• April 25, 2024, 08:26:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Is it junk?  (Read 12336 times)

flexydude

• View Profile
Is it junk?
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »

My 2012 zf9 quit at 3000 miles last year. Since the nearest dealer is over 8 hours away, zero sent a truck to pick the bike up and take it to the factory, and returned it 6 weeks later, supposedly fixed. At 9000 miles it quit again, but this time I just sent the motor for refurb. The bike ran fine till 13'000, and quit again. The recall timing repair has not been done yet since zero has only 3 cable kits to send out, and every time i call them, I'm like # 4 on the list to get the cables. So 7 weeks later the bike is still sitting useless. Shold I be upset? I don't want to belive it is an overpriced piece of junk. Every piece of plastic has cracked and had to be replaced under warranty, as well as the rear shock. I live down a dirt road, but that's why i got the ds. was going to buy a 2015 but now i'm going to buy a Ural instead.

motorfiets

• View Profile
Re: Is it junk?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

Yup complete piece of junk! Might as well just give it to me!  ;)  :D

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »

Explain quit?

My 2012 is having glitches again (probably repeat of 2.0) but it's much more manageable with the newer firmware fixes from last time.

Ie oscillation while starting = push bike forward and roll on throttle = pop into normal operation

motor cutout while in motion (1-2x every 100 miles) = return throttle to zero and then roll on = resume normal operation

Like you my dealer is far away, so until it gets worse I will live with it.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »

Explain quit?

My 2012 is having glitches again (probably repeat of 2.0) but it's much more manageable with the newer firmware fixes from last time.

Ie oscillation while starting = push bike forward and roll on throttle = pop into normal operation

motor cutout while in motion (1-2x every 100 miles) = return throttle to zero and then roll on = resume normal operation

Like you my dealer is far away, so until it gets worse I will live with it.

The bike I gave my daughter recently did the start-up dance once and the running vibration thing once, too.  Each time it recovered and now is running fine again.  I told her that if her ZF9 S ever starts to act funny, just pull over, turn off the ignition switch and turn it back on and it should stop whatever it was doing poorly and run fine again.  It does seem like the glitch-fix software is still working.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »

my complaint is that zero has not done the software upgrade due to the fact they haven't sent me the cable kit yet, been waiting a year.  the bike will roll, but i can't take the chance of it quitting on the freeway.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:35:23 AM »

If it could encourage you I also had all these motor problems on my 2012S.

I made all the lastest firmware upgrade and the motor was sent to Zero for repoting the Sin/Cos encoder and it work perfectly now. I did over 1200km since I received it and in every weather conditions it still work perfectly. I also mad ethe motor calibration dof the encoder vector wich is required after the encoder has been disassembled for repoting.

Sometime it does work...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »

And sometimes it doesn't work.

Good luck - but are you sure that a Ural is the answer? Why not a second hand airhead BMW - same technology as the Ural, better construction.

Peter

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »

actually I have had the ural gear up, 2013, for a year and I love it, even though it uses gas.

bigd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »

I would think that with the lemon law you could get snother one as it is like the 3rd time. Have you looked into it?
Honda 1300VTX

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

well after finally getting my motor and controller back from zero, it ran fine for 200 miles, then started running bad again!! John logan says he has only heard of 3 times this has happened on updated motors, so here i am again with an unrideable bike. What the heck am I supposed to think? This thing is junk. I think they are actually made in china.

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »

Just two words: Lemon law.

You guys are lucky in the US, de do not have these kind of protection in Europe -besides the two year warranty-

That being said, I understand your frustration...when you buy a bike it should work!
Unfortunately sometimes these kind of business happen. In my case in 9.000 miles I had no important issues so far, but some other guys have had a few...it is also true that I do not ride the bike everyday.

Ural?

If you want to go for something very very simple (mechanically speaking), it might be the answer, otherwise I would also suggest you a BMW boxer type...I own one and is a boom proof bike
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:54 PM »

so 2 weeks on, and the only response from zero is they (john logan) will call me after he talks to his engineer. This was 4 days ago and still no response. good customer service

flexydude

• View Profile
Re: Is it junk? yes it is
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »

so going on the 3rd week, talking to John Logan again, the story is the same. He has to talk to his engineer about this problem. It takes 3 weeks to get to his engineer? Oh, he is busy working on the 2015 motors. My next step is legal action, this bike falls into all the criterea for the lemon law.

edwin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »

Flexydude I'm right there with you. I'm being told my bike has a motor issue (at a whopping 2500 miles) and it will take 2-3 months to get a new one in and "tough luck." I'm still under warranty and they seriously think I'm going to live with waiting 2-3 months to get my new motor? How on earth can they take that long to get a new motor for a KNOWN issue with this bike? Are they replacing that many? And if SO then why isn't there a nationwide recall on these bikes? Something smells rotten.

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »

I just found out that grand canyon cycles in mayer near prescott, a harley dealer, is now a zero dealer too. I will be taking my ds up there, a 5 hour drive, this weekend so they can fix it.  I,m hopeful but not confident it will get fixed. Next time it breaks down I will be talking to a lawyer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8