• April 25, 2024, 04:41:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2012 DS power pulsing at sustained speeds  (Read 2068 times)

eyeinsky

• View Profile
    • Elevation Aerial Operation
2012 DS power pulsing at sustained speeds
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »

Hi Guys

I have question: Is it normal for power to pulse at sustained speeds. Acceleration and deceleration is fine, only this pulse when sustaining power settings.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Is this a problem? What causes this?

Thanks in advance, Jerry

eyeinsky

• View Profile
Re: 2012 DS power pulsing at sustained speeds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »

I seen this tread and was wondering anyone can tell me if this could be my problem. LOL I have Dealer here but they seem pretty lacking in tooling for the bike. Still waiting for the cables to connect to the bike.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2861.0

Thanks Jerry

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »

Hello eyeinsky. Yes it is a known issue, had it although it did not seem as much as yours. Your motor controller needs a recalibration
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »

How much is it pulsing?  What does it feel/sound like?  Does it come and go?   Certain speeds?
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »

I notice "pulsing" on my 2014 S when it is in "Eco" mode and when I am using full throttle on the freeway.  The bike will run up to 68 mph and then pulse on and off trying to stay exactly at that speed.  In my case the pulsing seems to be the result of eco mode trying to limit the top speed to 68 mph.  However, I never noticed that on my 2012 S.  I was able to run it up to 82 mph up hill in "eco" mode without any pulsing.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:24:42 AM »

Hello eyeinsky. Yes it is a known issue, had it although it did not seem as much as yours. Your motor controller needs a recalibration

feel like the tire has flat spot on it mostly noticeable a lower speed but still the at highway speed but feel because rpm is higher. acceleration and deceleration is fine.

Thanks Jerry

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:42:11 AM »

How much is it pulsing?  What does it feel/sound like?  Does it come and go?   Certain speeds?

feels like flat spotted tire no real noise. more at slower speeds.

Jerry

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

That's not like my feeling when I had the issue.

Richard yes the bike will keep your speed in eco mode, you can change that with the phone at any speed you want.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:51 AM »

Ok so this calibration is something to be complete a the dealer, will they need the cables/software and is this for the motor control or MBB.

I just want to be clear when I'm speaking to the dealer, i know they have limited tooling. will Zero ship the required tool to deal as required?

any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »

Ok I checked the 2012 glitch tread

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2800.60

So my simptons: no motor cut, no start up noises, no slow speed/starting issue,

I only have pulsing power at sutaind speeds only worse at 30 to 40mph, less at 50mph, almost gone at 60mph acceleration and deceleration work fine.

Thanks Jerry

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 05:58:20 AM »

Ok so this calibration is something to be complete a the dealer, will they need the cables/software and is this for the motor control or MBB.
I just want to be clear when I'm speaking to the dealer, i know they have limited tooling. will Zero ship the required tool to deal as required?

The infamous calibration for the motor control (not the MBB) is called the "SinCos" cal.   Your dealer would need cables, some software (a terminal program) and some training/handholding from Zero.   It doesn't sound like this is your issue however.   You might try putting the bike up so the wheels are free, and seeing if you can notice any odd resistance as you spin them.  With the rear, you can also try spinning with the motor as well as by hand.

From your other posts, I see that you have just acquired this bike from a dealer, and it looks like the bike is new.   Did this problem appear after you bought it? 
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »

It might be worth verifying that the rear wheel is balanced properly, the belt drive is in good condition, not missing any teeth, and correctly tensioned, the brakes are not dragging on the discs and the discs are not warped. (You can tell that I am running out of ideas.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 01:26:25 AM »

I spoke to my dealer today and they're saying there is a recall on the motor control. Has anyone done this latest recall and how did it go? Does any have any details on it?

When I bring it in this week, what should I get them to check for. The reason I ask is I suspect their experience level is low and I know guys here have had issues in the past.

So far I want them to do the SIN/COS cal function.

Thanks Jerry

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »

The infamous calibration for the motor control (not the MBB) is called the "SinCos" cal.   Your dealer would need cables, some software (a terminal program) and some training/handholding from Zero.   It doesn't sound like this is your issue however.   You might try putting the bike up so the wheels are free, and seeing if you can notice any odd resistance as you spin them.  With the rear, you can also try spinning with the motor as well as by hand.

From your other posts, I see that you have just acquired this bike from a dealer, and it looks like the bike is new.   Did this problem appear after you bought it?

Yes the bike I new less the 200 miles on it. It started doing its early on, only been a few days since I owned it.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »

It might be worth verifying that the rear wheel is balanced properly, the belt drive is in good condition, not missing any teeth, and correctly tensioned, the brakes are not dragging on the discs and the discs are not warped. (You can tell that I am running out of ideas.)

Best I can tell this not a balance issue, belt is fine, tension looks fine, brakes have no issue, the bike has less then 200 miles on it.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:46:33 AM by eyeinsky »
Pages: [1] 2