• April 27, 2024, 05:25:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting ready to do my first conversion and i have a few questions  (Read 1945 times)

sumfoo1

• View Profile

Right now the plan is a 96-144v lifepo cell bank @ 70-100ah depending on what fits then running a AC-20 motor  (would the ac-35 be worth the extra weight?) Or should i look at the new 38kw water cooled pmac that just came out?

The pmac brings up a whole other slew of questions. Is there any way to run it at higher voltages and get a little more out of it?  Seems like being liquid cooled you could really push the thing with the right cooling system.

Is there a better way to get into the 60+hp ball park with a bike?

Now for the 100ah cell pack i've figured out i need  about 17"x17"x24" of space and the batteries alone will weight 360lbs. (yeah i know i'm looking at 3.5-6 grand in just batteries)

Its going to be a commuter/toy bike but my commute is about 23 miles, 10 miles of which will be on a road with a 70mph speed limit that traffic usually averages 80 (hence the umph and capacity required)

What kind of bike should i look for?
I really like the look/feel of adventure/dual sport  and even supermoto bikes. I  especially like the gs bmw but i know they use the engine as part of the frame and are shaft drive.  Also at the 70-80 mph speeds i'm afraid the rider position and drag will kill the range of the bike.

That brings me to battery management...  What should one use?
Orion seems awesome but is it really necessary to have aaaallllll that??

What kind of on board charger should i have for 144volts?
The el pfc 2000 looks like it might be a good choice even though its a little large.

Ultimately i've been saving towards an e bike for a while, i'm a mechanical engineer (licensed) and i have some decent fabrication skills and tools (tig, plasma, pipe bender, cold saw etc) so i think rather than buying a zero or something why not make one... or maybe something a little faster?

frodus

• View Profile
Re: Getting ready to do my first conversion and i have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:33 AM »

Sounds like a fun build. I would get the AC23 over the AC20, it's wound for higher torque. The PMAC combo is good too, lots of power and liquid cooled. 150V on the PMAC would be better, like the one from evdrive.com.

I'd get a bike you like the look of. Something with some room for batteries inside so things aren't sticking out of the frame/fairings. Motorcycles have shit aerodynamics, so just get something you like.

For BMS, you can go simple with minibms, or more complicated like Orion or Elithion. It all depends on how much information you want from the pack. All of them protect it, but the decision on how much to spend and how many features you want is up to you.

Chargers are fairly easy to get, Most ELCON are pretty easy to order if you know your pack voltage. Just try to keep battery quantities even, and it does make things a bit easier to find.

PM'd you.
Travis
Pages: [1]