• March 28, 2024, 06:17:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: OpenEVSE build  (Read 983 times)

frodus

• View Profile
OpenEVSE build
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »

I got the OpenEVSE last year and totally slacked on building it. My Brammo came with an EVSE, so I had very little reason to build it. Decided to finish it up this last week while it was rainy. Very easy kit. It's flexible enough such that you can spend as much or as little as you want. I went inexpensive on this build.

I first bought my OpenEVSE kit when they were getting the orders in. Now they have an online store.

The main page is here:
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/
The store is here:
http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/

Here's what I bought:

Stuff I scrounged:
  • 1 - Plastic enclosure with switch from the trash at work
  • 1 - 20A terminal for ground connections
  • 1 - 4" length of DIN rail
  • 2 - DIN Rail clamps
  • Various screws, cables, etc that I had laying around.

Assembly was pretty easy. I decided to just mount the LCD to the plastic subpanel that was already installed inside the enclosure I got. Relays, DIN rail and the OpenEVSE board mounted right to the back panel. Wiring was pretty clean and easy.

Here's what it looks like:

When I first plugged it in, I could hear the relays clicking (part of the test routine), and the LCD was lit, but it didn't display anything. On the back of the LCD, there's a contrast potentiometer and it was turned all the way one direction. After removing the LCD and adjusting, the LCD displayed a few boot screens, then "READY".

There's a few settings the user can get to using long-press on a pushbutton. It allows to enable/disable some of the tests, setting of MAX current, etc. The LCD has an RTC, so it keeps the time. You can also set up charge delays. I haven't flashed the latest firmware and I'm not sure what any of the new the options are, but it's all Open, so it would be fairly easy to change things a little. I know there's a serial connection available for a remote terminal. Right now this is for setup only. The Current Transformer is so that the OpenEVSE can detect a ground fault and stop charging.

Overall it was pretty easy to build and will allow me to do L1 and L2 charging at 15A, which is the limit of my motorcycle. I could have built it a bit smaller, but I could fit this in a backpack, or in my topcase when I finish designing a rack for the Empulse.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:11:33 PM by frodus »
Travis

Burton

• View Profile
Re: OpenEVSE build
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »

How does this compare to the Juice box EMW offers?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

frodus

• View Profile
Re: OpenEVSE build
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

Not sure actually. I got this before the Juicebox was advertised and before the Kickstarter.

I know the board that the OpenEVSE uses is much smaller than the Juicebox. Both have GFCI. Both Arduino Compatible and open source. Both can easily add remote serial comm (wifi/bluetooth/etc). How much current you can draw is really up to what components you use (mainly the J1772 cord and the relays).
Travis
Pages: [1]