with the ability to twist it beyond "closed" into variable regen-braking.  The slow-reverse if done when stopped would be a bonus!   ;D
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:44 AM »

I am debating using a "clutch" actuated one or a twist handle. I think both would throw off would be thieves that wouldn't understand why it is there. I could see them clutching in and being like WTF. Or better yet realizing there are two "throttle" bodies on the bike lol
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

Reminds me of the old Indians that had the twist throttle on one bar and a twist spark timing on the other.

Trikester

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »

My first question I had for my dealer was "Does the brake light on on during regen?" in finding out it didn't I knew to adjust my riding technique to tap or float the brakes.

Anything above 50% (or some set point) regeneration braking is BRAKING so the brake light should come on.

Some larger commercial vehicles engage the brake lights when engine braking -  at some point Zeros (EV's) should do it too because I wish mine did it now.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »

My first question I had for my dealer was "Does the brake light on on during regen?" in finding out it didn't I knew to adjust my riding technique to tap or float the brakes.

Anything above 50% (or some set point) regeneration braking is BRAKING so the brake light should come on.

Some larger commercial vehicles engage the brake lights when engine braking -  at some point Zeros (EV's) should do it too because I wish mine did it now.

You could do what I do and adjust the "custom" or "eco" mode (depending upon what year bike you have) so that you get max regen when braking.  That will not happen until the brakes are activated, which also illuminates the brake light.  Then you can set the throttle-closed regen option to 50% or less to where you feel comfortable slowing down with the throttle closed and no brake light on.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »

This is the operator accommodating the design's failure to incorporate tangible braking events into triggers for illuminating the brake light.

I feel it is reasonable as an available function to have closed throttle regen activate the brake lights at a defined percentage regardless of the brake pedal/lever's position because such regen is legitimate braking. All the feedback needed is right there for the designer to incorporate regen into lighting the brake lights.

It might be unreasonable for the brake lights to come on when I rise out of tuck as air braking, or drag along something because those inputs are not as evident as activating the regen circuitry.
Pages: [1] 2