• April 25, 2024, 07:53:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Owner of a FX 5.7  (Read 1646 times)

bammerburn

• View Profile
New Owner of a FX 5.7
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »

Bike is crazy awesome. Picked it up on Thursday, and I'm addicted to it. It's like a giant smartphone that flings me furiously around town. I already have a good supply of stories to tell about people's reactions to it, being the first person to own a FX in the region (I saw someone riding a DS/S around here a few weeks ago).

I have owned 12 gasoline-powered motorcycles in the last 5 years, and I have to say that the FX is the best motorcycle I've had. It trumps everything else, seriously. It completely fits me - someone who rides around the city for a half-hour to a hour (for fun, just about daily) and then comes home to plug it in to recoup the depleted battery (so NICE! no stupid gas stations!). I commute to work 4 miles each way from the city into the suburbs. Perfect. The quietness factor is super-sweet, as someone who respects his surroundings and neighbors. I pay my utility for wind power for the electricity used by the bike, so my climate change guilt has been greatly assuaged.

Any one have any caveats about the bike? I bought the bike thinking that Zero had hammered out bugs from previous iterations. I ride a lot so I need to know about anything so I can prepare. My dealership doesn't seem to know much about those bikes (facepalm).

One more question: How soon should I be able to aggressively twist the throttle? I'm used to warming up my ICE motorcycles, bringing them up to temperature before I can do some railing (I am hard on my bikes).

Yet another question: is the rear shock swappable? So far I like the suspension as it is, but I'm just wondering if anything else can be tossed in. I come from the world of the SV650, where there are plenty of aftermarket options to be swapped in those bikes.

Cheers and happy stealth riding! Here's a picture of the thing:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:45:54 AM by bammerburn »

pdm

• View Profile
Re: New Owner of a FX 5.7
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »

Darn it, don't make want one more! :)

There is this option on zeros site:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_6&products_id=120&zenid=6kbnu1kevq30jvc3g50u0dh2h0

One of my friends that used to ride Enduro says FOX makes some good products, so if I get one, I'll try it out.

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

There should be no reason to wait for warm up at all, and no worries about break in. All of the things that make an internal combustion bike need to warm up just don't exist on an electric. However if you are riding very aggressively you do still need to warm up the shocks and tires.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »

Its only a matter of time before you start seeing riders on a gas bike and feeling sorry for them because they have the misfortune of having to put up with an ICE.

No need to warm up.  Switch on bike > Lift kickstand > Ride like a loon.

bammerburn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »

Awesome to know that Fox makes a shock for those bikes! Fox is indeed a reputable company (they make racing shocks for the SV650 as well).

And good to know that I've been following an appropriate "break-in" with my FX ;)

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »

How soon should I be able to aggressively twist the throttle? I'm used to warming up my ICE motorcycles,
As mentioned there is not a worming up but if it is cold you should be merciful with your batteries the chemistry is slower and it won't be to good for the aging.

Any one have any caveats about the bike?
Don't twist the throttle to aggressive  ;D I nearly gone head over heels [heels over head] on Saturday just 50m from home weather nice and sunny and being too joyful and a bit to hard at the throttle :o
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:23:50 AM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 06:01:11 AM »

I did several small accidental wheelies my first day with my '13!  Now I've trained myself to sit forward and twist judiciously.

I have the Fox Podium RC2 shock from Zero sitting waiting to be installed (maybe tonight) and my forks are out to Lindemann Engineering by way of Hollywood Electrics getting an upgrade.  I ride on road and off and the original suspension is not very impressive, though it suffices for most uses.  I'm worried the fork upgrade won't do much to improve the stiffness of the smallish diameter forks but at least it should enhance their ability to absorb energy in a controlled fashion.

I highly recommend the supermoto kit from Hollywood as well, it's just S wheels and front rotor with a CNC'd piece to relocate the front caliper.  I've had it for several months and love it and the look.  Zero's parts (wheels, turn signals, brackets, and bodywork have been damaged and replaced on mine already) are very economical compared to the Triumph parts I'm used to!
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »

Always a good idea to warm tires up on a motorcycle but presumably you've ridden long enough to know that.

Peter

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 01:23:36 AM »

LiveandLetDrive

You use the S wheels (2013(black) or 2012(red)?) for off road too?

How do the cast wheels work off road?

I am not sure if I should go for 2011 wheels (spokes), but I know they had problems with the bearing. Tubeless would be nice but jumps on cast wheels. 
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Opa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:43:37 PM »

I purchased my 2014 FX 5.7 just last week. The Aprilia RSV-R was a great bike, but this one here.....is better all around for me. I love the idea of no more premium fuel and the additives that must come with it. Buying the bike gave me instant celebrity status, as you must have already experienced. Like you, I hope Zero has ironed out any reliability problems as I use this bike for commuting 36 miles up and down hills. and no, no warm-up, just switch on and go.   Central USA here.
Pages: [1]