• April 24, 2024, 11:06:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lightning Motorcycles LS-218  (Read 6050 times)

thelastdeadmouse

• View Profile
Re: Lightning Motorcycles LS-218
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »

They may have but didn't include it.  I have yet to see a negative review from Translogic.
And besides, I doubt he had an answer that quickly.

Yep, negativity just isn't part of the show's format.  Normally that's something I'd have a problem with, not talking about the downsides of something is part of balanced reporting, but its clear that the show is meant to be a celebration of new tech so its fitting in this case.

I was interested to hear that they have plans for a lower cost bike in the future ala Tesla.  Its not terribly surprising considering Tesla's success and it seems like the kind of thing you'd say to attract investors, but its the first I'd heard of it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:50:40 PM by thelastdeadmouse »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »

They may have but didn't include it.  I have yet to see a negative review from Translogic.
And besides, I doubt he had an answer that quickly.

Yep, negativity just isn't part of the show's format.  Normally that's something I'd have a problem with, not talking about the downsides of something is part of balanced reporting, but its clear that the show is meant to be a celebration of new tech so its fitting in this case.

I was interested to hear that they have plans for a lower cost bike in the future ala Tesla.  Its not terribly surprising considering Tesla's success and it seems like the kind of thing you'd say to attract investors, but its the first I'd heard of it.

The "lower cost" street version has been around for about three years.  I have seen different versions of the bike every time I visit Lightning's display at the EV rally at Foothill College in Cupertino. Every year that prototype model gets updated and looks better and better.  I believe Lightning sold one of the early models two years ago.   At that time its performance was about what Brammo was offering with the Enertia, but the bike looked a lot better and had a better chassis and running gear. My recollection is that the selling price was around $17K. It is the red bike in the distance in the middle of the attached photo that I took at the National Plug-In Show in 2013.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:35 AM »

Here is a photo of the original version of the LS-218 race bike on display at the 2012 show. The bike has been around for a while.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »

I just found this photo from last year's plug-in event showing the Lightning display.  It also shows the lower-priced electric sport bike prototype in the background.  It may be the same one as I saw in 2012.  ??? I took lots of photos of the LS-218, but whatever it was about the red bike apparently didn't interest me at the time and I did not take any close-up pictures of it.   ???  I think it continues to be a "work in progress".

Zer0G

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:18 AM »

http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-review-ls-218/36470/

Nice review of the LS-218. Lightning says they want to produce 150 bikes in a first run. That seems ambitious for a bike that starts at $39k with (AFAIK) no distribution network and no support network. It's hard to tell how serious they are about actually selling; but unlike Mission Motorcycles, I think Lightning and CRP both will actually sell you a bike if you show up at the door with $40k.

Richard Hatfield also talks about charging.

The LS-218 ships with either a 12, a 15 or a 20 kWh battery pack, getting you a maximum range of 120, 150 or 180 miles respectively. Charging time is around 30 minutes on a DC fast charger, and I don't know many sportsbike riders who don't appreciate a half-hour break after a couple of hours in the saddle.
Lightning has claimed 120 highway miles for a long time for the 12 kWh pack; I've long suspected that this range was either a partial-highway test or using the landspeed record fairings. That range claim is now gone from their website, and the 12 kWh bike now claims It's also curious that Lightning is talking about SAE J1772 DC, CHAdeMO, and Supercharging on a bike that is supposedly ready to ship now; possibly there are different DC charging modules that could be attached?
...probably because Lightning will never ship a bike to a customer?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 03:24:13 AM »

According to their Facebook page Lightening is looking for dealers.

https://www.facebook.com/lightningmotorcycle

Perhaps they really do want to sell bikes. Time will tell though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]